All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] How to configure many emulators for one system (n64)

Myghalloween

Hi,

One more time, excuse me for my english ^^

I explain to you : for Nintendo 64 I use many emulators because some games play with only one of them. But I have a single folder for all roms, so in GameEx, each emulator display all games.

How to have a single game list and when I click one of them, it play with the proper emulator ?

I don't know if you'll understand me...

Thanks for help.

The only way I know how to do this is with having 2 separate emulator listings. I know what you mean though; you want to just see 1 list of roms, and have GameEx automatically know which emulator to load for that rom. There is no way to do this. By setting up separate emulators though, you can have each emulator list the specific roms you want to run on it. You can do this 2 ways; either by making a separate rom path for each emulator and put only those roms for that emulator in them, or by using a MAP file. The advantage of a MAP file is that you can keep all your roms in 1 folder, rather than scattered amongst different emulators.

There is an option for Emulator Groups. Now mind you, I do not use them but there are others that have and can give you their expert guidance.

In a nutshell, you will have to have your ROMS divided for the emulators that you want to run them specifically in their own ROM paths. Then, via Setup Wizard, you will set-up the emulators for these ROMs in an Emulator Group. When viewed through GameEx, it will appear as one listing with all the ROMS, regardless of the emulators running each.

High Level Example:

Emulator 30

Project 64

Rom Path c:\ROMS\Project 64\ROMS (this path would contain ROMS A B C and D)

Emulator 31

MESS

Rom Path c:\ROMS\MESS\N64 ROMS (this path would contain ROMS W X Y and Z)

In the Emulator groups, you will select Emulators 30 and 31

In GameEx, the Game List will display ROMS A B C D W X Y Z

I hope this helps!

You don't even have to split up your roms if you use a map file for each emulator. :)

Groups are certainly the best way to handle this.

Map files are easy. Rom name and extension, pipe, display name. Like so:

Mario_Kart_64.zip|Mario Kart 64

Nothing to it. Just point the rom folder at the folder your roms are in and only the files listed in the map file will show in the list.

All these workarounds sound so tedious. I always wished GameEx had a way to set up multiple emulators under a single "entry". Instead of showing just "Play this Game", it would show "Play this Game on X", X being the emulator set up. That way you would only have "System Lists" with multiple emulators if preferred, instead of the current formula of "Emulators List". Roms could be all kept neatly in a single folder, and no need to group or do any other workarounds.

Doesn't seem like a hard thing to implement, but I'm not a coder so I dunno. Still hoping it will be implemented someday. :D

Map files are easy. Rom name and extension, pipe, display name. Like so:

Mario_Kart_64.zip|Mario Kart 64

Nothing to it. Just point the rom folder at the folder your roms are in and only the files listed in the map file will show in the list.

That seems easy, but where is the MAP file and how to point GameEx emulator config on ?

That seems easy, but where is the MAP file and how to point GameEx emulator config on ?

MAP files are generated by GameEx in the DATA folder of your GameEx install based on the files in the rom directory. So in your case, prune out the games that are not used by that emulator and paste them into another map file accordingly and also save the edited one as a different filename. The files are named EMU_#.map, # being the emulator number slot in Setup Wizard. To use one that is created by a user or yourself, simply point to it in the Advanced Emulator Setup section, setting MAP File in Setup Wizard.