All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

I was thinking today of what might be an easier way for GameEx to implement individual game/rom backgrounds and foregrounds.

Tom is it possible to have an option under each emulator config to have an option to select Custom Backgrounds = YES/NO. Then for the custom backgrounds to work you could maybe have a custom folder (Ex. Custom Background Folder = "") that we can select for each emulator and for it to display them the background images have to match the filename (ex. DIGDUG.zip would be DIGDUG.PNG/DIGDUG_FOREGROUND).

This way we could easily create and display custom backgrounds for each game. If no rom/game found then it will display the default background for that emulator.

This way you will not lose alot of the functionality of GameEx in our themes. My trick uses Box images stretched fullscreen to create individual game themes currently but loses some of the functions GameEx has to offer. Having this feature will allow individual game themes and still have all the functions of GameEx.

It seems like it would be easy to implement as well I would think, but you would know that answer. I can only hope it is ..... :D

Hi Tom,

I've checked and I don't think the following requests I am making are possible currently. Please could you consider the following requests?:

An option to remove the small gap/ or set the value of the gap between menu items. - Having spoken with Crylen I know he would like to achieve this too for his theme.

An option to remove the white outline of the popup description text box - (U-Man would also like this feature)

An option for the text to scroll on a highlighted menu item if it does not fit in the area so the whole filename/ game name can be viewed.

Thanks

This is something small but if it's simple to DIY or change I figured I'd ask anyway.
Is it possible to have two separate logos in the MAME menu for "MAME Multiplayer Games" & "4 Player Simultaneous"??
It's small thing, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

33y04ck.png

54dhyr.png

Well for that matter how about an option for icons for each emulators list. So for example the Atari 2600 games could have a icon next to their rom names on the list similar to how MAME does. If one isn't found it just doesn't display one or could have a default icon we could define.

I was thinking today of what might be an easier way for GameEx to implement individual game/rom backgrounds and foregrounds.

Tom is it possible to have an option under each emulator config to have an option to select Custom Backgrounds = YES/NO. Then for the custom backgrounds to work you could maybe have a custom folder (Ex. Custom Background Folder = "") that we can select for each emulator and for it to display them the background images have to match the filename (ex. DIGDUG.zip would be DIGDUG.PNG/DIGDUG_FOREGROUND).

This way we could easily create and display custom backgrounds for each game. If no rom/game found then it will display the default background for that emulator.

This way you will not lose alot of the functionality of GameEx in our themes. My trick uses Box images stretched fullscreen to create individual game themes currently but loses some of the functions GameEx has to offer. Having this feature will allow individual game themes and still have all the functions of GameEx.

It seems like it would be easy to implement as well I would think, but you would know that answer. I can only hope it is ..... :D

Well for that matter how about an option for icons for each emulators list. So for example the Atari 2600 games could have a icon next to their rom names on the list similar to how MAME does. If one isn't found it just doesn't display one or could have a default icon we could define.

I agree completely on both suggestions. Making it possible to easily add individual game themes and icons to each and every game and emulator would be very cool :) .............and maybe not to hard to implement ? I really hope Tom can look in to this ....on short notice ;) LOL

• 2 weeks later...

GameEx needs a HyperPause feature similar to how the one over at Hyperspin works. If you guys haven't see this in action or how it works you need to check it out. Look on youtube for HyperPause videos and see it in action. Wow! is all I can say this is a must have feature. Hope Tom can add something similar to this is the next BIG upgrade.

GameEx needs a HyperPause feature similar to how the one over at Hyperspin works. If you guys haven't see this in action or how it works you need to check it out. Look on youtube for HyperPause videos and see it in action. Wow! is all I can say this is a must have feature. Hope Tom can add something similar to this is the next BIG upgrade.

How is this very different from the in game feature that has been in GameEx for years?

PS: Just saying I am happy to improve in game support for an upcoming release and have been meaning to improve it but I don't see how its a new feature. If it is please just explain if not please tell me what you would like to see enhanced for the in game feature. I never really got much feedback at all on it to be honest which is why it has not moved forward. Maybe I should have called it Hyper In game. lol ;)

watch this and see what it can do. Maybe you can see some useful features that you could take from that and put your own spin on it like your doing with PinballX.

Now is there something in GameEx that can do something like that that I've missed over the years?

Now is there something in GameEx that can do something like that that I've missed over the years?

Yes, as I said - In Game mode, you can view all that stuff. It just lacks disc switching and states and I agree its not so pretty but as you know that is changing.

So if you want to encourage improvements talk about that instead of making out its a new invention.

Sorry Tom if you think I was trying to act like that was some new thing that was never done before. The point I was trying to get across was maybe for future versions of GameEx just improve upon what you already had done or possibly add a few new feature like the save state and disc switching which hasn 't been done yet. Like you say it's not the flashiest it gets the job done but maybe for a future version take it a step further which you probably are but I don't know that. I don't see what you guys are doing for the next big update so that is why I just mention it. I know you guys are working on improving it which I for one appreciate all the hard work you guys are doing and I thank you. I'll go back to theme'ing now .... :P

Here's a feature request that I hope are legit and haven't been asked before. :P

1) The ability to change the colors of the selector bar on an emulator basis. So each emulator could have it's own color for the selector bar.

You KRAK me up! Yes, pun intended. I just have to ask - how many more times are you going to request this?

Sorry if this has been requested before, but I was wondering why GameEX doesn't have an option for displaying system startup videos from within the emulator configuration? I know in order to display system intro videos, we have to place them in the themes logos folder and replace all the .png images within that folder, naming them exactly like the images originally there. I wanted to request this option be added to the emulator setup... simply select the path of your system intro video like all other artwork/media. This would allow us to keep our themes intact and not have to "swap" images for videos.

Also, I'd love it if GameEX could display cover art when browsing ebooks, like it does with music, movies and games.

Hi Tom,

it would be nice, if we could rename the "setupwizard". currently it is not possible to drag a shortcut of it to the taskbar, as it is forbidden by the OS to use a shortcut with such a name. if you rename it to lets say "GameExWizard" you can drag that shortcut to the taskbar without problems.

if you setup new emulators, you will basically start the setup-wizard very often and then it would be nice to have it in the taskbar.

if this is easy to make then please do it (why bothering the OS with critical names ;) ) or give that info at least. ;).

thanks in advance, u-man

Can't you simply rename the executable "GameEx Wizard" and drag it to the taskbar or pin it to the Start Menu? I already know the answer, but want you to try it for yourself.

Also, you can perform a search on how to create custom jump lists for Win 7, thus accessible from the Task Bar.

Off course it will work, but you need to be aware of that ;). Thats exactly what i wrote before.

Why using a name that the system dont likes?

Why a user should be in trouble to rename the SetupWizard?

Would it not be nicer, to have the installer to do this job?

In fact, i never had a App that needed such a task, thus didnt know first, how to make a shortcut for the taskbar.

The way it's tired in to several features, this is probably not going to happen. Just my 2c.. As a future IT, I can't imagine the need to rename or change anything like that when I could just use a shortcut and name that whatever I want. What a nightmare if we allowed such permissions in a server environment. :huh:

The way it's tired in to several features, this is probably not going to happen. Just my 2c..

ok, that is something, i didnt know. still there is the opportunity to create a quicklaunch-shortcut via installer, where the name is legal to OS. it is not like that, that everyone knows that you cannot put that name in a taskbar.

As a future IT, I can't imagine the need to rename or change anything like that when I could just use a shortcut and name that whatever I want. What a nightmare if we allowed such permissions in a server environment. :huh:

it is just my state as a user... and this is not user-friendly. maybe i am naive to think, that this is easy to be done. i apologize then.

you are a ongoing IT, but most of the people are normal users and dont know everything like you and Draco. Myself didnt know this, till yesterday.

i thought this is the feature and enhancement thread. for me this would be a enhancement ;).

I'd like to request a enhancement for the "Change View" setting. Since there are so many different views now, and some of them are similar, could we add some type of textual display of what View is currently selected? Either a name, or even simply a number. Maybe have the name/number could be displayed for 5 seconds after "Change View" is selected? This would also help theme designers design for specific views, and be able to indicate to the users which views are applicable to their theme.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment, random videos play on my home screen (when MAME highlighted) and also random videos for each of the emulators when hover select over them. Is there any way to have text underneath displaying the name of the game (and possibly system for when for e.g. hover over game in favourites)?

Am I gonna get done for essentially bumping this request? Getting dangerously close to slapping my hardware into my cab, and out of everything when using my frontend - the thing I'm dying for the most is this!! After loads of toil - got loads of videos playing on many different systems - but left exasperated when random videos play and I think "ooooo - what's that game?" Just a line of text under the random vid would make everything right with the world :)

Shall I go to the headmasters office now?? :/