All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

A few network questions.

Kustom Kid

Ok, so I'm in the process of wiring my house and I've come across a few things. I've Googled these questions, but I respect, and want, your opinions as well.

First, I'm using gigabit switches and wondered if there really was a major performance difference between cat5e and cat6. I have enough cat5e to do the job, but cat6 would cost me at least another $60 for the cable and other items. Since I can do the entire job for $40 using cat5e would there be a huge benefit to upgrading and dropping 120% more than I had planned?

Second, I plan on using a 12 port patch panel just to make everything more organized. Can I run two 8-port switches into the patch panel? I plan on setting it up like this. Ports 1-5 on the first switch going to the patch panel, port 6 going to cable modem, port 7 going to wireless router, and port 8 going to 2nd switch. Ports 1-7 on the second switch going to the patch panel, and port 8 going to the 1st switch.

I know using 2 switches wastes ports, but it's cheaper than getting a 16 port gigabit switch as I already have the items. In the future I do plan on upgrading, but I'm trying to do it as right as possible while keeping it on the cheap. Thanks.

Well...

I use an 8 port and a 5 port switch on my network and haven't noticed any problems with speed whatsoever. I also opted for cat 5e because it was cheaper by the roll (I cut and cap my own wires and also wired ports in with each phone jack in each room). The reason I chained 2 switches was the same reason you plan to: I already had the switches and the combo was cheaper than 1 16 port.

I also have a wireless hot spot in the basement that covers all of my 1 story house. My network is really working perfectly, so I don't think it's needed to throw money around just for the sake of throwing money around.

Hope that answers the question.

Cat5e is sufficient, it is certainly OK for the job and more resistant to crosstalk than standard Cat5. Cat6, as you probably surmised through your web searches, is 100% certified for Gigabit and less likely to encounter crosstalk and other RF interference from sources such as power lines, etc. As long as all else is gigabit (routers, switches, NICs) then you should be fine.

When stringing your network, try to resist the temptation to follow paths of your power lines and, whenever possible, if you have to cross a power line, do so perpendicular to the direction the power line is running to minimize any RF interference from it. This is what is done when wiring remote speakers for home theater systems and is recommended for PC networks as well.