All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Themes?

Krakerman

I've been looking over using a new theme and I like the new Bluebox theme mod v2 and it seems to me that many of these themes are just lacking alot of emulators. What I think most theme makers need to do is provide the necessary files, fonts and instructions on how to do it so that those of us that have alot of emulators on our systems could make additional background art for the themes. It sure would save them time taking request and each user then could post them with the authors permission so we could all enjoy it much better. I think it would make the themes that much better.

Any other thoughts on that?

I have several thoughts (imagine that). Most themes are initially created for the user's own system. Others are created just because the person enjoys doing so. While it would be nice to anticipate the needs or desires of every user, you have to keep in mind the investment in personal time the creator puts into the theme. Some of us have the time, energy, and skills to whip up theme ideas (I usually have 5 or 6 ideas swimming about at any given time and 1 or 2 end up available for download).

I know that as I have progressed I have attempted to make it possible for the end-user to create additional foregrounds/backgrounds as possible. No matter how much we throw at our creations, there is always going to be someone that wants this or that, or would like something like it, but a little different. So whether we spend the time up front, or in the end, it is time that is valuable to us as creators. That is just the nature of doing stuff for the public.

All of that being said, I also believe that the end-user has a certain amount of responsibility to learn to use the tools that are available to create some stuff on their own. There is a noticeable disparity between the number of users of GameEx and the number of users contributing themes. Last count, there were 33 members responsible for 67 themes. Imagine how many themes there would be if everyone contributed just 1 theme? There is no lack of encouragement and resources here in the forums if anyone needs help.

@Draco Well in your case you are the one exception to providing the tools and helping others make your themes have much more longevity. Don't get me wrong we all appreciate the hard work that the theme makers are doing for the community, but I feel as a end user that if I was to make a theme and then distribute it to the community to use it for themselves I for one would provide the necessary files for those to expand that theme since there are so many emulators out there and the theme could be even better with additional backgrounds added to it. In turn that would be less work for the theme maker to do and the community to support such themes buy contributing back to them in a sense helping the themes become that much better.

Anyways .... keep up the good work as your themes are getting better and better Draco. The Space Invaders theme is pretty kool. And your icons are thee best around no doubt about it!!

I have so many ideas and if I had more time I would start messing bout with making a theme. Currently I've been making my own Boxee Box with a spare computer and setting up a workstation in my kitchen as I'm trying to get the kitchen computerized per say. All hooked up to the internet with a custom interface.

So much to do so little time my friend. :)

btw I'm not suprised you had thoughts on the matter my friend. I figured you'd be the first ;):D and I'm sure many others will follow too.:P

I have so many ideas and if I had more time I would start messing bout with making a theme. Currently I've been making my own Boxee Box with a spare computer and setting up a workstation in my kitchen as I'm trying to get the kitchen computerized per say. All hooked up to the internet with a custom interface.

It doesn't mean you can't make one. A few hours here and there. It can be a continuous project as you are able to carve out an hour or two here and there! I have literally gathered GBs of images for use on current themes or future use (guess that makes me a hoarder). Believe it or not, that is where I draw inspiration, thinking about "I have this or that - how can I make them work together and within GameEx.."

Boxee.zip

/side note:

I put all the PSD files you need to create new emu backgrounds in the BlueBox Mod theme zip, in case you hadn't found them already.

I always include PSDs so end users can do their own thing. ;)

/side note:

I put all the PSD files you need to create new emu backgrounds in the BlueBox Mod theme zip, in case you hadn't found them already.

I always include PSDs so end users can do their own thing. ;)

Even though we both include the PSD files, it really isn't fair to expect that every need is going to be anticipated and satisfied, nor is it fair to expect not to have to put a little effort into fine tuning things. Krake has a good point in that we should provide as much as is possible for the end user to be able to flexibly (is that even a word?) create additional foreground/backgrounds as needed. I have far greater concerns so far as trying to motivate or challenge others to pick up the tools and create something they can share with others. With the number of years that GameEx has been around and as many users as we have active over that period of time, I think it is a crying shame that only 33 people picked up their virtual paint brushes to create & share 67 themes. As a community, we are much better than that!

I have a theme just about finished. It's very basic, not as far complex as Mr. Draco's themes but still clean and simple. I'll add it as soon as its complete.

Mine are not all that extravagant. Sometimes Less is More in my opinion. I look forward to seeing it!