All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

mameinfo.dat halts and some games won't work under gameex

Jeff

Hi guys!

This is probably one of the best MAME front-end application I have ever seen. Now one matter of getting it works the way it should be!

I have about 7000 roms and when i updated the list under gameex. It always halts at "updating mameinfo.dat". when I restarted the computer, the list is never completed.

I also noticed some roms don't work when I run it under gameex. I actually went to command prompt and run the cmd line gameex had programmed. It said It was missing description.bin..

I'm wondering if my ini files are right..

my system is 3200+ AMD, 1gb and ati 9600. I'm using mame ver. 112.

Please advise!

Patience is key! It is probably not halting at all, sometimes it looks like it has. Just walk off, have a coffee or watch some TV and it should eventually make it through.

Well, i would agree with you if it takes over 12 hours. i did it before going to bed, then I came back at noon.. it's still on the same screen.

Oh you didn't mention how long you waited in your first post. Some people have reported this problem and often have just not waited long enough. Obviously it shouldn't take 12 hours.

Try deleting C:\Program Files\GameEx\DATA\gameinfo.txt and try again.

You might also try running GameEx in windowed mode. The update process extracts 7zips of all the files. I noticed these require a direct response from the user. They won't "autoextract" for some reason.

Not that I know of. Are you talking about auto update. Either way no update extracts 7zips.

Not that I know of. Are you talking about auto update. Either way no update extracts 7zips.

All I know is that I was working on getting my Vista machine up and running with VMC. Then I installed GameEx. Once that was ready, I went to update the mame rom list, and it appeared to just 'hang'. After 30 minutes or so, it was still just sitting there. So I tried to ALT+TAB but couldn't switch because of GameEx's always on top deal. I can't remember if there is a "always on top" flag option in the settings, if not there should be. Anyway, I ALT+ENTER'd to get it into a window and noticed there was a 7zip window running. It was prompting me for the extracted destination folder. After hitting 'ok' on the default location, GameEx suddenly woke up and went on to the next part. It looks like every single file it "grabs" from somewhere while building the list is calling on a destination request from the user. The catver, mameinfo, etc. Once all the files were extracted, everything went through ok.

Now that I think about it, this might have only happened the first time. I've not updated the rom list since then, so I can't really say for sure if it ALWAYS happens. Plus, I am running Vista, which might also be an issue. I just recommended it above because it worked for me. <shrug>I dunno...</shrug> ^_^