All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

GameEx -vs- Spybot S&D

Adultery

Well, I've been on kind of a hiatus from GameEx for awhile now, due to some pretty serious issues with GameEx and my cab. I tried so many things, including replacing my video card, new RAM, upgraded my mobo/processor... Nothing worked for me. I even deleted my 5+ year GameEx setup and started completely from scratch (even did a full format on the EHD I used), and I kept having the same problem. For some reason, GameEx would run for about 10-20 minutes and my computer monitor would shut off. It was frustrating to say the least!

Well, today I got sick of looking at my poor old cab wasting away and meanwhile I'm missing out on all these great new features. I decided I was going to try eliminating software, one piece at a time. I had a moment of clarity, and I was thinking of what changed (besides the move to D3D) when the problem started occurring. For some odd reason, I decided to try deleting Spybot S&D on a whim. As soon as I did... GameEx works again! Coincidence? I highly doubt it!!!

I was just wondering if any of you use Spybot on your cabs, and if you have had similar problems? I also maybe want to warn others of a possibly bigger problem involving that sh*tty piece of nightmare software on their rigs. I know, I should have never turned my back on Malwarebytes.

Anyone confirm or deny this or is it just a strange coincidence?

While I have never had gameex issues with spybot but I did have issues with spybot and pc games as in when I had spybot installed pc games would crash,freeze,and sometimes shut off the monitor.I think it had something to do with its real time protection,lucky for me I hadnt installed any other new software around that time so i was able to pinpoint SB as the culprit early.

on a side not,about 6 months ago I switched to windows defender and I have to say it is doing a fine job,that with avast free antivirus,(I switched from a paid version of mcafee after it flagged SVCHOST.exe and quarentined it) and comodo firewall and I have been virus/malware free

I don't use any anti-virus/anti-spyware or anything in my setup.

The main reason is, my setup when acess internet it acess only a few websites that I consider "secure"

So there's no Facebook , Google , MSN navigation.

If it goes to the internet is to talk to GameEx site for an update check or the XBMC stuff.

And If i need to install something , it's is first verified on my main computer.

So I dont see the point of having this kind of software installed.

As it consumes more resources of your machine.

And I believe in what you said.

I've already have a lot of problems with gaming and Spyboot.