All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Artwork folder bug?

headkaze

I think I have found a bug when selecting "Use Bezel for vertical Games" in Advanced MAME Settings. When you run a game with that option selected, it will exit back to GameEx. After looking at runitgame.bat I see the following.

@ECHO OFF

C:
CD "C:\Emulation\Mame0123 64bit"
vmame64.exe 1942 -rompath "C:\Emulation\Roms\Mame" -triplebuffer -nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo -artwork -artwork_directory artworkgameex

What is the -artwork switch? Mame does not recognise it!

This is what Mame returns when running runitgame.bat before exiting

Error: unknown option: -artwork

So I don't know what that -artwork switch is doing there but it prevents Mame from running. And since Bezels are enabled by default, this would probably be confusing alot of new users, so I think it's quite an important bug to fix.

I think I have found a bug when selecting "Use Bezel for vertical Games" in Advanced MAME Settings. When you run a game with that option selected, it will exit back to GameEx. After looking at runitgame.bat I see the following.

@ECHO OFF

C:
vmame64.exe 1942 -rompath "C:\Emulation\Roms\Mame" -triplebuffer -nowindow -joy -skip_gameinfo -artwork -artwork_directory artworkgameex

So I don't know what that -artwork switch is doing there but it prevents Mame from running. And since Bezels are enabled by default, this would probably be confusing alot of new users, so I think it's quite an important bug to fix.

I've noticed this a good while ago but i thought it was a mame bug as i'm not using GameEX to apply the vertical bezel (i have the bezel working outside GX in mame with the use_bezels option in the mame cfg set to 1). I'm using vanilla mame 0.109 (compiled with your mame compiler). I must try running a vertical game outside GX to see if i get the error.

:)

EDIT: I think you're right (as usual) - i ran a vertical game (4in1) outside GX and i can't see the artwork error.

@ECHO OFF

C:

I found this:

-[no]artwork / -[no]art Use additional game artwork

Here:

http://www.mameworld.net/easyemu/mameguide/mamew32setup.htm

Assuming that the [no] is optional, it appears to be a valid command...Unless of course it's been eliminated.

But, If you say it doesn't work..I'll go with that!

The only artwork options for Mame 0124a are

-artpath			 path to artwork files

-artwork_crop crop artwork to game screen size
-use_backdrops enable backdrops if artwork is enabled and available
-use_overlays enable overlays if artwork is enabled and available
-use_bezels enable bezels if artwork is enabled and available

So it does look like that -artwork option has been removed. It also looks like -artwork_directory has been removed too. Not sure which version they changed though.

The only artwork options for Mame 0124a are

-artpath			 path to artwork files

-artwork_crop crop artwork to game screen size
-use_backdrops enable backdrops if artwork is enabled and available
-use_overlays enable overlays if artwork is enabled and available
-use_bezels enable bezels if artwork is enabled and available

So it does look like that -artwork option has been removed. It also looks like -artwork_directory has been removed too. Not sure which version they changed though.

Well then, to that I can only say "Good investigative work HK!" :rolleyes:

All this time we've been telling people to turn bezels off, without thinking of the underlying cause... :blink:

Seriously, Nice Job!

This is post #600 for me...Come on Frequency, pick up the pace! B)

Well then, to that I can only say "Good investigative work HK!" :rolleyes:

All this time we've been telling people to turn bezels off, without thinking of the underlying cause... :blink:

Seriously, Nice Job!

This is post #600 for me...Come on Frequency, pick up the pace! B)

LOL. I only comment when I'm of help. Not just to boost my status when someone has already answered the question. :P

LOL. I only comment when I'm of help. Not just to boost my status when someone has already answered the question. :P

I don't think I was "Boosting my status", I was giving HK Kudos for a job well done.

Now, Thanks to you, I have another post under my belt! ;)

LOL. Well this time was an acception! ;) Now we both got more under our belt. LOL.

You two! I don't know - like a couple of kids :)

ooops, another post for me to!

You two! I don't know - like a couple of kids :)

ooops, another post for me to!

I am a kid! What's your guy's excuse? LOL. Yeah right! I wish I was still a kid. I guess there's a kid in all of us if we're here doing the gaming stuff. :lol:

So is gameex going to be fixed now so be can have bezels?

Tom hasn't fixed it yet? What the hell! :P

From what I got out of it, Mamedev changed the commandline options, so it may not be possible...

• 1 month later...

I know this is kind of an old topic to bring back to life, but it fits exactly into what I'm experiencing with the Attract Mode.

I've decided to do a major makeover to my GameEx setup, and the next priority on my list is getting Attract Mode working again. I think I deactivated it some months ago, because it stopped working. And now that I've found time to look into it, I see it's the exact same issue, as mentioned above.

In GameEx, whenever I start the Attract Mode/Screensaver, it goes right back to GameEx.

By running the last action from log.txt in a command prompt, I get an "Error: unknown option: -artwork" message box.

Does anyone else have it working? Or am I the only one running it on my cab? :) I spiced it up with some nostalgic videogame commercials.. I can watch those things for hours. :)

I am by the way not using bezels. And I noticed GameEx is creating an "artworkgameex" folder in my Mame directory. I don't know if that's supposed to happen.

I know this is kind of an old topic to bring back to life, but it fits exactly into what I'm experiencing with the Attract Mode.

I've decided to do a major makeover to my GameEx setup, and the next priority on my list is getting Attract Mode working again. I think I deactivated it some months ago, because it stopped working. And now that I've found time to look into it, I see it's the exact same issue, as mentioned above.

In GameEx, whenever I start the Attract Mode/Screensaver, it goes right back to GameEx.

By running the last action from log.txt in a command prompt, I get an "Error: unknown option: -artwork" message box.

Does anyone else have it working? Or am I the only one running it on my cab? :) I spiced it up with some nostalgic videogame commercials.. I can watch those things for hours. :)

I am by the way not using bezels. And I noticed GameEx is creating an "artworkgameex" folder in my Mame directory. I don't know if that's supposed to happen.

From what I got out of it, the Mame -artwork is no longer a valid command. In another thread (I couldn't find it) HK says what the correct option is. I'm almost positive that it is something that Tom needs to do, as he builds the command line for Mame based on the options that we have selected in Gameex. I don't know if Tom is aware of this or not....

thanks for the hint hk

i don't want to see the artwork when my game is 4:3. i have crop artwork turned on and whenever I play a 4:3 neo geo game it gives me a nasty red line at the top or bottom.

when i edit bezelVersion=2 does this only activate artwork for vertical games?

i'm not sure if i get the difference between artwork and bezel right...

I noticed the NeoGeo bezels when they showed up a few MAME releases back. I like the idea of them, but they make most of the NeoGeo games way too small to be playable. The only resolution I came up with was when one of those games came up with it's minuscule display, I would hit tab and go to video options to turn off artwork. This is a per game setting and stored in the ini file for the game. So, once it's done once, it's done. Anyway, that's be best suggestion I can give right now. Perhaps there's a way to list out all NeoGeo games with RomLister and copy the ini file to all other games so it's just done with?

I believe this is a problem with the Mame version detection. AFAIK you can fix this by changing the following in GameEx.ini

BezelVersion=2

Thanks. I'll try that later tonight.

Although of course the bezels are turned on always now, which makes some of my favorite games, like Donkey Kong, only utilize about 14" of my 29" screen. :/

It's a difficult choice, but I think I'm going to stick with fullscreen games instead of the screensaver, for now.

I hope Tom finds some time to fix it, or make it possible to change the screensaver parameters. Maybe add a "ScreensaverCommandline=" in GameEx.ini if that's possible? That would be awesome.

Although of course the bezels are turned on always now, which makes some of my favorite games, like Donkey Kong, only utilize about 14" of my 29" screen. :/

It's a difficult choice, but I think I'm going to stick with fullscreen games instead of the screensaver, for now.

I hope Tom finds some time to fix it, or make it possible to change the screensaver parameters. Maybe add a "ScreensaverCommandline=" in GameEx.ini if that's possible? That would be awesome.

What sort of options are you looking for?

Well, mainly the option to exclude the -artwork parameter for now. But If the screensaver could have bezels turned on, while off in the main Mame settings, when you play the games, that would be pretty cool.