All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

I Need Help Getting NeoRaine Going

DJ Infinity

I am trying to setup NeoRaine for NeoGeo Cd Emulation. I have never had success using Nebula for this because it crashes. I have my disc images zipped in individual folders along with the mp3's. But when I get in Game EX it says no roms found. Do I need a wrapper or a loader for this?

Well Nebula doesn't support MP3's...actually I'm not even sure if it supports WAV...typically with Nebula it has to be BIN+CUE...or it has to be in a format that can be mounted in a Virtual CD\DVD drive.

However Nebula isn't the subject. :)

Now NeoRaine if I recall does support MP3 or WAV...but they have to be listed in the CUE file....which typically they are. :)

I know Tux made some mention about archived images...but I didn't get to follow up on that to much as of yet...so you'll have to talk to him...or maybe someone else here has tried it and knows the in's and out's.

Oh and no this doesn't require a wrapper\loader....just some mild trickery & a Map file. :)

Okay I'm going to assume hopefully correctly that you have one game per sub folder...now what I want you to do...is go through and make sure the sub folder thats holding the game...has the same name as the CUE file or vice versa...what ever makes it easy for you to read and know what game is there.

I'll post more in a bit.

Next I want you to grab CD Dir to Map.zip...do not play or use any of the other scripts in that thread as they will screw stuff up.

Now what your going to do is take the executable from that archive and place it in the primary directory thats holding all the sub folders with the games...double click it & wait a few 30 seconds or so & should have generated a map file for you.

You'll next have to setup NeoRaine to make use of that Map file...in the Map file section of the emulator setup browse to where the map file is...and select it.

Next you'll have to edit your command line to look something like this

NeoRaine32.exe "[RomPath]\[Rom]\[RomFile]"

Oh and of course setting the rom folder to the primary folder holding all the sub folders.

I know this is kind sloppy instructions...but I'm a little tired right now...so it'll have to do till tomorrow.

Is there an eay way to generate map files from romsets? I read the other thread, and it loks like the answer is no.

If there was an easy way, you probably wouldn't have generic map files in the first place.....hmmm....

From the roms them selves...not unless they are No-Intro where the names are fairly clear from the get go. ;)

Some emulators namely Arcade ones will create their own DAT files...this is the case with Mame...GX simply calls for the creation of a DAT file then parses the data and creates its own MAP file.

Now there is certainly a way to do it from DAT files dealing with rom sets...I've been doing this for a while. Tho its typically dependent on UltraEdit as a text editor...tho any text editor that supports RegEx & Macro's will do.

So if you get your self a copy of UltraEdit I'll instruct you young grasshopper in the secrets of Map-Fu. ;)

From the roms them selves...not unless they are No-Intro where the names are fairly clear from the get go. ;)

Some emulators namely Arcade ones will create their own DAT files...this is the case with Mame...GX simply calls for the creation of a DAT file then parses the data and creates its own MAP file.

Now there is certainly a way to do it from DAT files dealing with rom sets...I've been doing this for a while. Tho its typically dependent on UltraEdit as a text editor...tho any text editor that supports RegEx & Macro's will do.

So if you get your self a copy of UltraEdit I'll instruct you young grasshopper in the secrets of Map-Fu. ;)

Come on now. You know I'm a lil slow :blink: Step1 would be a good starting point :) then Step2 ok slow it down for an ol' schooler

Come on now. You know I'm a lil slow :blink: Step1 would be a good starting point :) then Step2 ok slow it down for an ol' schooler

I am really starting to hate this emu. I came up with the idea of instead of keeping everything in an individual folder rename all the files so they wouldn't overwrite each other when moved to one directory so my disc image would be named Art Of Fighting 3.zip and the wav files

Art Of Fighting 3-02.wav. Sound like problem solved right? WRONG!!!! when moved into one directory with other images the emulator screws up the music and plays music from other games. Now when I take the same game & files and move it into it's own directory so it is by itself it plays correctly. What a POS! If there isn't any way to get this done in game ex oh well I'll delete it all and save 26GB of space.

Did you adjust the cue files accordingly?

That said your doing a lot more work than whats required.

As is it should just be naming the folders how you like them...then editing the name of the CUE file to match that of the folder.

Example:

C:\Roms\Neo-Geo CD\Art Of Fighting 3\Art Of Fighting 3.cue

Thats it

Did you adjust the cue files accordingly?

I am not using cue files. How the games are setup is like this. They are in individual folders. The disc contents are in zip files and the corresponding wav files are now named track02 etc. I wouldn't know how to convert them to bin/cue format.

oh dang...never seen it like that before....yeah if there isn't any sort of index file (CUE) keep everything in one folder...and I'll have to change that script I referred you to...so that it works for your needs...odd...

Here's a screenshot to give you an idea

post-2450-1203116430_thumb.jpg

Well must have been directly intended for NeoRaine...because it wouldn't work with any other Emu out there that I'm aware of.

Yep you are correct. This was intended for NeoRaine. I had it another way for Nebula but Nebula kept crashing on me. So when I converted one over to this format and it was stable I converted all.

Custom built for you...should find the zip file and add it to the map file....in this case rename the zip to match the folder name...so that my little trick will work for you.

ok I extract the rar into the roms directory run the script and it generates a .map file ok. what next? this is a neat script thingy you made.

Next you need to direct the GX Configuration application to where the map file is.

Then you need to edit your command line to reflect the bit of trickery we are doing to make this work. :)

Ok I made everything look like the screenshot. The good news is the folders show up. The bad news is Game Ex isn't going inside the folders to launch the games properly

Okay I think you missed the part where I said you need to rename the zip files to match the name of the folder its in.

Because:

Aero Fighters 2 (1994-09-29)(SNK)(Track 01 of 34)[!][NGCD-075, NGCD-075E].zip|Aero Fighters 2

I don't think you have a folder named:

Aero Fighters 2 (1994-09-29)(SNK)(Track 01 of 34)[!][NGCD-075, NGCD-075E]

Hehe at least I hope not...I would have done something more like so for the folder name:

Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E]

Which means the archive (zip) would have been named:

Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E].zip

Which then ideally the map file created would have this:

Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E].zip|Aero Fighters 2

Its extremely important that the archive matches the folder name.

Because when we use [RomFile] GX uses whats on the left hand side of the pipe symbol...which should be:

Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E].zip

When we use [Rom] GX uses all but the file extension on the left hand side of the pipe symbol...which should be:

Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E]

So when we have the code:

[Rom]\[RomFile]

Which GX reads as:

Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E]\Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E].zip

Which is out game folder and game archive...but we need the path there to the game folder so we use [RomPath] in our code:

[RomPath]\[Rom]\[RomFile]

Which probably translates into something like:

C:\Roms\Neo-Geo CD\Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E]\Aero Fighters 2 [NGCD-075, NGCD-075E].zip

Oh should probably cover this just to be sure...I know I'm jumping all over the place...and sorry about that...really should have done up a tutorial on how to do this...as its not always clear....I'm speaking of the whole of this topic...not just this part. ;)

[RomPath] is defined by what you entered as the "ROM Path:" in the Configuration application...in this case it should be set to the folder that holds all of the sub folders.