All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED?] Internet Explorer troubles

hansolo77

Hey, has anybody noticed lately having trouble with loading up some websites, and general functionality of Internet Explorer not working? For instance, when I try to go to www.xbox.com, all I get is a bunch of error messages about the website blocking frames:

unled1f.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also, whenever I go to a forum website, like GameEx, it doesn't log me in anymore (ie; cookies). I've tried clearing my cache/cookies as a standard recovery option. Since Internet Explorer is an integral part of Windows, I can't really uninstall it to reinstall it. The cookie problem with sites like GameEx has been happening for about 2 days now, but the xbox.com website I just noticed today. Any ideas guys?

According to the help>about.. it's 9.0.8112.16421

It's really wierd. It act's 'kinda' like I have a virus or something, but none of my scans show anything. Used Avast, Spybot, Ad-Aware, Malware Bytes, even Microsoft's own built in utility. I've also rebooted half a dozen times today.

Yes han, your version number is the most important thing to tell us in first place.

The only thing I can say is that with my IE8 (updated to October 2011) everything is ok. I use IE8 because I'm stuck with WinXP. I checked the xbox website and a couple of other sites, although I use Firefox for regular web browsing.

Speaking of the xbox website, do you have Silverlight installed?

Yeah I do, everything worked fine until just these last couple of days. That's why I thought it might have been an update or something. I'm going to try to do a system recovery from a few days ago to see if that fixes it. I don't know what could have happened to screw everything up.

I'm using Windows 7 x64... I tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions of IE with the same results. I don't have anything else installed. On my home server, I have a different version of IE installed, and IT connects to xbox.com fine. I also used my dad's computer, and it's fine as well. Its definately something on this computer. I'm going to try to revert to an earlier state and see if it fixes it.

I'm going to try to revert to an earlier state and see if it fixes it.

You could try a reinstall before reverting to a previous state. Unless your system had no changes at all in the previous days, system restore "offers" more damage than benefits...

I dunno, it seems to be working like it should now. It's wierd that everything would suddenly start doing that. It wasn't just xbox.com, it was pretty much every website that had frames. I never heard of a website that uses frames to be preventing content to load within their frameset they themselves created. WIERD. As for the cookies, I did have to relogin again, but after closing and reopening, it looks like it's storing them right now. Something must have gotten corrupted somewhere. Don't know how or when, but it looks like it's all good now. Thanks for the help guys.

:)

Probably wouldn't hurt to delete temporary internet files several times a week (or change the setting under Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab to Delete temporary internet files when browser is closed).