All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Working on new MAME logos...

Adultery

Hey everyone...

I had an idea a while back, and I decided today to take it to the next step, especially since my theme is completed. The question is this:

If I complete this set of MAME logos, would you use them on your rig? I'm gonna crunch them down a bit I think (currently they're in NTSC aspect, or 720x480 for you folks outside of the US) and play with the videos I use in the background, maybe even change up the foreground, but overall I'm pretty happy with the way these look. What do YOU think? ;)

PS: Thanks to Circo @ EmuMovies, there's no shortage of Hi-Quality AVIs to choose from. My plan is to make one for each of GameEx's native categories. After I finish the style, I can whip these out pretty quick, and then I plan to run them through Tom's new conversion software. Then a release shall be forthcoming.

I'm planning on applying some of these techniques to a new theme, so these will be more about practice than anything else. That doesn't mean I won't finish the set mind you, just that these aren't a huge undertaking for me and will be done fairly quickly.

Any and all criticism is welcome (although I may scoff at some of your suggestions! Hahaha! J/K!)

I think the example you provided looks awesome! Will the videos just play once or loop in the final product?

From a user perspective, my only concern is the amount of system resources it takes to run the vids as logos. It should not be much of an issue for modern systems but the older ones might be a little slow. But that is what disclaimers are for, correct? B)

I can definitely see using them with one of my theme projects - would love to give you some competition on creating them but not sure I would know where to start or afford the software at this point!:P

My system can handle them just fine, but mine's more modern so I'll have to ask the community how their experiences rate with mone as far as performance goes. GameEx loops the videos on its own so I don't need to do anything on that front, and they look pretty dope on my machine. If you decide you want to add some elements like this to your projects, as always I'm here for ya Drac. I like to help out where I can.

I am going to complete this set and then make another set with a cabinet shot where the screen shows the video and the marquee shows the list item (maws, horizontal, vertical, etc) to give the community some variety. Soon as I polish up these I'll get started on those, then I want to get started on a theme that uses videos for background pages employing some of these techniques. I suppose these will be more for HTPCs since cabs are typically lower end computers. Either way I think people will like them. ;)

Thanks for the props Drac, and yes the software can be a bear to buy. Fortunately for me I can get top tier software for low prices through my university bookstore and pay for it with my student loan money.