All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] RPCS3 Setup

yves31

Hi!

I'm trying to setup the RPCS3 emu in Gameex.

I've read the post about creating link file to the EBOOT.BIN. Which can be renamed...

But I'm not sure how to create the link. 

From my understanding , you create a folder where you put all the link. You rename the EBOOT.BIN to Anything.lnk.

You have the rom filter set on the lnk in the folder that you create. 

But How do you create the link in that folder?

Thanks for any help

Yves

Hi yves31,

I read the GameEx posts in the forum as well. However, I also read some posts on another emulation site dated 2020 that state that RPCS3 is not compatible using .lnks and it's command line functionlity is pretty weak, so who knows. We can only try to see if it works. Please keep in mind that using links is kind of a jury rig for games that utilize the same file names to launch games (like eboot.bin). It is not ideal.

Now, I should also mention that I have not done any RPCS3 emulation, so I am making some assumptions. Please correct me if needed:
- Each game resides in it's own folder, eg Games\Sony Playstation 3\Alone in the Dark Inferno BLUS30232\PS3_GAME\USRDIR\EBOOT.BIN .
- Games are launched using the EBOOT.BIN.

If the above is correct, try the following:
- Create a folder called PS3Links (or whatever you like) and place it somewhere that makes sense (near the games for instance).
- Go into one of the games and find the EBOOT.BIN.
- Right click the EBOOT.BIN and select CREATE SHORTCUT.
- Within that directory a new shortcut will be created called eboot.bin - shortcut.
- Rename the shortcut to the name of the game, eg Along in the Dark Inferno (this is how the game name that will appear in the GameEx list)
     - I do not believe you need to include .lnk in the file name. When testing, if the game does not show up in the list, add .lnk and retest.
- Move the shortcut file to the PS3Links folder.
- In the GameEx Setup Wizard, go to your RPCS3 setup.
     - Set the ROM PATH to your PS3Links folder, eg Games\Sony Playstation 3\PS3Links
     - Set the ROM FILTER to *.lnk
     - Set the COMMAND LINE to rpcs3.exe ""[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]""     (note the double quotes)

Then test it out. If it works, you can make links for the other games and do some more tests.

If it does not work, after a failed launch, please post a copy of your GameEx.ini and log.txt files. They can be found in the GameEx > LOG and GameEx > CONFIG folders.

Of course, if it does work, please let us know. :)

Hi!

Thanks for the detailled help :) Would be really happy to make this one work. 

I followed every step like you suggest. But the emulator gives an error message when trying to run the game. I've attached 2 screenshot so maybe it can give you an idea on what the problem could be.

As you can see, I've executed gameex in debug mode.log.txt

Thanks again,

Yves

Error.PNG

Execution.PNG

GameEx.ini

I looked over your config and just want to confirm a few things.
1) The shortcut file for Magician resides in F:\PS3\PS3Games, correct? If not, please change the ROM path to the folder where the shortcut file resides.
2) What is the actual filename you made for the Magician shortcut file? Magician, Magician.lnk, or something else?
3) What is the full path to the eboot.bin for Magician?
4) And, just curious, what is the full name of the Magician game?

I am beginning to have the feeling that RPCS3 may have worked with shortcut (aka lnk) files at one time and that 'feature' may have been removed since 2017. I am hoping the answers to the above will help us figure that out. Even if shortcuts are not supported, there are ways to make this work (such as with a batch file or AutoHotKey script). Hopefully we don't get to that point as that will go beyond the help I can provide. Let's see what we can figure out.

Hi!

Here's the answewr

1. yes I move the link file from the game folder to put it in F:\PS3\PS3Games. I rename to Magician and kept the extension as it was.

2. It was named EBOOT.BIN and I renamed it Magician ........  funny thing, I can not see  the file extension of the link file, but I can see the .bin extension. 

3. it's F:\PS3\dev_hdd0\game\NPEB00242\USRDIR

4. It's NEOGEO Station - Magician Lord

one thing I noticed, if I rename the EBOOT.BIN in his respective folder, for any name..... "Potato.xyz" and point gameex in that folder with the xyz extension filter, it will launch the game with no problem. Since, all the Eboot.bin are in their respective folder, it's not a good solution. But gameex is able to launch the game, just the link file that cause a problem.

Thanks a lot for your help. 

I will continue on my side to try to find a solution as well.

image.png.3d471fbff7623666dab0724ad82491aa.png

Thanks for the additional information. I can't see where the usage of the lnk files is set up incorrectly here. Maybe someone else will pop in and see something, but I am now leaning more towards the possibility that the method does not work anymore.

I had also read that RSCS3 is very forgiving about the filename for the BIN, so let's see if we can try it a different way as a test:
- Change the name of the Magician Lord eboot.bin from Magician.bin to Magician Lord.bin
- Set the ROM Filter to *.bin
- Set the ROM Path to F:\PS3\dev_hdd0\game\NPEB00242
- Set the Command Line to rpcs3.exe --no-gui "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"     (note the single quotes now)
- Set the Scan Sub Folders under Advanced Emulator Setup to YES

The reason for the name change to Magician Lord.bin is to also see if RPCS3 cares about a space in the file name.

If this does work, change the name of the BIN files for your other games and set the ROM Path to F:\PS3\dev_hdd0\game and you may just be good.

On 3/2/2021 at 2:01 PM, RedDog said:

Hi yves31,

I read the GameEx posts in the forum as well. However, I also read some posts on another emulation site dated 2020 that state that RPCS3 is not compatible using .lnks and it's command line functionlity is pretty weak, so who knows. We can only try to see if it works. Please keep in mind that using links is kind of a jury rig for games that utilize the same file names to launch games (like eboot.bin). It is not ideal.

Now, I should also mention that I have not done any RPCS3 emulation, so I am making some assumptions. Please correct me if needed:
- Each game resides in it's own folder, eg Games\Sony Playstation 3\Alone in the Dark Inferno BLUS30232\PS3_GAME\USRDIR\EBOOT.BIN .
- Games are launched using the EBOOT.BIN.

If the above is correct, try the following:
- Create a folder called PS3Links (or whatever you like) and place it somewhere that makes sense (near the games for instance).
- Go into one of the games and find the EBOOT.BIN.
- Right click the EBOOT.BIN and select CREATE SHORTCUT.
- Within that directory a new shortcut will be created called eboot.bin - shortcut.
- Rename the shortcut to the name of the game, eg Along in the Dark Inferno (this is how the game name that will appear in the GameEx list)
     - I do not believe you need to include .lnk in the file name. When testing, if the game does not show up in the list, add .lnk and retest.
- Move the shortcut file to the PS3Links folder.
- In the GameEx Setup Wizard, go to your RPCS3 setup.
     - Set the ROM PATH to your PS3Links folder, eg Games\Sony Playstation 3\PS3Links
     - Set the ROM FILTER to *.lnk
     - Set the COMMAND LINE to rpcs3.exe ""[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]""     (note the double quotes)

Then test it out. If it works, you can make links for the other games and do some more tests.

If it does not work, after a failed launch, please post a copy of your GameEx.ini and log.txt files. They can be found in the GameEx > LOG and GameEx > CONFIG folders.

Of course, if it does work, please let us know. :)

Hi!

Using your last suggestion, everything work.

The filename can accept space in the name as well.

A big thanks again for your help on this one.

Yves

• Like 1

• RedDog changed the title to [RESOLVED] RPCS3 Setup
  • Draco1962 locked this topic