All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Alpha Paging in Simple Mode

chriss

Hey guys,

I'm setting up a new Gameex box and experienced some weird behaviour:

I've set "Interface Navigation" to "Simple" because People are often confused when they push too long left and right and are not in the games list anymore..

Simple mode is perfect! Except that when it's turned on alpha paging isn't working anymore. Alpha Paging becomes a second "Back"-Button. I can still hop from letter to letter by pushing up/down first and then after that the alpha page button...

It seems like a bug to me but maybe it's intended.. could anyone spare a minute and try to reproduce this problem?

Cheers,

chriss

thanks for the quick reply, tom!

any chance of having alpha paging in simple mode in future releases?

for people who find alpha paging too confusing they could switch it off in the keyboard input settings anyways...

but i guess if it's inteded you'll have your reasons :)

Hey Tom,

here are my 2 cents on an easy and non confusing solution:

I use the X-Arcade and people often try out both joysticks to navigate, so I used customcontrols.ini and made both sticks do the up/down movement. For the 1st Player to go PageUp/PageDown you gotta just push left/right.

Now it would be really awesome if for the second Player the left/right keys could be bound to moving to a new letter! As I understand it right now, moving to a new letter can only be done by pushing down the alpha paging key and go left/right or is there another way without a key combo? This is what I've found most people get confused with... Even though a lot of my friend rock at SF2 they just can't figure out alpha paging :)

I noticed the increasing speed and it's very nice! But still for huge lists like c64 it takes too long to go to the letter F for example...

Update: I must say after a weekend of using the arcade a lot with friends the incresing speed is really useful! I don't need the letter flipping anymore. It takes a while to go from a to s but everybody figured it out. It's a simple and clean approach!