All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

EXIT PROBLEMS

dukeofarcadia

Hey guys,

I'm currently on version 12.02

My problem is with the global exit combo option thing..

Now for my keyboard or X-arcade joystick.. it works fine..

But my PS3 controller is another story, I set it up to

close out when the playstation home button is pressed

(the one in the center). And that works just fine.. but

for some reason no other buttons work to exit..

So I don't accidentally exit myself out of games I wanted

it to exit me after pressing PS3 home button three times..

and it didn't work.. pressing it once works.. 3 times doesn't work.. 2 times

doesn't work..

also what's weird is this.. if I set it to exit after three taps (of the same button)..

it will exit after just one tap.

Now for the keyboard.. the exit combos work perfect for me.. and in any length

I'm using Libusb to use the PS3 controller with the computer.

getting my gameex log info and ini ready for you guys..

but any thoughts in the meantime?

I'm relatively new to the whole Global Exit key combo thing. From what I can tell though, it just works on a key COMBO, not multiple presses of the same key. Perhaps if you map the home button and another button? Like HOME+START. I don't think you can have it work by pressing the same button over and over.

You can press the same button multiple times.. it works on the keyboard

I'm relatively new to the whole Global Exit key combo thing. From what I can tell though, it just works on a key COMBO, not multiple presses of the same key. Perhaps if you map the home button and another button? Like HOME+START. I don't think you can have it work by pressing the same button over and over.

Could I use xpadder but still allow libusb to control the ps3 controller?

Because xpadder is lacking I think the axes controls which I need

for playstation and N64.

updating to 12.03 didn't fix the problem.

still doesn't make sense why it only works with a single button..

and why setup wizard registers the buttons when I press them..

but when actually in gameex there is no response..

also why even have a seperate option for joypad global escape if you have

to use xpadder.. which just makes your controller become the keyboard.

I wonder if you might need to use a profiler with your PS3 controller (Xpadder comes to mind)?

You kinda hit the nail on the head with your response (in bold). If you are successful with a keyboard hitting the same key 3 times to make a command work, the same should work through Xpadder. Additionally (and anyone else experienced with Xpadder and other controllers, please step in and correct me if I am wrong) does provide axis support or else we would not be able to use Xbox360 wired/wireless and original Xbox controllers.

Thanks Alpha.. I'll give it a try and tell you if it worked.

did you have a similar problem?

Yes, I had a similar problem with certain themes that use a "custom scroller", although I have no idea of what a custom croller is.

Basically, after exiting a MAME game, I got stucked in the menu, 'cause my joypad stopped working. This happened only with MAME games, other emulators were not affected.

I spent a lot of time yesterday with Draco and Adultery gently assisting me, and finally Tom like a flesh released a super-quick update that solved the problem (Thanks again, Tom!).

You should definitely update and let us know what the update does for you.

EDIT: I just read that it didn't work for you. I'm stumbled here. Evidently it's a different problem than mine... Not sure what I can suggest you...

I'm not sure what you mean by 'I need axis control and Xpadder doesn't provide it' because it does. You can set any stick to normal mode, 4-way mode, and 8-way mode. I use Xpadder for everything and all my axis controls work just fine... I use it for all the emus you mentioned and no problems.

On the other side, I use Xpadder to assign a shift key (say to the home button) which provides another set of controls. If you have to do it this way and you want to press the b key 3 times to get out, Xpadder will map the b key to whatever you assign it to. This means the computer thinks it was a keyboard so it will produce the same results.

Just as a side note: The PS3 joypad driver is more of a 'hack' than anything else. This driver is not supported as a legitimate driver, so it's anyone's guess what methods it uses. I ditched using PS3 controllers in the first place because they didn't work exactly the way I wanted.

Ahh thanks Tom. I didn't know this. I typically just map a key to whatever the emu uses to exit.

Noted. :)

Thanks Tom,

Pressing different buttons at the same time worked!

so no real problem I guess..

Adultery, was there ever a time xpadder didn't support axis emulation..

I could sware awhile back I tried it and had problems.. what are some

of the benefits of using xpadder over libusb.. I can emulate rumble with libusb..

If xpadder supports that with added benefits I'd love to switch over

(I think the specific example was Jet Grind Radio.. doing the graffiti that required

different speeds and axis control didn't work.. and then I switch to libusb and it did)

I can't say for sure when it started working. As long as I've used it it always worked. Xpadder can take advantage of rumble too. Everytime I press my 'shift' key my pad rumbles. Games that support it also support rumble.

Admittedly I have a Dreamcast and haven't really used a DC emulator to the extent where I can guarantee it works for Jet Grind. I'll have to do some testing. However, Jonathan @ Xpadder is pretty awesome at finding and fixing bugs as they get reported, so I doubt this problem still exists.

Libusb is the PS3 controller driver right? Xpadder is a profiler, so you'd still be using the joypad driver so Windows can detect the joypad presses. All the functions that your driver supports should also work with Xpadder. In other words, you can use Xpadder for some emus and not for others if need be. In many cases it works better than the input system for emus (I don't use Xpadder for MAME but that's the only emu so far).

You can also easily map a mouse to one of your sticks for games that need a mouse (I play Bejeweled and 7 Wonders a lot, so this is primo IMHO).

It's really well worth the $10 for the software. Quite possibly the best $10 I ever spent! :)

Its supposed to exit with a combination of different presses at the same time not multiple seperate presses. The keyboard works the same. If it allows multiple presses its an unintentional side effect. Its an exit "combination" pressed at the same time.

Glad I wasn't giving wrong information about that. I didn't think it would let a multiple press, that just sounded odd.