All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Mame games will not run in full screen

needlefluff

Sorry to be a pain, but I am having a few problems with my mame games in Gameex. Everything seems to work fine when i test the games on my pc monitor, but when i run it on my arcade cab monitor, the games will not display in full screen. I am using an Ultimarc VGA3000 card and the arcade monitor is a 1992 Hantarex polo 20 which i believe is a standard res monitor. I have tried adjusting various settings in the gameex menu, inc the trying the F.A.Q section on 'game not in full screen'. I am now struggling and It is begining to stress me out. I am not the best with computers, this is all a learning curve for me. Oh and 'GameEx has encountered a problem' keeps popping up.

Please please help me. I am really looking forward to getting this sorted and start enjoying my mame cab!

Andy

Welcome to the forums! Welcome to GameEx! The community here is top notch, and I'm sure we'll find your solution in no time.

First and foremost, you'll need to tell us a little more about your setup. Can you please post a copy of your gameex.ini file and your log? This will help use better troubleshoot where the problem is. If you're having 'GameEx has encountered a problem' then there is probably something not configured right.

Have you tried running MAME outside of GameEx to see if you have MAME setup right?

Are you using MAME or AdvanceMAME?

If I had to guess I'd say try adding a command-line switch in MAME to use the aspect 640x480 or 800x600 depending on what the monitor can support.

I think that we need to establish whether or not he is able to run any ROMS in MAME at all with the Hantarex Polo connected. We will also need to know at what resolution is he trying to run it, etc. The arcade monitors usually require a lower res (max 640x480 at 15khz) and it is possible he may need a 3rd party software (for some reason the name Soft Res comes to mind) if the video card does not natively provide for it.

I thought AdvanceMAME was supposed to handle arcade monitors rather well? Or is the build way out of date?

Not sure what level of support if any is provided for it. I would imagine that unless you had ROMs compatible with that latest build there could be other issues. It is unclear what OS and MAME version/build we are dealing with.

Andy - can you provide a copy of your log.txt file and also let us know what version/service pack you are running for Windows, also what MAME version/build?

I thought AdvanceMAME was supposed to handle arcade monitors rather well? Or is the build way out of date?

I think its MAMEplus that does that now,advanced mame hasnt been updated since 2009

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, Thanks for the replies. Looks like i have got some work to do! I have contacted Andy at ultimarc about the problem as I have just bought the VGA card from him and has requested I return it to him to test, as he suggested it wasn't sending the 15khz my monitor requires and was sending 31khz.....??? This might be the cause of all the problems, so as soon as i get the card back, I will set about gathering the info you require. I am getting a headache already!!!!! I am worried this is all above me now. This is gonna be a big learning curve for me. I will be in touch soon. Wish me luck!

Andy

Andy is awesome like that. Don't worry about the curve, lots of people to help with that. The reward is completely worth it. :)

Yeah he has been great. I am happy to hear I have the friendly support i need. I have a feeling I may have to start from scratch with recommended file setup and a serious sort out with the roms etc... I feel I may have made a bit of a mess of things...??.. I am now desperate to get this baby up and running by the end of the month. Got to entertain some guests!

• 2 weeks later...

Great news! I have resolved the issue with Andy at Ultimarc. It turns out that it was a VGA card driver issue. It was sending 31khz constant, and i only needed 15khz. Re-installed the card drivers and all is well. What a relief!

Fantastic. I do have a few niggley issues but im gonna make sure everything is set up correctly before i post anything.

Thanks everyone.

Andy

Edited by Draco1962
This thread is marked as Resolved and is now closed. If the problem re-occurs, please start a new thread.