All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Marquee Magician

Krakerman

@Adultery I see in the past you using MM and maybe you could shed some light on getting this setup on my system. I just hooked up a second monitor and would love to have my marquee and vp/fp backglasses displayed on it.

Thanks

btw I did a search on these forums for some help on the matter, but none of them make any sense too me at all.

I did get GameEx Extender setup and working, but haven't figured out how to have it display the marquees yet as it appears to just display the snaps from my snapshot folders for each emulator. This feature also has a bit of lag before displaying the images.

Also My second monitor is a 1680x1050, but I have it setup vertically as this monitor can rotate as I like to use this to play MAME vertical shooters that way as they look much better.

Hey Krak!

I unfortunately don't need this app now that you can point GameExtender at the appropriate artwork folder you want to use. It's in the emulator advanced settings. Just tell GameEx where you want it to look for the artwork you want to display.

In Future Pinball settings there is a setting to display the backglass on the secondary monitor. You shouldn't need to get GameRx involved at all to make it work. In Visual Pinball though, you need to find the post where someone gave me the DLL for multiple monitors and hand set the DMD in the backglass for each table.

There is a way to use active backglass too, but I haven't tried setting it up yet.

Hope that helps!

PS: I use MAME mapping magician to send second screen games to the second monitor. Especially useful for PC10 and Punch Out among others. ;)

Edit: Oh man. I didn't notice before but you can't specify which folder GameExtender uses for MAME. That should be changed! I'll +1 it if you make a thread. :)

Figured out the lag as I had the refresh rate set to 7 secs. :P

Now I have snap not found image selected, but when it doesn't find an image it just displays the GameEx logo??

I have it set to a png image but it doesn't display that image just the GameEx Logo image .... it hmmmm is this a bug in GameEx?

UPDATE!

Actually found it's a bug with the setup wizard as when you select an image it just inserts the name of the png and not the full path with the name of the image. You have to manually put the path name it in the setup wizard.

@Adultery actually you can setup GameExtender path for MAME in the setup wizard it's under the MAME settings.:P

MM prob doesn't get used much as there really isn't any instructions or tutorials included with it on how to use it. It's kinda figure it out for yourself by looking at the example ini's which doesn't really help that much for the majority. It prob is really easy once you know how to use it but it's getting to that first step. It looks difficult so many just pass it up. As this is why I too have just started using GameExtender.

Heh yeah I just noticed I had mine pointed at the marquee folder on purpose. Lol!

My fault. It's been a minute since I had to make changes to anything MAME related besides updating the exe.

You should update the bug thread for Setup Wizard with that find so it gets fixed. Mine carried over from the oldschool way (advanced configuration). Good spot Krak!

Done!:D

This bug is in all GameExtender settings for each emulator as well.

So I got GameEx Extender setup with Visual Pinball and all I can say is WOW! really like having the backglass and DMD on the 2nd monitor. Now only wish is to have the animated backglass to work this way as well. If I can figure out MM as I like that it can be setup with many windows for displaying differnet images as well as high scores I see. Will tackle this one when I have more patience.

@Adultery actually you can setup GameExtender path for MAME in the setup wizard it's under the MAME settings.:P

MM prob doesn't get used much as there really isn't any instructions or tutorials included with it on how to use it. It's kinda figure it out for yourself by looking at the example ini's which doesn't really help that much for the majority. It prob is really easy once you know how to use it but it's getting to that first step. It looks difficult so many just pass it up. As this is why I too have just started using GameExtender.

This statement isn't just misleading, it is entirely false. There are detail instructions on how to set it up in the first post in the Marquee Magician 2 topic.

Perhaps you did not take the time to read the entire first post?

That post does need to be updated but unfortunately when I try to update a post I get an error, so I just quit trying to update my posts.

If you re-read my post Tempest I said "MM prob doesn't get used much as there really isn't any instructions or tutorials included with it on how to use it" meaning in the zip file. I don't think that is entirely false. I read your post and saw your instructions, but still a bit confused sorry. I was referring to the zip file ... sorry for my misleading post. You even posted previously about it not being used very much and I was just trying to make a statement as to why. I noticed alot of other post on this same subject and users not knowing or asking for tutorials on how to use it. I would maybe just compile a tutorial or copy and paste your post within your zip file. I am looking forward to setting this up myself my friend as it looks really awesome from some YouTube videos I've seen of it running in action. Hopefully I didn't get you upset as this is not what I was trying to do I'm just giving you a perspective from someone who is trying to use your program.

My post does sound abrasive, my apologies. I will make you a deal. You describe to me how you want things to look, and I will make a video of how to do it. I am only willing to bet Monopoly money, but I will bet you that I can set it up in less than two minutes. :)

You are the best Tempest. For me I want to see from scratch how to setup as an example say Visual Pinball. I want to create 2 windows one for the backglass at the top with the DMD and then the bottom half for how to play instructions.

Then show how to setup within GameEx as well.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing how this is done so I can try MM out!:D

I have noticed some issues with updating previous posts as well which makes it a royal pain to get updates submitted. Maybe Tom or one of the admins that have access to the forum software can take a look at it and see if there is anything that can be done.

I have noticed some issues with updating previous posts as well which makes it a royal pain to get updates submitted. Maybe Tom or one of the admins that have access to the forum software can take a look at it and see if there is anything that can be done.

I'm sorry for your pain, but I am glad that it is not just me. Misery loves company.:)

I'm sorry for your pain, but I am glad that it is not just me. Misery loves company.:)

Yes it does, Bro. So where ya been hiding? Are ya just visiting or hanging about for a while? Huh? Huh? LOL!

Yes it does, Bro. So where ya been hiding? Are ya just visiting or hanging about for a while? Huh? Huh? LOL!

Most likely just visiting. I don't like it when people have issues with my programs, and I feel a responsibility to deal with things as they crop up. It looks like if the forum would allow me to edit my post properly that I would have included instructions a long time ago. I would take it as a favor if you would let Tom know that you have been having problems as well. AFAIK I'm the only one that has said anything to him at this point.

Most likely just visiting. I don't like it when people have issues with my programs, and I feel a responsibility to deal with things as they crop up. It looks like if the forum would allow me to edit my post properly that I would have included instructions a long time ago. I would take it as a favor if you would let Tom know that you have been having problems as well. AFAIK I'm the only one that has said anything to him at this point.

I directed Tom to this thread. Hopefully something can be resolved. Thanks for the report guys. This is something I personally haven't encountered. Nice to see ya Matt!

I have looked into the issue several times and everything points to you having full global moderator access with no issues. I cant see anything wrong but sorry.

I will be updating the forum software fully soon, and if it is still like it after that I will raise a ticket.

You are the best Tempest. For me I want to see from scratch how to setup as an example say Visual Pinball. I want to create 2 windows one for the backglass at the top with the DMD and then the bottom half for how to play instructions.

Then show how to setup within GameEx as well.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing how this is done so I can try MM out!:D

Here is the video on how to set up Marquee Magician as you described. I'm really kind of messing with you, because I don't think that the video will help you much. I just wanted you to see how fast it could be done, and I still stumbled while selecting one of the folders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu5YRUkZcB4

Did you find the pdf to be helpful?

I will do a real video soon with audio showing all of the features of Marquee Magician.

Sorry my computer has been down the past few days as I re-formatted and had to start over due to several issues, but will check it out soon. Good thing for backups :D

Just finally got Win 7 updates all installed as that alone took the longest, but now my computer is back to being blazing fast and will soon get GameEx back up and running.

Thanks for the help with MM looking forward to checking it out.

• 7 months later...

Could you possibly run this MM with two separate windows and on your same screen as the mame program. I have always disliked the black boxes on the edge of the screen in MAME for verticals or the marquees that only cover 3/4 of it and I think it would be cool to put this on either side of the game portion in a vertical marquee setup or any artwork on the vertical sides would work. I am currently just basically magnifying the artwork through the MAME config. file