All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Project 64 is DEAD

mesk

I think most people already suspected this but it now seems official that PJ64,the best N64 emulator ever,is dead.

Jabo,one of the developers,the one who made the best plugins has stepped away from the project.PJ64 1.7 was supposed to be released many times but never did.

Lucky for us,Jabo decided to release all the progress he has made to the 1.7 plugins.You can grab it HERE

It is a installer,but in order for it to work(for me),you should reinstall pj64 1.6 july 2011 build.then install the update pack.In it is his most up to date D3D81.6.1 video plugin,1.6.1 audio (which still isnt as good as azimers's WIP2 audio plugin) and 1.6.1 input plugin.

The video plugin makes a huge difference.strongly recommended.the input plugin is good as well,its nice and clean its not cludded up with to many options

Isn't this the same as was available to those of us unlucky enough to have donated? I use PJ64 1.7 already.

I cant answer that buddy as im not sure.I can say that I acquired a version of 1.7b23 about 9 months ago or so and while it did fix some stuff,it broke alot of other stuff.Which is to be expected since it isnt a stable release like 1.6,its beta.I have used 1.6 since then with no problems

It does not update to 1.7,after installing the patch it is still 1.6

[iNSERT SOUND OF TAPS PLAYING HERE] Support for yet another good emulator bites the dust and mediocrity prevails. Seems we are losing 2 for every new one created as of late. :angry:

whats really a shame is the remaining PJ64 team refusal to release the source,thus making pj64 open source.

open source emulators are the best,look at nestopia,if the original author hadnt made it open source,we would still be using 1.36 with all its audio problems.but since he did release the source,we have 1.41a that works great.

Open source PJ64 PLEASE!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

It might be more accurate to say that itâ??s in a persistent vegetative state. Technically I havenâ??t seen anything to indicate that Zilmar has left the project, but yes, my impression is that Jabo was probably the more active, prolific developer of the pair (at least in recent times). His absence will likely mean that the project is over for the time being (and maybe for good). Really though, itâ??s not like this is a huge departure from the â??normalâ?? release cycle for Project64. Itâ??s been dead for quite a while on any sort of meaningful level (at least as far as I can tell).

I would also love to see Project64 go open-source in the future, but given the history of this emulator Iâ??m just not sure that weâ??ll see that happen. It's a shame really.

It might be more accurate to say that itâ??s in a persistent vegetative state. Technically I havenâ??t seen anything to indicate that Zilmar has left the project, but yes, my impression is that Jabo was probably the more active, prolific developer of the pair (at least in recent times). His absence will likely mean that the project is over for the time being (and maybe for good). Really though, itâ??s not like this is a huge departure from the â??normalâ?? release cycle for Project64. Itâ??s been dead for quite a while on any sort of meaningful level (at least as far as I can tell).

I would also love to see Project64 go open-source in the future, but given the history of this emulator Iâ??m just not sure that weâ??ll see that happen. It's a shame really.

It has been in a vegetative state for a few years now,lol.But yes,it is a shame that a already good emulator isnt going to be continued.There are a few unemulated N64 games and it really sucks that they are going to be lost.

Yes you are correct,it isnt much of a change from the norm of PJ64,like I said Im pretty sure everyone knew this was the case,it just was never announced.Not a good day for emulation :(

[iNSERT SOUND OF TAPS PLAYING HERE] Support for yet another good emulator bites the dust and mediocrity prevails. Seems we are losing 2 for every new one created as of late. :angry:

Agreed. It is really close to emulation on some games, would have been nice to have a finished polished version. Still can't play Shadows of the Empire with out glitchiness on either PJ64 or Sixtyforce (mac). That's bogus for me since it's my favorite Star Wars game.

What a shame about PJ64 luckly all the games the kids i wanna play are working in the cab and I hadnt updated PJ64 for a while but is still a shame that its gone.

Agreed. It is really close to emulation on some games, would have been nice to have a finished polished version. Still can't play Shadows of the Empire with out glitchiness on either PJ64 or Sixtyforce (mac). That's bogus for me since it's my favorite Star Wars game.

Shadows of the Empire was great. It was LucasArt's attempt to go all out with a production title that includes everything under the sun as if a new movie was released, but wasn't. And I've got most of it too. We had the N64 game, and I loved it. I also had all the comics (somehow they're gone?) and the Trade Paperback (still got this!). I have the soundtrack (woot!) and the novel! I had (but grew out of) 3 tshirts. The only stuff I didn't have were the board game, trading card game, socks, hat, pens/pencils, toys (like they went ALL out on toys/action figures). Ok, well maybe I didn't have most, but I certainly have/had a lot! I even had a keychain with the logo on it, but I sat on my keys and it broke! It was a great story, and really filled the gap between episodes 5 and 6. Kinda made me want to go back and write my own novel for the mid-story between episodes 4 and 5, but figured somebody else out there in the world would probably beat me to it.

As far as Shadows of the Empire goes, many people have reported success with Mupen64. I haven't had too much trouble with PJ64, but I've also never played to the point in the game where many people report the need to reconfigure plugin settings mid-game using PJ64. There's a guy called Bighead that has a fairly comprehensive list of best known plugin settings covering a wide range of N64 games (also including most of the popular emulators). I wouldn't go so far as to call it gospel, but it's the best list of this type that I've seen for N64 emulation.

Bigheadâ??s N64 Multiple Game Configuration

If PJ64 isn't cutting it for Shadows of the Empire, I'd definitely give Mupen64 a shot using the settings in that guide.

/side note: If PJ64 went open source, what would come of it ready? Pretty sure 1964 is open source and no one is actively working on that afaik.

@ Han, I'm glad you share some of the enthusiasm for that game as I do. A friend of mine had SOTE on his 64 the day it came out and we played it til it was finished the moment he had it. Good times, great game and story. Star Wars nerd here as well.

@ nullP, thanks for the tip! I'll definatley try out Mupen64 and the Bigheads link.

Yeah, not too many good Star Wars games out there. Shadows is up there pretty high on the list. Probably tied for first with The Force Unleashed (the 2nd one sucked so bad, I hate that I bought it). The problem is that the N64 got the development rights to the game. So many N64 games are also available on the PlayStation. I wish it was available on the PSX, I'd probably still be playing it. I just hated the N64 controller. :) But then again, Nintendo has released a new controller for every system they've ever made. Kinda silly if you ask me.

• 1 month later...