All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Last Played Games

hansolo77

Just a curious question for Tom...

Why does the "Last Played Games" menu option display ALL games played? Theoretically (did I spell that right?), wouldn't that list take up a lot of space over the course of say, YEARS? I think it'd be safe to limit this down to maybe 20 games? The same is true for the "Most Played Games", maybe limit the list to 20 of the most, instead of ranking each and every one. My "Most Played" list has a ton of games that just say I played them once. So how can that be "most played"? Maybe only list them after they reach 5 plays, and even then, only the top 20?

Just a thought.

Mod masters will probably want to put this in the Feature Request thread, but I felt it important enough to get Tom's direct attention in case he doesn't read that thread very often. :unsure:

Honestly it only keeps about 50 games in the list I think, maybe even 30. It stores the game links in a db and doesn't really get too intrusive. The more games you play frequently will rise to the top and bump out lesser played ones.

This feature isn't process consuming so IDK if it needs tweaking (if it ain't broke don't fix it).

Tom can chime in on the exact number of games but if you look at people's last played/most played lists on GameEx Live, even the longest running members don't have abnormally long lists.

Yeah I know the GameEx Live doesn't show a lot of games, thats why I mentioned it. My Last Played list right now though goes back 111 games. As for Most Played, it's only showing 9 right now, which I guess self-corrected itself since the last time I looked. But the Last Played list definately needs adjusted.

I would say it's more than 30 or 50 cuz I have 72 listed and I don't even run GameEx. I only do for testing and that's what's in my list. I'm speaking as far as Times played as I only have like 2 favorites that I've added for testing as well. This information is located in the data.mdb file located in the DATA folder of your GameEx install.

If you have Access or OpenOffice (The free MS Office-Like suite of word processor, database manager, spreadsheet, etc.) you can edit the db yourself. Not sure why we need to add more code to the frontend to trim down the list when it is functioning as designed, is not utilizing much if any in system resources, and is apparently not a bug. Just my two cents - spend it as you desire! :P

As for Tom not reading the Feature requests thread that often, I beg to differ as many of the recent enhancements are actually derived from there and not just bug fixes from what has been reported in the General forum.