All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Configuring Higan emulator in GameEx

shroud

Hello,

I have always been using Higan (version 92) for emulating NES and SNES behind the GameEx front-end, no problem with launching the games as long as I don't use a version of Higan newer than 93, because to my understanding since version 94 Higan doesn't work from the command line anymore.

However I have problems configuring Higan to use my wireless gamepad/controllers (or any other joystick). The controller is not recognized automatically. I know that key mappings are defined in Settings -> Configuration -> Input, but I couldn't find how controllers keys should be defined (it doesn't work like MAME, where you can just press the keys on the controller and they will be automatically detected). Or is there any command line option to automatically detect a controller?

If you have any experience using Higan in GameEx, I would appreciate any suggestion, before I consider switching to a different NES/SNES emulator entirely.

Hi shroud,

I had not heard of Higan before today, but I did find a copy of v93 and did some testing. I was able to set up my XboxOne via usb for GBA, but I did not try wireless.

My XboxOne controller did not show up in the controller menu, but it worked anyway. All I had to do was double click on the key config option (up, down, left, etc) and then press something on the gamepad. Of course, I did find out that the config is system based. So I found it easier to load up a game, which in turn loaded a system, and then when I configured the gamepad it was configured for that system.

I do have a wireless module for the XboxOne controller, but before I take the time to do that...

• What controllers are you trying to use?
  • If your controllers support a usb connection, do they work when connected in that way?
  • What OS are you running?
  • v93 has three executables (accuracy, balanced, performance). If v92 has the same options, which are you using?
  • Did any of the 'stuff' above help in any way?  :P

I found very little documentation on Higan command line functionality. My guess is that it is pretty basic. I don't know of any emulator that has command line options related to gamepads/joysticks, so I very much doubt there is such a thing with Higan.  :(

Also, I did test v93's command line functionality to make sure v93 was reasonably compatible with v92 (since I could not find v92).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDog said:

Hi shroud,

I had not heard of Higan before today, but I did find a copy of v93 and did some testing. I was able to set up my XboxOne via usb for GBA, but I did not try wireless.

My XboxOne controller did not show up in the controller menu, but it worked anyway. All I had to do was double click on the key config option (up, down, left, etc) and then press something on the gamepad. Of course, I did find out that the config is system based. So I found it easier to load up a game, which in turn loaded a system, and then when I configured the gamepad it was configured for that system.

I do have a wireless module for the XboxOne controller, but before I take the time to do that...

• What controllers are you trying to use?
  • If your controllers support a usb connection, do they work when connected in that way?
  • What OS are you running?
  • v93 has three executables (accuracy, balanced, performance). If v92 has the same options, which are you using?
  • Did any of the 'stuff' above help in any way?  :P

I found very little documentation on Higan command line functionality. My guess is that it is pretty basic. I don't know of any emulator that has command line options related to gamepads/joysticks, so I very much doubt there is such a thing with Higan.  :(

Also, I did test v93's command line functionality to make sure v93 was reasonably compatible with v92 (since I could not find v92).

That was fast! You were right, all that was needed was to just press buttons on the controller to redefine them in Settings -> Configuration -> Input. That was my first thought and I am sure I tried it, but didn't work... perhaps the wireless controller did not "wake up" when starting Higan, but it finally worked when I tried the same thing through GameEx, at which point the controller had already started working for the GameEx menu. Well the important part is that now everything's good :)

Thanks a lot!

@shroud Cool, glad it helped.

Would you do me a couple of favors:

1) Please edit the first post and put a [RESOLVED] at the start of the title

2) Would you post your GameEx.ini file so stigzler can get the config information for Higan for the wiki? You will find it in the GameEx\CONFIG folder.

• Like 1

GameEx.ini

I think there isn't much needed to actually configure Higan to work in GameEx. The command line is simply higan-balanced.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]", other settings are defined directly inside the emulator.

I have no idea on how popular is higan for emulating NES/SNES, I chose it a long time ago because I've read somewhere that it had high accuracy, good performance, compatibility with almost all games, and didn't require an installation (which for me is important since I wanted to carry my retrogaming collection on a USB stick and make it "plug-and-play" -> actually GameEx is the only part which requires an installation and prevents me to fulfill the original idea).

GameEx.ini

3 hours ago, stigzler said:

Ta very muchly. Added with credit. 

I did do a quick search and it looks like there's no other command line switches?

Somewhere it was mentioned a "-fullscreen" switch. I don't use it however because Higan remembers the last configuration settings, so for me it's not necessary, but it might be handy to make sure it opens always in -fullscreen in GameEx.