All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Thinking of replacing the trackball with this...

Adultery

I read on the BYOACWiki that instead of spending $50 +shipping on a neat colored 3" trackball from Suzo-Happ (what a screw job that place is on the shipping!!!), many people opt to buy juggling balls instead. I hit up Amazon and found this for about $25 shipped:

Amazon Acrylic Juggling Ball

I know the ball is the right size (3"), just wondering how they perform... It sure would look nice on my CP, and I could mount an extra LED wedge bulb/socket I have left from playing with colored lights on the coin door project that lets some of the light through (the XArcade trackball even has a place to mount said socket). Anyone done this?

Well, my kids donated their Fushigi to the cause. Works pretty damn well actually. Here's a pic of it in action:

$9.00 on Amazon, and it does the job well. :)

I'll still probably get an acrylic one though, it'll look a little nicer and transmit the light a bit better.

Still, cool idea BYOAC! :D

When it comes time to lose some fingers to the table saw, er, um, build my own cab, I will have to keep this in mind! Initially my concern was how much the acrylic weighs compared to the OEM trackball? I am sure there are some weight limitations as the additional mass would put wear on the rollers outside of design tolerances and wear-down/break easier. On further review of the juggling balls they should be alright, maybe even a little lighter (which may be a different obstacle to overcome) but since I don't have one will have to live vicariously through your experiences!