All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Direct x error on launch

flashlight

So if I had a similar setup couldn't I just map a drive full of roms and art and just serve it all over the house? Or is this not such a good idea? Run GameEx on the cab and keep like a 500GB on it for system files and emus, and keep everything else on the server?

Windows home server has a lot more features than just being a network storage box. with multiple drives it can actually combine them into combinations of "Os seeing them as one large storage drive" or one storage pool, one as pure storage/data, and one as a duplication of existing data. You also have the obvious feature of scheduled backups for any windows xp/7 based pcs. You can "open" a backup and actually browse folder structure to find your missing file/folders. WHS is a great safety net, in addition to network storage option that requires little to no maintenance. You can leave it plugged in somewhere on network and never have to do anything with it once set up.

@Flashlight - Agreed. I would love to build a WHS box some time. I participated in the initial beta testing which was kinda rocky for a while but it has a lot of capabilities. Unfortunately, there wasn't much in the way of offerings for boxes ready-to-go - just add drives and they were pretty pricey. I am currently running a W2K3 Standard Edition rig. While I don't have the backups set I am able to store more in my configuration as the drives are not setup in any RAID configuration to appear as one contiguous drive. Less simple than WHS, but also gives me a chance to work with the software still supported by many small to moderate businesses.

@Adultery - I think that you most probably could do so - at least with your ROMS and associated media. The choke point would be your internal bandwidth. You would definitely want to explore Gigabit routers and NICs on all devices. You would then be limited only by the robustness of your server (the more RAM and CPU cycles, the better) to stream your content. Any executibles (emulators and the like) would be best installed on each PC in your network.If you have enough storage on the server, you could set each machine attached for regular backups, keep copies of system default images, etc.

Just wanted to add the "running under remote desktop" is a GameEx feature. It still uses direct3d but allows GameEx to run full screen on Win 7 or above when running under remote desktop.. Possibly Vista too. It basically turns off running Direct3D Full screen exclusive and makes it use Direct3D windowed mode. GameEx should still run fine if its incorectly detecting the mode so its still a driver issue.

Cheers.

Tom