All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New to GameEx

Sponyx

I am really happy to have come across such a great front-end and have gladly donated to the cause. For the most part things have been pretty straightforward and I now have most of my emulators/games running smoothly. The one problem that I am having has to do with some of the more recent systems (disc based) that I own and trying to get them working in GameEx like the Playstation. I have each game I created an image for in it's own subdirectory however GameEx doesn't appear to see any of the games. It does however pick up any .iso files if I have them in the root directory that I set for the ROM path. My question is really this, is there a way to get GameEx to look into the subdirectories? The reason I'm really confused is I've searched the forums and didn't notice a definitive answer. The ROMs in folder option gets tossed around alot here on the forums and is even on this web site's documentation section but when I run the setup now with most recent version of GameEx that option isn't even shown and in it's place is the game manual folder settings I believe. I'm hoping someone can reply and let me know definitively if this is not possible and what is really the story with the Roms in folder option? Some of the solutions I did notice on the forums may be the use of hard links and the other was using a map file but wasn't sure how to do that for the subdirectories. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I am really happy to have come across such a great front-end and have gladly donated to the cause. For the most part things have been pretty straightforward and I now have most of my emulators/games running smoothly. The one problem that I am having has to do with some of the more recent systems (disc based) that I own and trying to get them working in GameEx like the Playstation. I have each game I created an image for in it's own subdirectory however GameEx doesn't appear to see any of the games. It does however pick up any .iso files if I have them in the root directory that I set for the ROM path. My question is really this, is there a way to get GameEx to look into the subdirectories? The reason I'm really confused is I've searched the forums and didn't notice a definitive answer. The ROMs in folder option gets tossed around alot here on the forums and is even on this web site's documentation section but when I run the setup now with most recent version of GameEx that option isn't even shown and in it's place is the game manual folder settings I believe. I'm hoping someone can reply and let me know definitively if this is not possible and what is really the story with the Roms in folder option? Some of the solutions I did notice on the forums may be the use of hard links and the other was using a map file but wasn't sure how to do that for the subdirectories. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Roms in folder is not supported in gameex it was removed

don't know if we will see it back in gameex and fully working

Welcome to the forums Sponyx! What you read was correct. There are different ways to be creative about sub-directory support since it's not supported in GameEx. Seems you've already came across two ways about it. One is to use hard links (thanks to bkenobi for this tip). The other is to create a wrapper that can handle games being in different folders. How that works is that the wrapper searches the directories until it finds the game and then grabs the name and location and puts in the command-line to run. If you're not familiar with scripting then the easiest way to go is the first one. Also another way is to be creative with the command-line. I do this with my emulators that use images. I name my folder after the image name so you would have something like this:

C:\Games\"Name of your game"\"Name of your game.iso"

Where "Name of your game", is just that. It's the name of your game. So if you use that method of splitting up your images then you can just use this command-line parameter in GameEx!

"[ROMPATH]\[ROM]\[ROMFILE]"

The last two suggestions you would need a map file to grab the names needed to run them. Map files are used by GameEx to use what's left of the "|" delimiter and displays what's right of it.

game.zip|What you want displayed in GameEx

Hope some of that information helped. The task you're after isn't a simple one so good luck with your attempt. ;)

Roms in folder is not supported in gameex it was removed

don't know if we will see it back in gameex and fully working

Any particular reason it was removed? Being that I've read that it has been asked about multiple times on the forums I assume it already is a feature request that is on the list to be looked at? Is that the case since it was an option? Even with this one limitation I really do love this front end after spending a day or so setting things up. Great job.

Welcome to the forums Sponyx! What you read was correct. There are different ways to be creative about sub-directory support since it's not supported in GameEx. Seems you've already came across two ways about it. One is to use hard links (thanks to bkenobi for this tip). The other is to create a wrapper that can handle games being in different folders. How that works is that the wrapper searches the directories until it finds the game and then grabs the name and location and puts in the command-line to run. If you're not familiar with scripting then the easiest way to go is the first one. Also another way is to be creative with the command-line. I do this with my emulators that use images. I name my folder after the image name so you would have something like this:

C:\Games\"Name of your game"\"Name of your game.iso"

Where "Name of your game", is just that. It's the name of your game. So if you use that method of splitting up your images then you can just use this command-line parameter in GameEx!

"[ROMPATH]\[ROM]\[ROMFILE]"

The last two suggestions you would need a map file to grab the names needed to run them. Map files are used by GameEx to use what's left of the "|" delimiter and displays what's right of it.

game.zip|What you want displayed in GameEx

Hope some of that information helped. The task you're after isn't a simple one so good luck with your attempt. ;)

Thanks for the reply. I think I might try the "Name of game" example that you proposed since it's pretty much the case for me now.