All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Loading of Settings and Databases

starbuck

When ever I start up GameEx I have to wait while it loads various settings and Databases for systems that I'm not going to be playing. Since we are picking a system from a list, why not only load the settings and database for the selected system at the time I select it. Seems like this would reduce the cpu time and memory useage. I known it only loads up a handfull of the settings and databases, but why load setings and databases for these others systems that I'm not going to play. When we escape from that system and go back to the list GameEx could remove that database and setting from memory.

Starbuck - that sounds like a good idea! Would you mind posting this in the Feature Requests and Enhancements thread so that it will get the appropriate level of attention! ;)

The reason it does this is because if you have more than 1 emulator, GameEx searches your databases for matching titles. For instance, you could have a game in MAME (like Mario Brothers), and it can also exist on the Nintendo NES, GameBoy, etc. So the loading of databases happens so you can find the game on the other systems as well.

On the other hand, I agree that the extra loading can be a bit bothersome, especially in my case where I have over 50 systems. I wonder if we can maybe break up the databases, so it only loads the information about the ROM (like, the description stuff) when you access that system, and then the matching database be a separate one. Only access the "matching" database when loading GameEx, and then the individual "information" database when you access that system...

/my 2c:

What's it take, like 10 seconds? On the other hand it's rare that I shut GameEx off so I guess it doesn't bother me.

Well, once's it's loaded it once, it doesn't load it again until after you restart GameEx. It seems like it loads up the MAME database first, then when you access any ROM, it starts to load the other emulator databases looking for matches.

Unfortunately, I turn mine off every day. With 200 plus emulators it takes awhile to load. At my age every second counts ;) My problems is when I'm adding emulators or tweating. (always tweaking), Everytime I get out of GameEx and make my changes, I restart GameEx and have to wait each time.

How do I move this Draco to the other section.