All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Total Newb

Thamuza

I am new to trying to do emulation and after downloading a number of setups, it came down to Hyperspin and GameEx. GameEX won out. I have done the setup menus but cant still seem to get some things working. I am on windows 10 and currently trying to get Atari 2600 working. Do I have to try and setup the emulator outside of GameEX BEFORE I try to use it as a front end. tried to look up a few tutorials on youtube, but none of them stated this fact or not.

Hi,

You should certainly setup all emulators outside of GameEx and ensure they're 100% working before attempting to add them to the front-end. :) GameEx is good, but it won't magically fix any errors you may have with emulators! lol

Get 'em working first, then add them.

And just to clarify the_greese's advice, you don't need to make sure ALL of the emulators work outside GameEx first. You can get one working outside GameEx, then get it working inside GameEx, then move on to the next emulator. I do suggest getting one emulator fully working within GameEx before moving on to the others. That way you will have a better idea what to expect when you do the rest.

If you run into a problem, create a new post about it and someone will try to help you through it. The great thing about GameEx is that there is a lot of 'stuff' under the hood. The bad part is that it can seem daunting and confusing at times. Take a few steps at a time and you will be surprised how fast you will catch on.  :)

Thank you guys for the replies, now I have 1 more question. I am pretty much set on the recommended emulators for all the systems I want with the exception of the Atari 00's. MESS is recommended but with it merging with MAME some time ago. Can I use MAME to emulate these systems or should I use The last version of MESS before the merge?

I use Stella for 2600, and MESS for 5200 and 7800.  I've not updated anything in years since my system is stable and working as is.  But I looked and I'm running MESS v 0.154 if that helps. 

• Like 2

I use the latest MAME since MESS code is in it now. Same command line, just different exe.

• Like 2

Bottom line is, run the 2600 how you want, with whichever emulator you choose.

GameEx will literally (in the real sense of LITERALLY) run anything that is commandline compatible. That basically means 95% of all software available. Not just emulators but ALL software/apps/programs ^_^