All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

New version epsxe out

stigt

For those who haven't noticed it: there's a new release of the playstation emulator epsxe, bringing it to version 1.70.

Also Pete Bernert has updated all of his famous epsxe plugins.

You can download the files from NG Emulation

Have fun,

Arjen

I'm still on 1.5 myself. Never got 1.6 to work properly as it kept freezing with video playback in some games :(.

Hope that's fixed in this version, perfect timing as I'll be getting it for my new arcade system ^^.

Is the a big advantage to using epsxe over psx v1.13?

I haven't tried epsxe in a very long time but I remember it was a complete pain with countless numbers of settings to change, whereas psx has worked great for me with every game I've tried though that being said, I wouldn't be all that into playstation emulation so I haven't tried an awful lot of games.

Are there some games that psx won't play that epsxe will?

Stu

If I remember right, 1.13 had the most accurate emulation but didn't upscale the games or allow for much in the way of tweaking. Probably an ideal choice if you're playing on a low res monitor or a TV... I THINK!

I remember having to use that to play Um Jammer Lammy because every version of ePSXe just refused to play it without dying.

If I remember right, 1.13 had the most accurate emulation but didn't upscale the games or allow for much in the way of tweaking. Probably an ideal choice if you're playing on a low res monitor or a TV... I THINK!

I remember having to use that to play Um Jammer Lammy because every version of ePSXe just refused to play it without dying.

Taken from the pSX emulator forum.

Q. Why is everything so blurry? I already set the resolution higher, but it doesn't help! Can I make the graphics look nicer in pSX?

A. pSX does not, and will not, attempt to enhance the graphics of your PlayStation games, but rather, attempts to faithfully reproduce their original graphics because the goal for pSX is to make an accurate emulator that reproduces the gaming experience from the real PlayStation. As such, the games running on pSX will not look much better than on your television screen. The most you can do is enable bilinear interpolation, which smooths the image out when stretching it (not unlike how the image looks on a TV when it stretches the image). If you want an emulator that does enhance graphics, pick any PlayStation emulator that supports the PSEmuPro plugin spec (which includes ePSXe, PCSX, SSSPSX, PSXeven, and many others).

I personally the pSX emulator for a few reasons. It's very easy to setup and runs great. Also like the support of running compressed images for saving space (cdz). So it's all about what you're trying to do. Run true emulation or make it look pretty. ;)

Taken from the pSX emulator forum.

Q. Why is everything so blurry? I already set the resolution higher, but it doesn't help! Can I make the graphics look nicer in pSX?

A. pSX does not, and will not, attempt to enhance the graphics of your PlayStation games, but rather, attempts to faithfully reproduce their original graphics because the goal for pSX is to make an accurate emulator that reproduces the gaming experience from the real PlayStation. As such, the games running on pSX will not look much better than on your television screen. The most you can do is enable bilinear interpolation, which smooths the image out when stretching it (not unlike how the image looks on a TV when it stretches the image). If you want an emulator that does enhance graphics, pick any PlayStation emulator that supports the PSEmuPro plugin spec (which includes ePSXe, PCSX, SSSPSX, PSXeven, and many others).

I personally the pSX emulator for a few reasons. It's very easy to setup and runs great. Also like the support of running compressed images for saving space (cdz). So it's all about what you're trying to do. Run true emulation or make it look pretty. ;)

I always had speed issues with epsxe... sometimes games ran too slow and after that too fast. I switched to psx now and everything works fine. Maybe i'll give the new version of epsxe a try since i play the games on a 22" crt and the blurry psx113 style looks really bad compared to petes d3d and ogl plugins for epsxe (with epsxe i saw the eyes of the tekken characters for the first time while playing)

In my experience epsxe looks slightly nicer in certain games, such as Chrono Cross, yes it is a pain to set up correctly. Finding the right plugins that work with your system, etc.

The only advantage to epsxe is the ability to use cheats via a game genie type plugin.

Vs. pSX using compressed images and easier memory card manipulation.

But thank you all the same for this alert :)

In my experience epsxe looks slightly nicer in certain games, such as Chrono Cross, yes it is a pain to set up correctly. Finding the right plugins that work with your system, etc.

The only advantage to epsxe is the ability to use cheats via a game genie type plugin.

Vs. pSX using compressed images and easier memory card manipulation.

But thank you all the same for this alert :)

I am using Epsxe 1.7 and prefer it over Psx. As to the issue of compressed iso files, I just set windows to uses compression on the playstation iso folder, this has no hit on performance. Epsxe is not hard to set up. If you are a nvidia user, download the latest openGL (nuch better for nvidia chips) graphics plugin. set its properties to nice, or fast, select a full screen res and that is that. Use the null driver for iso loading. I then make sure all my images are in cue/bin format (convert with Ultraiso - Works a treat with many many formats) and use the Epsxe -loadbin command to execute from GameEx.

Trust me, I am not biased. I use Psx for video grabs as Epsxe does not work with fraps, and find that a LARGE quantity of my iso's fail to run. I have nearly 1200 that work with epsxe and of them, i would estimate that 30% fail with psx. Yes, i was using the latest version!

Ok - that is ny 2 pence worth :) It's all I can afford....

weird, for me it was other way around... converting images with magiciso or ultraiso didn't work pretty well, images got smaller and data seemed to be missing...i just have like 7 roms or so and some are not recognised by epsxe but by psx (maybe the new version will be an improvement)

greatflash, does it save a lot of disc space setting windows to compress the folder and how exactly can you do this?

weird, for me it was other way around... converting images with magiciso or ultraiso didn't work pretty well, images got smaller and data seemed to be missing...i just have like 7 roms or so and some are not recognised by epsxe but by psx (maybe the new version will be an improvement)

greatflash, does it save a lot of disc space setting windows to compress the folder and how exactly can you do this?

I'm not greatflash, LOL, but here's how to do it.

1. Right Click on folder

2. Click Properties

3. Click Advanced in the General Tab

4. Check Compress contents to save space

5. Click OK

Am not at work to check exactly, but it is in the region of 30-40% reduction.

Right-click on the folder to compress, select properties, click on advanced, and then tick 'compress contents to save disk space', press ok and then apply (use recursive directorys if wished). be prepared for quite a wait. Best to do it when you got to the land of nod. It may look at times like it has stopped, and if you click on it, it may say 'not responding' do not worry - just leave it to get on with it! (the process can be reversed if so wished by un-ticking the box).

As to compat on the two emu's, All i can say is that I have A large collection on which to base this. Yes, i agree that it may be the dumps! but they all work in epsxe 1.7. Also, re- ultraiso, I have had no problems with it, just make sure the image you wish to convert is recognised as mixed-mode and all will be fine..

hope this helps

I'm not greatflash, LOL, but here's how to do it.

1. Right Click on folder

2. Click Properties

3. Click Advanced in the General Tab

4. Check Compress contents to save space

5. Click OK

imposter! <grin>

ps. you type too fast - i was getting there :)

imposter! <grin>

ps. you type too fast - i was getting there :)

LOL. Sorry buddy! I'm not that fast. Only about 98 + words a minute. Would be faster till I broke my finger and never got it fixed so dropped my speed. LOL.

LOL. Sorry buddy! I'm not that fast. Only about 98 + words a minute. Would be faster till I broke my finger and never got it fixed so dropped my speed. LOL.

well, um - i type at 96 words a minute.. HA, so - you wait, in a couple of years of dedicated tutoring, I will get there first.. Mark my words...

:lol:

Hehe, quoting myself here.

Tried this same game using the latest ePSXe and latest of Pete's GPU plugins, as well as the 1.50 Eternal SPU. Ran absolutely flawless and looks incredibly sharp with all settings on maximum at 1680x1050.

Very impressed! ;)

Is the a big advantage to using epsxe over psx v1.13?

I haven't tried epsxe in a very long time but I remember it was a complete pain with countless numbers of settings to change, whereas psx has worked great for me with every game I've tried though that being said, I wouldn't be all that into playstation emulation so I haven't tried an awful lot of games.

Are there some games that psx won't play that epsxe will?

Stu

Epsxe can play Mktrilogy. I tried FF7 on epsxe and again still had to struggle with plugins and special game fixes.. I never got the battle swirl to work in epsxe.

So I guess Im going to stick with psx.