All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[NEWS] GameEx 12.18

Tom Speirs

This release has had significant time spent on it with the main purpose of giving GameEx unparalleled touchscreen and tablet pc support. Every feature in GameEx has been optimized for touchscreen use and specific touchscreen features have also been implemented for MAME and emulators.

• Enhancements:
    • All features including search, pictures, ebook reading, video/dvd playback are optimized for touchscreen use.
    • Touchscreen and tablet use now has its own configuration page in the setup wizard where various settings can be altered.
    • Can automatically detect a tablet PC and configure accordingly. Tablet PCs don't use mouse emulation and therefore need some internal tweaks. This is automatic.
    • Thanks to Ben Baker, hooks into MAME to control lightgun and mouse games with a tablet PC and also the ability to send credits and start games with special taps/clicks.
    • For emulators clicks can be mapped to key presses.
    • Ability to filter MAME and GameEx arcade games for only touchscreen compatible games.
    • New screensaver aimed at touchscreen use, which shows date, time, weather, scrolling message and optionally slideshow.
    • Touchscreen setting to exit games and applications with certain clicks.
    • Thanks to Ben Baker the bypass disclaimer feature is now working with modern MAME releases.
    • New feature and setting allowing the ability to quickly resume to the last menu and list when restarting GameEx.
    • New help text feature. This allows a simple way to show information and help when launching MAME, emulators or applications.
    • There are now separate snap image and preview video paths for emulators.

• Fixes:
    • Many sizing, positioning, theme loading/restoring and scaling issues fixed and improved. Mostly for non theme editor themes.
    • Fixes not properly disabling the all games list when set.
    • Fixes weather icon no longer working.
    • Fixes issue where drawing primitives or weather could crash GameEx.
    • Improved performance of overlays when playing videos and DVDs.
    • Some minor setup wizard fixes thanks to Ben Baker.

• Changes:
    • Touchscreen usage is only supported with non theme editor themes (ie default themes).

View the full article

I've had no end of problems with this update due to the touchscreen settings... as detailed in this thread : http://www.gameex.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=10543&st=0&gopid=80822entry80822

To prevent anybody else from suffering the same problems, I will detail the problem and the solution here:

The latest update includes table PC options and the default is set to ON

I have a two monitor setup with my second monitor being a Wacom Cintiq Tablet that has pen input, i.e a touchscreen.

With the default options I could only see light gun games. Disabling the touch screen settings in the wizard fixed this problem and all is well now!

Many thanks to fRequEnCy who I was chatting with trying to fix this problem.

Sorry for the issue and thanks Frequency. Just wanted to clarify though the default setting is not on but "Auto". ie it will default to on if a tablet or toucshcreen is detected.

Thanks.

tom

Yes, sorry. I meant to say "Auto"

Blimey, I've only ever used GameEx about 6 months ago for about 5 minutes to test it out. I've come to do a full blown install on a fresh PC with "TouchScreen" and this completely threw me! Its very probable that this will cause problems for other people with touchscreen pc's that are desktop models too.

Oh well, everything is working just fine now!

Time to get this into a machine! :)

Glad you're up and at em! Freq is a quiet genius. Feel free to pop back in if you need anything else. :)

Advanced configuration is no longer updated or supported and is no longer installed in new setups. Please use the setup wizard instead. :)

Yes, sorry. I meant to say "Auto"

Blimey, I've only ever used GameEx about 6 months ago for about 5 minutes to test it out. I've come to do a full blown install on a fresh PC with "TouchScreen" and this completely threw me! Its very probable that this will cause problems for other people with touchscreen pc's that are desktop models too.

Oh well, everything is working just fine now!

Time to get this into a machine! :)

No problem, enjoy. I should probably disable the auto feature. It never occured to me people would have that setup.

Glad you're up and at em! Freq is a quiet genius. Feel free to pop back in if you need anything else. :)

No genius here. LOL. Didn't get to figure that one out due to lack of time and I had to step out for a moment. logik1 is the genius there. ;)

Aww man! I just noticed that when I press the down or up arrow in my games lists that GameEx doesn't completely freak out like it used to! Don't know what you did or how, but thanks a heap Tom! This and deleting my combined artwork directories completely made my day! :)

zomg! GameEx also stopped killing itself when I run FRAPS on it! Triple play! Awesome!!!

I guess I completly missed that part about the separate folder paths for artwork. That's worthy of a new version number in itself. Not just a .point. I already said thanks once, but this deserves another! Now to get them all setup. :)

THANKS TOM!!!

Without me trying it, has anyone used the help text feature? Does anyone have an example they'd like to share of this feature in action?