All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Using two joysticks or a two-stick controller

shroud

We have two controllers, a traditional PC joystick + a typical console gamepad with two analog sticks. The first is USB-wired and the second is USB-wireless, and are recognized automatically by GameEx, they work fine, but I need some hints on the following two issues (mostly related to MAME):

1) The PC joystick automatically works as player 1's control, and the wireless gamepad as player 2's. Is there a way to switch them? Since the gamepad is better, we would like it to be the player 1's default so that it's also the default for 1-player games in general (or games where the 2 players alternate but the original cabinet had 1 joystick only). I could not find a way to order the joysticks in the Setup Wizard.

2) Some MAME games require two simultaneous joysticks for a single player. Of these at least I know "Karate Champ", "Crazy Climber" and "Joyful Road". How can I set up the gamepad so that the two sticks are mapped to joystick 1 and joystick 2? Should this be done inside MAME?

10 hours ago, shroud said:

We have two controllers, a traditional PC joystick + a typical console gamepad with two analog sticks. The first is USB-wired and the second is USB-wireless, and are recognized automatically by GameEx, they work fine, but I need some hints on the following two issues (mostly related to MAME):

1) The PC joystick automatically works as player 1's control, and the wireless gamepad as player 2's. Is there a way to switch them? Since the gamepad is better, we would like it to be the player 1's default so that it's also the default for 1-player games in general (or games where the 2 players alternate but the original cabinet had 1 joystick only). I could not find a way to order the joysticks in the Setup Wizard.

2) Some MAME games require two simultaneous joysticks for a single player. Of these at least I know "Karate Champ", "Crazy Climber" and "Joyful Road". How can I set up the gamepad so that the two sticks are mapped to joystick 1 and joystick 2? Should this be done inside MAME?

1) I don't think there is an easy way of switching these, like a button that swaps P1&2. Instead, you'll have to start a game in mame and press TAB to open the mame options menu. Form there you can change the global controls to rebind p1 and p2 controls for all mame games, or you can do it for the currently running game. The mame menu is pretty self explanatory.

2) Same solution as above.