All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Download Service Utility

hansolo77

Ok, I just ran a download of the Channel F Boxes. For testing purposes, I left the download path as the default to see what kind of output it would make. I discovered that it had created a sub folder called "Fairchild_Channel_F", and then another one in there called "Box". When reading up about this program, apparently it can scan your already downloaded packs, and match with the server to see if there are any new updates. My questions are:

1) How does it match already downloaded packs? Do you have to have the artwork stored in a central location rather than your own path?

2) Is there any way to have the output path not create a subfolder for the Console?

Basically, I have a separate drive (M:\) where I have all my game stuff. My consoles are located in M:\_CONSOLES. From there, I have a subfolder for each console; ie: M:\_CONSOLES\Fairchild Channel F. I would like to be able to just point the program to the ROM path (M:\_CONSOLES\Fairchild Channel F\ROMS) and then to the root path for the individual art packs. So that way it would make the folders M:\_CONSOLES\Fairchild Channel F\Box and M:\_CONSOLES\Fairchild Channel F\Snaps. Is this possible? If not, then if I download everything to a default download path and then move the files out and put them in their places I want them, then would the program still be able to recognize if there is an updated art?

I hope this was clear enough.

Currently it's suggested that you use the existing structure for the most convienient upgrading, otherwise you would have to move them back and forth. I believe the reason given was that with over 70 systems supported we would have to add massive amounts of settings pages to support them all. It would just make the program unwieldy.

Ok, so I'll just have to make a new global download folder, like "M:\_ARTWORK" and just keep everything local there. That's cool. I don't mind, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything blindly obvious. I tend to do that. :)

Another option that is available for paid memberships is the FTP download. Since I use a "non-standard" setup for my ROMs and Snaps locations, I find this to be a better alternative for me. Occasionally have to use Skinny Match but small price to pay for the flexibility to download directly to where I need for these to go.

I just loaded up the program this morning, and it popped up a dialog saying there were updates to some of my sets. I said ok to view them, and it changed my system dropdown to just showing "Atari 2600". The media drop down then lists 4 items. Does this mean that all 4 of those are new/updated? Will downloading them then update my sets? Sorry I'm a complete nube.

ALSO... it is listing an updated set for "Box_3D" which I had downloaded once, but then decided to not use. Is there anyway to remove this from a saved list somewhere that says I want to know when it's updated?

I just loaded up the program this morning, and it popped up a dialog saying there were updates to some of my sets. I said ok to view them, and it changed my system dropdown to just showing "Atari 2600". The media drop down then lists 4 items. Does this mean that all 4 of those are new/updated? Will downloading them then update my sets? Sorry I'm a complete nube.

ALSO... it is listing an updated set for "Box_3D" which I had downloaded once, but then decided to not use. Is there anyway to remove this from a saved list somewhere that says I want to know when it's updated?

The 4 items have new updates and downloading them will update the sets. I don't know of a way to remove a single item. You can uncheck the box that says check for updates and it won't show you any updates. Unless space is a problem I'd get the 3d boxess and add a path for them in GameEx. They look cool and someone in the community went to alot of work to make them. Be a shame not to use them on your system.

I do notice 1 other very annoying problem with this program... When downloading for Sega CD games, it first downloads the 1 file, then makes copies of every one of them to fill in for all the .cue/.iso/.mp3 (or .wav) files associated with it. I have GameEx set to filter ROMs to *.iso, so it only lists 1 game each, but the downloader makes copies for all the files. Can this be solved (with a future update) without having to manually go in and erase all the extras by hand?