All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Multiple MAME versions

deano7

I just created a rotary joystick MAME computer and I want to have a different (older) version of MAME run the games that are rotary based (Ikari Warriors, Guerilla War, etc). Can Gammex handle this sort of a setup?

I just created a rotary joystick MAME computer and I want to have a different (older) version of MAME run the games that are rotary based (Ikari Warriors, Guerilla War, etc). Can Gammex handle this sort of a setup?

Yes it sure can using the MAME EMU Mapping tool by Tempest. This tool is now included with GameEx. Info on it can be found here.

I know this is already answered, but I wanted to point out that this will work VERY well with the mameemumap.ini. I have a pair of rotaries for my cab and have analog++ setup for those games. The integration is SEAMLESS and very pleasing.

I used the EmuMapper - pretty cool. I think I have it setup correctly, but it doesn't show up anywhere and Ikari Warriors still runs with the default Mame version when I select it through Gameex.

I went into the emumapper and I told it to run 'Ikari' through the emulator "Rotary Mame". I made add to list "True" and I had it change the name to "Rotary Ikari". Nowhere do I ever see "Rotary Ikari" in gameex. Any ideas?

That did the trick tempest, thanks! Now that it works, I have another question and since you are an expert here, I figured I would give it a shot. I am using version .63 for rotary games and it works really well for rotary games. The question is that the picture is very small compared to my Mame version 118. Any idea why that would be? I have a good 2 inches at the bottom and top of the screen that is not being used compared to the newer Mame. I know this isn't Gameex's fault, but any idea? Thanks! the Emu mapper is awesome!

That did the trick tempest, thanks! Now that it works, I have another question and since you are an expert here, I figured I would give it a shot. I am using version .63 for rotary games and it works really well for rotary games. The question is that the picture is very small compared to my Mame version 118. Any idea why that would be? I have a good 2 inches at the bottom and top of the screen that is not being used compared to the newer Mame. I know this isn't Gameex's fault, but any idea? Thanks! the Emu mapper is awesome!

In your version of MAME .63 do you have the enforce aspect ratio unchecked?

AFAIK we are all ex-spurts. :P

I would compare the mame.ini file from each version, or you might get away with copying the file from the 118 version into the 63 version. Make backups first!

I think that there is a command -noswitchres, which could work as well.

The problem is that v63 may or may not have the same options as 118.

Just random thoughts...

I have both versions of Mame in the same directory, is that not a good idea? I only see one mame.ini file. Maybe that is a problem?

Thanks for the ideas Tempest and for the great emumapper. Really great stuff. Thanks for the encouragement Bkenobi, it is nice to know I am on the right track. I'll let you guys know what I find.

I searched my computer and there is only 1 mame.ini on the whole thing. It would appear that both of my mame versions are sharing the same INI. How does mame know where to look for an .ini file? Does it just look for a "ini" folder in the same directory as the mame.exe? Thanks!