All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Which Romset do you run under GameEX

starbuck

Under the rom section of each of my system I Have the following setup:

I:/Roms

/ Atari 5200/roms

No-Intro

Goodroms

TOSEC

Unclassified

I then point GameEx and the Emumovies download service to the Atari 5200/roms directory

This then gives me alot of videos,roms,snaps etc. of duplicate games with slightly different names. And even with merging alot of duplication.

How do others set your system up avoid the duplication that take up HD space and slows the frontend down. I want to get away from the duplication of roms, videos etc. but I also don't want to leave a rom out that is maybe in one set and not another.

You need to decide which set would be best for you..

Goodroms, or GoodName roms, are Roms that are known to work with the emulators and consoles. They typically include 1 rom from each region (NTSC/USA, PAL/Europe, NTSC/Japan). These are then "GoodMerged" so that you have 1 Rom zip, which when extracted shows the different regions available. I started with this originally, but soon learned it was a waste of space having multiple copies of the same rom, just from different regions; especially when I usually only play the USA ones to begin with.

NoIntro roms are what I think most people use. These roms are organized in a slightly different way than Goodroms. Generally, they're not merged, so you can do better file system management by getting rid of duplicates from other regions you don't want. This is the one I use, as stated above; you can easierly get rid of the duplicate roms from other regions you don't want.

TOSEC is just a flat out collection of every rom dump you can find. Be it working or not. They can include bad dumps and homebrews that people wrote themselves. They also contain other things not related to games, such as application software (especially in computer romsets). Get these only as a last resort, unless you're a purist and want to have EVERYTHING.

Once you've decided on a set to get, do your pruning before getting the extra artwork and videos. The best way to make sure you have ALL the roms is with TOSEC, but you'll also have a bunch of stuff you don't want. GoodRoms will give you a lot of duplication between regions. NoIntro is just the best all around.

Unfortunally I tend to be a purist and want everything. I tend to use no-intro sets. The problem I run into is there a lot of systems that No-intro doesn't support and then I use TOSEC. TOSEC as you said have a lot in their set that are bad etc. that I don't what. But what In have found is there is a lot of roms in the other sets that are really good but No-Intro doesn't have. I also tend to have homebrews, prototypes that are really good and aren't in any of the sets. There a number of games from members here that don't show up in any set and are excellent.

I think that i'll continue to have my sets as above for audit purposes. But, create a set called "Myset" and put in the best from all of them and point Gameex and Emumovies to that romset. I was hoping for a way to avoid all the copying and pruning as I'm sure like everyone else here, I already tend to spent more time cleaning up my sets then actually playing.

I use all for collection purposes but only use one set per setup. I don't mix them at all. As far as videos and pics, I haven't done much to that part of my system yet except for the basics. I usually go with No-Intro > Good > No-Intro > Misc. Just depends what I'm emulating.

What is it that you're trying to accomplish? Are you trying to prune out duplicates from different sets? You could probably whip something up that would do that or something like a rom manager can help with it but it's still a lot of work to do so.

I use a hybrid of No-Intro (HyperList) Which is an English set with all duplicates removed. Generally USA and EU

I would be interested in learning more about HyperList. Is the application HyperSpin-specific or can it be used with GameEx or other frontends?

I would be interested in learning more about HyperList. Is the application HyperSpin-specific or can it be used with GameEx or other frontends?

Well it's just a modified set from what I remember. We can build our own sets based on filters in Dat-o-Matic or even using rom management tools to filter out what exactly we want.

I too want them all for collecting purposes. But, as Frequency stated I want a list of all the available games without duplicates. I've toyed with the Hyperlist and it gives me a pretty good list but it still leaves out a lot of games that are not duplicates. I've also played with Dato-matic and because it's only No intro it requires a lot of editing to add the other games. Due to the naming different naming conventions of the different sets, it can become a nighmare trying to get a complete set from all of the them and have no duplicates.

I too want them all for collecting purposes. But, as Frequency stated I want a list of all the available games without duplicates. I've toyed with the Hyperlist and it gives me a pretty good list but it still leaves out a lot of games that are not duplicates. I've also played with Dato-matic and because it's only No intro it requires a lot of editing to add the other games. Due to the naming different naming conventions of the different sets, it can become a nighmare trying to get a complete set from all of the them and have no duplicates.

In this case then I would start with a goodset or tosec set and then filter those out since those are complete sets with hacked versions, bad dumps, etc.

Hyperlist is basically no-intro with japan and duplicates pulled.it makes for a clean looking list

Oh I use no-intro\hyperlist and goodsets.TOSEC is just to much BS to pick through

Hyperlist is basically no-intro with japan and duplicates pulled.it makes for a clean looking list

Oh I use no-intro\hyperlist and goodsets.TOSEC is just to much BS to pick through

What set do you use when no-Intro doesn't exist?