All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

house finally netted !

simbamame

Well after a day of fiddling with cables and networks finally got the whole house netted and talking to each other ( sort of ) Upstairs We have a PS3 online, XBOX360 online that can access my HTPC ( so the kids can watch Simpsons, south park, family guy, kids films etc... ), a laptop that's online running u-tube and MSN and can access my HTPC, and my bedroom media center ( a basic win 7 with XBMC running ), so i can watch all my downloaded American TV series and films in comfort. Downstairs the Cab ( yay ) online and accessing my HTPC, and another XBOX360, My HTPC can access almost all the others if needed, the hardest part was setting all the permissions was making sure the kids couldn't access my stuff, don't really wont 12 n 13 year olds watching hardcore horrors. ( <<- note i DID say horrors ! ) its all wireless except the 360 downstairs ( as its an older model with no wireless so use it wired ) and the HTPC that's hard wired to the super hub coming in at a descent speed

Date Download Speed Upload Speed

Today 23:56 31446 kbps (3.93MB/s) 3162 kbps (395kB/s)

that's with every thing running so I'm happy, so don't be surprised if you see my gamer tag saying Ive been playing pacman for 20 hours !.

It's pretty easy to 'wire' your house by using the outlets. Nowadays you can use your electrical grid as an ethernet network. I was thinking about this before I snaked in the cat-5e cable to my hub downstairs. Still kinda regret having not decided to do this. The transfer speeds are great!

That's of course if you ever decide to wire your network. Huge benefit if you ask me. ;)

Transfer speeds are much improved with "Internet over powerline," however, you do encounter some speed degradation the further removed you are from the base outlet (going to the router). Again, just need to consider what the end PC will be used for. If the PC is primarily used for web surfing, checking email, occasional vid streaming, then the lower data speeds are OK. If you are using for HTPC, streaming audio/video, then wired is great, esp if everything is gigabit.

I am currently using IoP with my Xbox 360 and it works fabulously. Will probably by some more modules in the future for the web-connected devices such as the BD player and widescreen in the living room in combination with a small switch to share the same connection.

I'm in the process of getting everything together to wire my house. I only need to run cat6 to 5 rooms along with RG6. I have it laid out so everything comes into my house at one spot and is distributed from that location. I just need to get a few more components and to have a day where my day off and my brother's day off of work coincide. We're also going the HTPC route. It's so much easier now that it was even 5 years ago. Glad to read about your success, simb.

adultery, don't regret running the wire. It's a lot cleaner to have it in wall than having wall warts, and it's infinitely better than the old duct tape and throw rug technique.

I'm in the process of getting everything together to wire my house. I only need to run cat6 to 5 rooms along with RG6. I have it laid out so everything comes into my house at one spot and is distributed from that location. I just need to get a few more components and to have a day where my day off and my brother's day off of work coincide. We're also going the HTPC route. It's so much easier now that it was even 5 years ago. Glad to read about your success, simb.

adultery, don't regret running the wire. It's a lot cleaner to have it in wall than having wall warts, and it's infinitely better than the old duct tape and throw rug technique. <<<--- Tell me about it it used to be a nightmare with Ethernet cables n extension cords etc with a rug thrown over them, it was like a scramble course for the hoover lol !...

It's pretty easy to 'wire' your house by using the outlets. Nowadays you can use your electrical grid as an ethernet network. I was thinking about this before I snaked in the cat-5e cable to my hub downstairs. Still kinda regret having not decided to do this. The transfer speeds are great!

That's of course if you ever decide to wire your network. Huge benefit if you ask me. ;)

I did look into this but as i had most of things already to hand and my internet connection is 30 meg incoming so for me it was just cheaper, but i can imagine its is a nice clean way using the electrical outlets.