All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Surround Sound in Windows 7

hansolo77

Ok, this is indirectly related to GameEx, so I put the thread over here...

With Draco working on the Steam database, I decided to go ahead an reinstall the program and work on downloading my games through it and setting up GameEx for it. That was the easy part. Now I'm going through my games and setting up their defaults, like the game resolution, controller layout, etc. One thing I noticed is that it defaults the sound to just 2 speakers. I have my PC hooked up through the SPDIF to my Denon A/V Receiver. It's a 7.1 capable reciver. This has got me in a troubleshooting mood (even though I'm not really feeling at all up to it). When I look at the sound device in Windows, it only displays a 2-speaker option:

example1.png

I tried to do a driver update via the driver tab of the device, it said it had the latest version. I didn't buy that, so I went to Realtek's website and downloaded their latest global driver for High Definition Audio Devices. Installed it, rebooted, same results. I still only have the 2-speaker options. One interesting thing though is that when I do a PLAY test for the other formats, like Dolby Digital and DTS, they play fine, and the receiver switches to those formats, and play them through all the speakers like they should. This is also the case if I watch any movies through the DVD Player, or High Def with the DTS; the receiver changes modes and broadcasts in full surround sound.

So is the 2-speaker limitation I'm seeing the direct conflict of the games I'm trying to play? I should also mention that although I have the option in the games to switch up to 5.1, 7.1, etc, it doesn't save them after I exit the game, and it doesn't play through those speakers when I exit the setup menu.

I'd really like some help here. I don't know what else to try. I really thought it might have been a driver issue, but if it works in DTS/Dolby, there's no reason it can't work in any other mode.

My experience has been that if the program is programmed for Dolby 5.1 sound, even though you have 7.1, only 5.1 will work. If standard 2 speaker - no matter your system max, the program will only play sound for the max format it is programmed.

Likewise, if you only have two speakers and the program uses Dolby 7.1, your PC is going to down-convert the sound to yoru two speaker setup.. I wish it would make 5 more speakers and a subwoofer magically appear, but alas... B)

If the games have the ability to use those options, not entirely sure what to tell you if the settings are not saving as resolution for one may not work for th eother. I would check to see if there are any Read Only restrictions on the game's folders and contents.

Well, after writing the OP, I went back to try it again, and it IS saving the 5.1 setting in the game now, but it doesn't play sound through all the speakers. It still plays sound only through the front 2. Kinda bummed I can't figure this one out. It looks like it's just not sending a 5.1 signal, or the receiver isn't recognizing 5.1 because Windows is force limited to just send 2 channels.

The SPDIF interface is only capable of playing 2 channel sound in PCM format which is what most games output. Movies and a select few games output in Dolby Digital or DTS which is encoded in surround sound and passable through the SPDIF connection.

The only way to get surround sound in your games is to buy a motherboard or sound card that supports Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect encoding. Basically what that will do is take the PCM multichannel sound that your game is outputting and encode it on the fly to a Dolby digital or DTS stream which can be passed over SPDIF and decoded at your receiver.

If you dont want to buy any new equipment you have the option of passing the 2 channels and having the receiver upconvert it with Dolby Pro Logic or whatever technology it supports (better than nothing). Or use the miniplugs if your receiver supports it. If you use the mini plugs you have the disadvantage of lots of cables and all decoding (meaning movies) will have to be done at the PC instead of the receiver. Your sound quality will also now be dependent on the computer instead of the receiver.

Wow. See? That's what I was looking for. :) Somebody with a little bit of audiophile intelligence. :) Thanks for the comment LB11. I don't really want to go and buy a new motherboard so I can have surround sound in my games. Kinda seems wasteful, since there's nothing wrong with it right now. As for Dolby Pro Logic, I never considered that. Do you know, will it be true surround, or just stereo being outputted amongst all the speakers? I though Pro Logic was like a faux-surround, imitating true surround, kinda like converting monaural sound into faux-stereo.