All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[Attention Tom] Do Adblockers affect your revenue?

RIP-Felix

I have my Ghostery ad/tracker blocker set to pretty much block everything but critical site functionality. However, I realize that it can block ads that help fund the site. Since I care about this site and Tom's financhal incentive to continue work on GameEx I was wondering if blocking Google adsense hits the bottom line (this is the only tracker that appears to be blocked by ghostery on the forums). I could whitelist the site, but I don't like being tracked and HATE ads. So, I'd prefer to continue blocking if it doesn't adversely affect the project.

Anyway, I'd thought I'd ask what your thoughts are?

1 hour ago, Tom Speirs said:

Its just part of how things are. I don't sweat it. Ads shouldn't be showing for you as an Elite though. Are they showing for you? There only supposed to show for guests and Basic memmbers.

No, they are not, but then I use Ghostery so I usually don't see them anyway.

Rant warning:

Spoiler

I often get nag screens (mainly from news blogs) that refuse to show me content unless I whitelist their site, whining about getting paid and the loss of paper news. While I sympathize, don't try to guilt me into a sense of social responsibility for your obsolete business model. The media has changed (from print to electronic) and so too has your business model (from subscription to ads). I get it, but one of the ways I manage my money is to limit my exposure to advertising, it helps cut down on impulse buying. It's not my fault you have decided to go that route, and I don't condemn you for it. However, rather than subject myself to that sort eroding influence, I go elsewhere. If you wanted everyone to embrace your new business model, you should have chosen a less annoying and potentially dangerous one, one that noone would be put off by.They can bombard someone else with useless and often dangerous ads. And save me the guilt trip. Quit whining about the past and get to work on the future of journalism, because there will always be one.

That's something I apreciate about GameEx. Rather than resorting to in app ads, there are paid features and perks, and the free product has a 10 second nag screen. This is great because, although it may be slightly anoying, it isn't potentially dangerous and doesn't depreciate the user experience. Once you get past the nag screen, GameEx is GameEx. You can evaluated for free in order to make a decision about buying. I wish more people got this like you Tom. I prefer the one time lifetime payment option to the subscription model, and absolutely HATE the ads model.

Thank you Tom for thinking of your product and fans when making business decisions. Your a stand up dude:cheers:.