All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Needing help with Gameboy and Fusion setups

super dog

Hi everyone!

First of all, I can't thank Tom enough for creating an arcade front end that is so easy to use. It's wonderful!

Only problem is I've tried a couple of the suggested settings for Fusion and Gameboy Adv and they haven't worked. Any ideas? Running an emachine with plenty of drive space and video memory, so that shouldn't be a problem (I think memory is something like 1024 DDR).

Fusion sort of works - it will at least go to the "snowy" TV screen but the game won't start...I have to right click and select the game myself.

GBA does nothing - I just get a black screen after seeing it's toolbar for .01 seconds.

Any help - or direction to a link - would be most appreciated! :D

I've noticed similar problems with GBA (if you're using VisualBoyAdvace). I've narrowed it down to a resolution issue. If you're display isn't set to at least 800x600, VBA won't run. It may flick on for half a second or so then exit. This is true with a lot of other emulators as well. One thing to try (and this may solve your FUSION problem as well) is to exit GameEx and try to run the emulators outside of it, through just plain Windows. If it works there, then you have a config problem in GameEx. If it doesn't, you have driver issues or bad hardware, or an out of date version of the program. I've been able to fix all my problems by just sitting down and taking a few minutes to really figure out the problem. Use the debug mode and make sure the command line GameEx is creating is appropriate and correct. 9 times out of 10 the problem is there, and its something stupid like a typo or a forgotten quotation mark. I mention this because it sounds like Fusion is loading up, but not running a rom. This is usually an indication that GameEx didn't send any rom information into the command line for the emulator. So basically, the emulator loaded and thats it. Good luck!

If you're getting the snow screen in Fusion you're not setting it up right. Can you post your configs for GameEx and Fusion? I'm pretty sure I know what you're doing wrong there.

AAlso, GBA on VBA works just peachy for me. Post those configs too and I'll be happy to help you out.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks guys. Adultery, not knowing exactly what you needed, I'm posting everything that's "turned on." I'm starting to understand how GameEx thinks, but apparently not well enough to fix the problem.

GAMEBOY ADVANCED CONFIGURATION (Current):

Enabled: Yes

Start Pg: Gameboy Advanced Games

Title Text: Gameboy Advanced

Logo: Gameboy Advanced

Rom Filter: *.zip

Roms in Folder: Yes

Rom Path: C:\GBA\Roms

Working Path: C:\GBA

Map Keys: Yes

Replace Dash: Yes

Underscore: Yes

Capitalize Words: Yes

Remove Text: Yes

Show Desktop: Yes

Debug: No

Command: VisualBoyAdvance.exe [ROMPath]\[RomFile]

Custom Background: GBA.png

Database: Gameboy

FUSION CONFIGURATION (Current):

Enabled: Yes

Start Page: Sega Genesis Games

Title Text: Sega Genesis

Logo: SEGA

Rom Filter: *.zip

Roms in Folder: Yes

Rom Path: C:\SEGA & CD-ROM\Sega Genesis Roms

Snap Path: C:\SEGA & CD-ROM\Snaps

Box Art: C:\SEGA & CD-ROM\Art

Working Path: C:\Fusion

Map Keys: Yes

Replace Dash: Yes

Replace Underscore: Yes

Capitalize Words: No

Remove Text in Brackets: Yes

Show Desktop: No

Command: Fusion.exe -fullscreen 1 "[ROMpath]\[RomFile]"

Background: Gen.png

Database: Genesis

Han, I appreciate your advice but both work fine outside GameEx. I am going to try the debug mode though to see if it will tell me / give me a hint as to what's wrong. Once again, thank you both! :D

Adultery,

Well, he can be taught, I suppose. I read the small blurb at the end of your post about the GameEx configurations and decided to check out those listed in the posts above. On page 2, I found one for the Kega Fusion 3.4...and when I changed mine to the existing post, much to my surprise mine also worked! No more snowy screen! It goes right to the game!

I have this "sneaky" suspicion that I will have to have two SEGA pages - one for the Genesis Roms and one for my SEGA CD discs. Am I right or wrong on that?

I'm still open for the Gameboy Advanced help though....no luck there yet! :D

I have this "sneaky" suspicion that I will have to have two SEGA pages - one for the Genesis Roms and one for my SEGA CD discs. Am I right or wrong on that?

I'm still open for the Gameboy Advanced help though....no luck there yet! :D

For your GBA - You forgot the quotes around the launch command. Try this:

Command=VisualBoyAdvance.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

Also, you can disable the GUI from the vba.ini file:

autoHideMenu=1 (default value is 0)

Alternately - I use VBA for all my GameBoy emulation and KEGA for all my SEGA needs. I keep my ROM files in seperate catagories by system - so I have a seperate 'emulator' setup for my Gameboy Color / Gameboy Advance / Genesis / Master System / Game Gear so I don't think it'll hurt to seperate them. As far as keeping all your ROMs in one directory, I'm sure you'd probably have to use a seperate 'emulator' config for the Sega CD since there are some other command line options you may want to use. I don't use images for Sega CD so I can't say for sure.

Ok - well, at least I got rid of the GUI for Gameboy Advance...now it just goes to a black screen for a second or two, then back to the Game select screen on GameEx....any ideas what I'm missing now? Could I have mistyped the emulator name under command and that be throwing it off?

Ok - checked that out - that's not it

Ha! My bad. Turn 'Roms In Folders' to no. You also shouldn't have to show your desktop. That combined with the quotation marks you should be good to go. :)

[Emulator_5]

Enabled=True

StartPageName=Gameboy Advance (VBA)

TitleText=Gameboy Advance

StartPageLogo=gameboyadvance

RomFilter=*.zip

RomsInFolders=False

ROMPath=N:\Handheld ROMs\GameBoy Advance

SnapPath=N:\Game Snaps and Scans\GBA\Snapshots

WorkingPath=C:\EMULATORS\VisualBoyAdvance

MapKeys=True

WaitBeforeKeys=

SendKeys=

ReplaceDash=True

ReplaceUnder=True

Capitals=False

RemoveBrackets=False

AlsoLaunch=

ShowDesktop=False

Debug=False

MapFile=

OLDatZip=

Command=VisualBoyAdvance.exe "[ROMPath]\[RomFile]"

TitlePath=N:\Game Snaps and Scans\GBA\Title Screens

BoxPath=N:\Game Snaps and Scans\GBA\Box Scans

LaunchBefore=

LaunchAfter=

CartPath=N:\Game Snaps and Scans\GBA\Cart Scans

configFile=

DumbyValue=

ExcludedFiles=

CustomBackground=emubak.png

PlayMusic=

PCGame=

DATABASE=

GamesIn7Zips=

That got it Adultery - THANK YOU! :D

I don't know if that was entirely it - when I looked at my working path selection, I realized I had it wrong too - but at any rate, VBA is up and going now too.

Thank you guys so much for your help!! While I'm at it, Adultery, I can't wait to see your configuration site when it's done.....man is THAT going to be cool!!

See? If you had did what I suggested first (turn on the debug mode) you could have found that your path was wrong instantly the first game you tried to ran. Honestly, I don't know why I try to help people. :) I also just noticed too that your have the "Roms in Folder: Yes" which Adultry found. I didn't read this thread till now, and I think the folder problem and your path problem was the issue. I really wish Tom would fix that "Roms in Folder" part. It'd solve a lot of problems. Either fix it, or get rid of it I say.

I don't know either Han - some people just don't listen do they! :lol:

Actually I did try the debug thing, but because it picked up on an error that occured earlier during the setup run, it never got to the aforementioned path error. It worked, but I only ran it once, which is why I didn't see the path error until later.