All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Beta DB's

Stu1983

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure why this would be but I'm wondering why you would have to Emu's set up for the same emulator? Are you using different internal settings for the 2 Project 64's to play different games better or something? This is something I thought about doing a while ago but never looked into it, if you are doing this I'd be interested in seeing the settings you using and for what games.

Stu

You'd be right. I haven't gotten much of a chance to game test, as I am still setting everything up, but in my effort to get all of my N64 games working I noticed that while project64 1.6 played most games well with my hardware, there were a couple of games that benifited from PJ 1.7 beta's updated video driver (Jabo's Direct3D8 1.7.0.53). The only 2 games I have set to use it at the moment are: Pokemon Stadium, and Command & Conquer, but I'm sure I could find a few more that run better using it.

I was just going to run them all through the PJ64 1.7 but noticed that a lot of the games that ran smooth in 1.6 suffered serious frame rate drops in 1.7. I think this might have to do with my hardware being a little less than ideal (Athalon64 3400, 1GBram, 128 GRFX) but again, I haven't done much testing yet.

You can easily recreate the strange effects that GameEx has while using Groups by just grouping an emulator with a blank emu in advance config. You'll notice that the Grouped emu will automatically get listed at the top of the EMUs list in GameEx and that while the DBs still show up, the sort by category doesn't work at all...

There's also a bit of a bug I noticed last night. After erasing the game data in advanced config as suggested by LB11, I went to my SNES games and searched by category. Most of the games sorted perfectly, but I noticed that for some strange reason "Fighter's History" was showing up as a RPG game. I double checked the DB and it's listed as a fighting game, so there is no reason what-so-ever that it should get listed with the RPGs but there it is anyway... ???? I have no idea what's causing that, but it does seem a bit buggy.

SpyDIRmaN:

Did you try deleting the game data in the gameex advancedconfig > ADMIN > Delete all

?

Try that and also go to the data\emulators folder of gameex and I believe you should see

emu1.map

emu1.(something)

emu2.map

emu2.(something)

Just delete them all. Gameex will rebuild it all the next time you go to those emus.

See if that helps.

Wasn't Tom going to have all these db's included in a future build of GameEx so they'll be there automatically? Also.. has anybody HEARD from Tom lately? I've just started to notice that there haven't been many messages from him on the forums of late.

There's also a bit of a bug I noticed last night. After erasing the game data in advanced config as suggested by LB11, I went to my SNES games and searched by category. Most of the games sorted perfectly, but I noticed that for some strange reason "Fighter's History" was showing up as a RPG game. I double checked the DB and it's listed as a fighting game, so there is no reason what-so-ever that it should get listed with the RPGs but there it is anyway... ???? I have no idea what's causing that, but it does seem a bit buggy.

Thats probably similar to what I was talking about. I noticed that after I filled in the databases completely and replaced the old ones. I had the same problem with tennis in racing and Mortal kombat in traditional and etc. It seemed to be the same games in the same wrong places. Deleting the master data didnt work that time, so I manually deleted extra stuff as explained in my previous post. That seemed to work. But for all I know next time I load up gameex it will pull the wrong info again. Hopefully not.

Anyways, if you suspect something is in the wrong category, go to the gameinfo page and it will show the proper category. You dont have to exit gameex and open the database. The page that has the view cart title etc. It should say the proper category up there.

SpyDIRmaN:

Did you try deleting the game data in the gameex advancedconfig > ADMIN > Delete all

?

Try that and also go to the data\emulators folder of gameex and I believe you should see

emu1.map

emu1.(something)

emu2.map

emu2.(something)

Just delete them all. Gameex will rebuild it all the next time you go to those emus.

See if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had done the Delete game data thing, but hadn't erased the emu.maps. I noticed there were also a number of files labled "emu#.dbcache" I deleted those as well, and that seems to have fixed the category miss-matching that happened before. still no change with the grouped emus not being able to sort, but I think I read somewhere by TOM that Grouped emu's don't yet support DBs. Maybe I should consider it a bonus that the DBs even show up.

Perhaps while Tom's doing the Search features he will revamp the DB support and include it's use within Grouped emu's (at least for configurations, like mine, using the same DBs accross all grouped emus)...

hansolo77 -

Yes final builds of the db's will be included with GameEx's install. Once this part is done, they will likely go in...there maybe small updates here and there or more db's added later on...but this is the final hurdle really for inclusion.

Nah no one has seen or heard from him...which means more than likely a pair of boobs are involved. ;)

No problem, Im glad I could give something back to the community!

Added both the Atari 2600 + 5200 that were previously un-doable. Thanks for the tip nologic!

I added the no-intro names field back into the 5200 DB after the processing in case we do something with it later. I left the 2600 out since there was no info there.

I figured I would do the smallest ones first. That way it looks like im doing something! :P

Ive been working on the commodore 64 for like a week and still have quite a bit to go :( Ill probably do the dragon system next since its small as well.

Im trying to get them all done soon, because season is comming back where I work and I wont have time to do much of anything, much less the MDB's

LB11 -

Good deal looking forward to giving your handy work a good workout. :)

Stu -

Would it be possible to examine the Moby cat info can compare it to AllGame's and see if there is a distinct pattern of how they relate to one another...I'm just thinking that if its possible...and if the results appear to be constant...maybe we can fill out the rest of the db's based off Moby data.

Just thinking maybe an hour or two of your genius may save LB11 a lot of time...if its possible.

I was thinking about that. I havent really seen and direct relation honestly. We might be able to do a large part of it that way though. Most of the games not on allgames, I was able to get the correct category strait from moby! If you read the description you can usually tell what it is. Plus screen shots. And the Dragon system actually seemed to have nothing but clones! So moby would say its a clone of this game. All I did was go to allgame and put that game in and voila!

Another easy thing is when moby has a game listed as Action (nothing else) and then in the Non-Sport column it would say shooter somewhere. Then 95% of the time it would be in the shooter category, and the other 5% I would have guessed it was in the shooter category if allgame didn't say otherwise. (I think moby qualifies anything shooting as shooting while allgame qualifies only some type of gun as shooting) Thats my guess since bubble bobble for example falls in the 5%. Action and Shooter from moby, and I sure as hell know you go around shooting bubbles! But allgames says its action.

And Most everything that is labeled as racing/driving is Racing (not if it has other categories as well)

Sports are always sports unless it has Managerial in the "Sports" Column. Then you would definitely have to check it out since allgames might qualify it as a simulation.

Anyways, these are just some things I noticed while going along, and there is actually quite a few things that I don't agree with in the allgames categories, but I follow them non the less.

Im going to try and get the commodore 64 done so I can export it to an xls file to easily browse through it. Then I can pull all the info from there to put in the rest of the databases. It seems like the Commodore64 has the biggest "generic" list of games that would span many systems of the time.