All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Good Gaming & Emulation Sites (Other Than Here)

nullPointer

First let me say that I probably spend more time in these forums than I spend anywhere else on the internet. These forums are simply the best. Having said that, man cannot survive on bread alone. I’m curious what other web sites the GameEx community relies on for emulation and gaming information. Good emulation sites seem rather hard to come by, so in some ways I’m more interested in discovering new sites with a focus on emulation. Having said that, I’m still always keen to check out good gaming sites, though I prefer those that focus on retro-historic systems (since that's kind of what I am ;)). Any good gaming podcasts I should check out?

Here’s a few sites I frequent semi-regularly:

Emulation

Build Your Own Arcade Forums – Awesome forums and a great community. I always find something interesting here, but I don’t have an arcade cabinet so a lot of it goes right over my head. Someday I’ll start that project . . .

Ngemu.com (and its associated forums) – Sort of indifferent about this one. It's a relatively good source of emulation news. Most of the users seem to be either involved in the development of emulators (which is awesome), or snarky 15 year olds (which is well . . . not so much).

General gaming

RetroGaming with Racketboy – This has been my favorite general gaming site for a number of years. I’d love to find more sites in this vein. Somehow, this reminds me of some of the gaming sites I used to frequent in the late 90s

Podcasts – To be honest I don’t listen to/watch podcasts on any sort of a regular basis, so I don’t really have any favorites. I’d love to hear about any good ones that focus on gaming or emulation though.

Some sites with ROMS are OK provided that the ROMS they provide are Public Domain (i.e., Homebrew or former commercial versions released to the public by the manufacturer with no copyright violation). If it isn't clear that the content of the sites ROMS meet the definition of Public Domain, don't post them.

Here are a few that I frequent occasionally - mind you these are not necessarily gaming or emu sites:

Missing Remote - "Your source for everything home theater & HTPC related"

Flaming Text - Logo Design and Name Generator - An excellent source from groovy text and effects.

Computer History Museum - The first 2000 years of computing (So you might actually LEARN something other than that killer button combo that smites all in Mortal Kombat).

Lots of sites are out there. I have a lot of sources but as mentioned, some sites are not safe to post due to rules of the forums. In all seriousness, this is the only site you really need. We have users that are very well versed in the emulation scene. If not sure about something, one of us is bound to know. If don't know how to make it work, one of us could come up with a solution. We have one of the best communities out there and I spend most of my time here.

Its tough to list some sites,as most of the really good sites host roms as well as emulators

I will look through my favorites and try to find some w\o roms

Yeah immediately after I posted, I started thinking about some of the ramifications of what I was asking. There's even a couple sites I omitted for that reason.

In all seriousness, this is the only site you really need. We have users that are very well versed in the emulation scene. If not sure about something, one of us is bound to know. If don't know how to make it work, one of us could come up with a solution. We have one of the best communities out there and I spend most of my time here.

Man I couldnâ??t agree more! This community is one of the few forums I actually refer to as a community. Our members are absolutely top notch in both their knowledge and general attitudes. A lot of the BS that happens in other emulation forums simply does not happen here.

Having said that, what Iâ??m really interested in is finding an emulation based website or blog that takes an article based format. Iâ??m not entirely convinced that such a thing exists. Iâ??d like to see articles on new emulators and versions of emulators exploring functionality and new features in the programs (beyond simply reading change logs, as entertaining as that is <_< ). Iâ??d like to see reviews of new emulators and emulator versions. Iâ??d like to see interviews with various personalities in the emulation community. Itâ??s not so much that Iâ??m looking for â??How-Toâ?? type information, as I feel that sort of thing is fairly well represented (especially right here as pointed out by fRequEnCy). Iâ??d like to see definitive head to head comparisons between emulators and emulator front-ends. I'd like to see features on peoples various setups, and project builds for arcade cabinets. I dunno, maybe Iâ??m pining for something that doesnâ??t exist (although Racketboy used to do some of this). It just seems to me that other serious hobbies requiring the sort of dedication that ours does generally have some form of related publications and media which are unrelated to any one specific product. To me it just seems like our hobby is not as well represented in this area, and as enthusiastic as most of us are I find it somewhat surprising.

Of course this whole line of thought goes off the rails as soon as someone asks, â??If you want it so bad, why donâ??t you start one?.â? And well, yeah that would be great, and OH HEY LOOK A KITTEN! [Runs and hides] :ph34r:

LOL!!!

Honestly I just find a need and fill it. I don't have one place I go to and say "Hey now, that looks like a great idea! I'll do that!"

I see what you're saying though and it's a cool idea.

Were you talking about a blog, like

perhaps? A sort of what's what in the world of emu software if you will? Like "Desmume was released and it's awesome!" kind of thing?

@nullPointer; Have you ever considered doing the work yourself and creating your own blog? It's not that hard, and I think it'd be fun to get established and have a one of a kind blog. I'm sure there'd be lots of readers, like everybody here... You could try out the various emulators yourself, and post your own reviews about them. Hmmmmm.. I don't have the time or I'd do it! :)

LOL!!!

Honestly I just find a need and fill it. I don't have one place I go to and say "Hey now, that looks like a great idea! I'll do that!"

I see what you're saying though and it's a cool idea.

Were you talking about a blog, like

perhaps? A sort of what's what in the world of emu software if you will? Like "Desmume was released and it's awesome!" kind of thing?

Well played sir, well played. :lol: But um yeah, something like what you describe is what I'm looking for.

@hansolo77 - This falls under the "If you want one so bad . . ." comment I made above. I think it would be really awesome to get involved in a project like this (though personally I don't claim to have an all encompassing knowledge of the world of emulation), but like you I don't have a lot of spare time. I think something like this could work really well as a team project, but even then, most of the spare time that I do have, I'd rather spend with my two year old twins. So yeah, I guess I should really put up or shut up in this case! :D