All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Setting up zinc as an emulator.

Brian Hoffman

Ok here us the deal.. Im attaching a zip will all the needed files.... EXCEPT ROMS ;) This is for zinc 1.1

Notes: Extract the files into c:\zinc or where ever. Then configure gameex as follows.

rom images will go into the rom folder.

[Emulator_26]
Enabled=True
STARTPAGENAME=[Arcade] Zinc
TITLETEXT=Zinc
StartPageLogo=
ROMFilter=*.bat
RomPath=c:\zinc\
SnapPath=
TitlePath=
BoxPath=
CartPath=
ManualPath=
ControlPanelPath=
InstructionsPath=
WorkingPath=c:\zinc\
MapKeys=
WaitBeforeKeys=
SendKeys=
ReplaceDash=
ReplaceUnder=
Capitals=
RemoveBrackets=
ShowDesktop=False
Debug=False
MAPFile=
AlsoLaunch=
Command=""[rompath]/[romfile]""
OLDatZip=
LaunchBefore=
LaunchAfter=
configFile=
ExcludedFiles=
CustomBackground=
PlayMusic=
DontShowInfo=
PlaySelectionMusic=
SelectionMusicFolder=
PCGame=
DATABASE=
GamesIn7Zips=
PlayInScreenSaver=
ShowMostPlayed=
RandomMostPlayed=
CDCheck=
CDCheckFile=
[GENERAL]
DumbyValue=

zinc.zip

Ok here us the deal.. Im attaching a zip will all the needed files.... EXCEPT ROMS ;) This is for zinc 1.1

Notes: Extract the files into c:\zinc or where ever. Then configure gameex as follows.

rom images will go into the rom folder.

[Emulator_26]
Enabled=True
STARTPAGENAME=[Arcade] Zinc
TITLETEXT=Zinc
StartPageLogo=
ROMFilter=*.bat
RomPath=c:\zinc\
SnapPath=
TitlePath=
BoxPath=
CartPath=
ManualPath=
ControlPanelPath=
InstructionsPath=
WorkingPath=c:\zinc\
MapKeys=
WaitBeforeKeys=
SendKeys=
ReplaceDash=
ReplaceUnder=
Capitals=
RemoveBrackets=
ShowDesktop=False
Debug=False
MAPFile=
AlsoLaunch=
Command=""[rompath]/[romfile]""
OLDatZip=
LaunchBefore=
LaunchAfter=
configFile=
ExcludedFiles=
CustomBackground=
PlayMusic=
DontShowInfo=
PlaySelectionMusic=
SelectionMusicFolder=
PCGame=
DATABASE=
GamesIn7Zips=
PlayInScreenSaver=
ShowMostPlayed=
RandomMostPlayed=
CDCheck=
CDCheckFile=
[GENERAL]
DumbyValue=

Thanks Brian. I've been wondering lately how to set up zinc, model2 and final burn alpha.

:)

Thanks a lot Brian! Worked like a charm I just wish I could have gotten it set up in the Mame list but this will do :)

Just copy that stuff in your mame dir minus the batch files and the roms.. As zinc uses mame roms anyway... Unless your mame roms are located in a diffrent folder than default... EG.. ..\mamefolder\roms\

I just put this together for the peeps who wanted it sepreate.

Just copy that stuff in your mame dir minus the batch files and the roms.. As zinc uses mame roms anyway... Unless your mame roms are located in a diffrent folder than default... EG.. ..\mamefolder\roms\

I just put this together for the peeps who wanted it sepreate.

Thanks I appreciate it! It seems to be the only way for me to get Zinc working :D

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks I appreciate it! It seems to be the only way for me to get Zinc working :D

I am still unable to get zinc running in gameex. It will just go to a black screen for a few seconds and then go back to gameex. I cant seems to figure out why.

I am still unable to get zinc running in gameex. It will just go to a black screen for a few seconds and then go back to gameex. I cant seems to figure out why.

Well EDIT one of the BAT files and copy the contents... Goto CMD prompt.. Navigate to Zinc folder.. Paste the contents and see what the error is..

You popbably are missing roms.

Brian,

I set up zinc using this method today, it works fine, just one question. I had my controls setup via Winterblast's plugin. I copied the file containing those config's into the new zinc directory, but it didn't work. Is there a simle way to use what I have, or is it time for me to quit being stubborn, and learn how to use ???

I can't think of the name, it's not AHK is it?

Brian,

I set up zinc using this method today, it works fine, just one question. I had my controls setup via Winterblast's plugin. I copied the file containing those config's into the new zinc directory, but it didn't work. Is there a simle way to use what I have, or is it time for me to quit being stubborn, and learn how to use ???

I can't think of the name, it's not AHK is it?

It is AHK. :)

If you need help let me know :)

It is AHK. :)

If you need help let me know :)

I have a wrapper for this without the need for all the .bat files. Everything is hardcoded. So all that is needed is one file. I had posted at an earlier time what options were wanted but never got any responses. Just cleans things up a bit. So I can release as soon as I get some feedback.

I have a wrapper for this without the need for all the .bat files. Everything is hardcoded. So all that is needed is one file. I had posted at an earlier time what options were wanted but never got any responses. Just cleans things up a bit. So I can release as soon as I get some feedback.

what's the deal with zinc anyway? Isn't it just the same as mame? It uses mame roms right?

what's the deal with zinc anyway? Isn't it just the same as mame? It uses mame roms right?

yes it does....

the diffence is its usage.

mame is used

mame.exe ROMNAME

Zinc is used

Zinc.exe 15

Zinc uses a numbering system to launch its supported games.. so its not like a simple Zinc.exe [romfile] would work :(

yes it does....

the diffence is its usage.

mame is used

mame.exe ROMNAME

Zinc is used

Zinc.exe 15

Zinc uses a numbering system to launch its supported games.. so its not like a simple Zinc.exe [romfile] would work :(

OK that's all well and good but why go to the trouble if you have mame. What I'm asking is, what is the benefit to using Zinc?

OK that's all well and good but why go to the trouble if you have mame. What I'm asking is, what is the benefit to using Zinc?

The games that zinc runs, run better than in mame....But it's a pain! :(

• 5 weeks later...
this worked prefect for me thank you.. now jsut need to figure out how to map buttons

Brian will tell you to use xpadder to reassign the keys just do a search on the forums, it's been discussed alot.

I chose to edit my config files...but you probably shouldn't listen to me! :blink:

Except when I tell you to do what Brian says :lol:

Brian will tell you to use xpadder to reassign the keys just do a search on the forums, it's been discussed alot.

I chose to edit my config files...but you probably shouldn't listen to me! :blink:

Except when I tell you to do what Brian says :lol:

ya everytime i get stuck on somethign i seem to find a post from Brain to help me out of my "oops" that i make lol

sorry guys, id on't get it!

brian you're a little too quick for me...

I got zinc working with winterblasts gui but only get black screens inside gameex (goes black then back to gameex)

now two questions:

1. is it possible to give me step by step instructions on how to set up zinc in a custom dir (i have it in d:\games\zinc)

2. is there a way to exit zinc by another key than esc? i have an xarcade controller...xpadder seemed to be a solution for gamepads, am i right?

thanks for helping me out,

chriss

ok, i figured out that the confg file of gameex is in c:\program files\gameex\config\gameex.ini

thats for the newb's who just used the setup tool of gameex so far.

after netering brians information at the right part, zinc works

now two other questions i can't find an answer for:

1. how do i switch zinc from d3d to opengl, when i click on winterblatcts ogl button a webpage opens up, nothing else

2. still i haven't figure out a good way to configure the x-arcade and a way to get back into gameex.. (in mame i configured the exit by pressing two keys at once)

help appreciated

thanks

everything is working now, except i cant exit the emulator with my x arcade

somehow i have to remap the esc key, how do you guys do that?

This is from Tom:

Yes, right flipper and player 2 is setup as default for using X-Arcade and GameEx.

Its in the GameEx docs, but I cant slam you, as I dont read manuals either!

hey tempest. thanks for the hint!

now i tried to understand the advanced configuration ini files to freely configure two buttons (like pressing c and key 5) but it seems to be optimised for gamepad use and i don't get it to work with the x-arcade...

by pressing the two buttons you quoted i can exit mame and the snes emulator

but it doesn't work for zinc!

dunno why, the sound of the game keeps playing and the screen turns black!

how can i exit zinc for good?

hey tempest. thanks for the hint!

now i tried to understand the advanced configuration ini files to freely configure two buttons (like pressing c and key 5) but it seems to be optimised for gamepad use and i don't get it to work with the x-arcade...

by pressing the two buttons you quoted i can exit mame and the snes emulator

but it doesn't work for zinc!

dunno why, the sound of the game keeps playing and the screen turns black!

how can i exit zinc for good?

Well I can make a script for you ... Tell me what two keys you want to press to send ESC and Ill make an EXE that you can run in the launch before field :)