All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Which naming format do YOU use?

hansolo77

romset format  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which naming format do YOU use?

• GoodMerge
    • No-Intro
    • TOSEC

This poll has come out of a thread where Circo was discussing his video releases. I'm a little confused no, and just curious what everybody else thinks/uses. I've always used GoodMerge, and since Tom's program has 7zip/GoodMerge support, I assumed that was what everybody uses. However, I do know that GoodMerged sets are rarely updated. I always thought this was because they were "complete" and didn't need updated because no new roms were released. So the more I think about it, and here ideas from the other thread, maybe a no-into romset would be better.

So what do you think?

What I like aboutno-intro is that there are not 10 roms for each game, it is an extremely clean set with very clean file names. Also the are no overdumps or bad dumps and no homebrew.

But some of the homebrew are cool. Like new maps for Super Mario, or different race tracks on Virtua Racing. Granted, a lot of the homebrew stuff isn't all that great. I've seen things like mods where all the female fighters in Mortal Kombat are naked, or Sonic is already Super Sonic when the game starts. It's not really worth it in the long run.

Well thanks for your input guys. I'm gonna wait and see how this poll pans out, and see where to go.

I use a nointro rom set but then I run GoodTools on it to rename the files to the same as in GoodTools just because this is the common naming convention for snaps and that though I think Circo mentioned somewhere that he's naming his new sets to NoIntro

Stu

What I like aboutno-intro is that there are not 10 roms for each game, it is an extremely clean set with very clean file names. Also the are no overdumps or bad dumps and no homebrew.

I have to agree with Circo on this one i prefer clean sets and no hacks or homebrews (in most cases they are incomplete anyway) only thing i put in from some

systems are translations from a .jap game to UK becouse i dont understand a word of it else and some games are great and sadly never realsed in europe or US

my 2 cents tho. :)

Night

I have to agree with Circo on this one i prefer clean sets and no hacks or homebrews (in most cases they are incomplete anyway) only thing i put in from some

systems are translations from a .jap game to UK becouse i dont understand a word of it else and some games are great and sadly never realsed in europe or US

my 2 cents tho. :)

Night

Correct me if I'm worng (I've not yet checked out no-intro), but as far as naming conventions go: just because good-tools supports naming homebrews and hacks, etc, there shouldn't be any reason you could not have a good-named "clean" set without these included... Options are our friend ;)

Gotta go with Good tools because of the naming of snaps. Also like to seperate sets by country. One day if gameex allows seperate directories for emulators, you'll be able to seperate out what you don't want.

Gotta go with Good tools because of the naming of snaps. Also like to seperate sets by country. One day if gameex allows seperate directories for emulators, you'll be able to seperate out what you don't want.

No Intro's are separated by country just like Good tools, but instead of having 10 diff us roms 5 jap roms and 2 european roms, you have 1 US 1 JAP 1 EUR that is guaranteed clean. Also as far as the snaps are concerned, I am working on that. :D

You will already find many of the sets over at emumovies.

Correct me if I'm worng (I've not yet checked out no-intro), but as far as naming conventions go: just because good-tools supports naming homebrews and hacks, etc, there shouldn't be any reason you could not have a good-named "clean" set without these included... Options are our friend ;)

afcouse if you delete all those it would be the same and as well if you did that with TOSEC :)