All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Free BluRay --> DVD converter?

RIP-Felix

I just got the full series of Battlestar Galactica on Bluray (cheapest option) and would like to add it to my Kodi collection for my HTPC viewing convenience (I don't like having to getup to put another disc in or navigate the slow and endless menus). Anyway, I downloaded VSO Bluray converter, but it only gives me 7 a day trial, then it limits the conversion to 10 minutes. Each episode is taking 45mins-1hr. I might be able to finish in that period of time, but I don't want to be chained to my computer for the next week. Is anyone aware of a free option that does a good job?

Thanks I'll give it a try. Actually, I've  trived to use handbrake before to rip dvd's but had to "aquire" the encryption keys and put them in some folder (I didn't want to mess with that again since it didn't seem to work or was too slow to tell if it was working). I guess I'll give it another try, DVDFab passkey does the job of ripping well, so I wont need the MakeMKV.

Actually I've been meaning to ask what the advantages of MKV files are? I have all my videos in Video/Audio TS folders so I can painlessly re-burn a DVD from them (without menus!:P). Kodi runs fine with them and I've had no need to use another format. However, I see that alot of people like MKV, why?

• Like 1

I prefer the DVDFAB Passkey -> Handbrake method myself. Used to use AnyDVD until they screwed me out of my lifetime by "going out of business", but Handbrake has always been great for the ripping. Your post kind of eludes that Passkey rips too, if that's true I never knew that, I use it to unencrypt and use Handbrake to rip right from the disc.

If your Kodi works anything like my server does, there's no real advantage to MKV over MP4. I'd probably even argue that mp4 is more universally usable across devices.

/my 2c

• Like 2

Yeah. MakeMKV is there for the encryption keys. If you already have that covered you can skip it. 

Since disk space and using WMC are my main concerns I prefer MP4.

MKV has higher quality, but less compatibility. MP4 has less quality, but higher compatibility. 

Personally I can't tell the difference in quality. Maybe on a 4K tv, but we're still running 1080p on every tv and monitor in the house. 

• Like 1

I can see that you can only choose from MKV and MP4 with handbrake for output videos. That's all well and fine, but I like Video/Audio TS folders containing *.VOB format videos because burning the TS file direct to DVD creates the DVD without the need for converting. Is there a way to convert the MP4/MKV to Video TS (vob) from there?

@Adultery if you right-click the icon in the system tray for passkey you can select "Rip to hard disk" or "Rip to image." It creates the whole disc though. I prefer DVD Shrink for DVDs because it lets you re-author the DVD and outputs to TS. Be careful with DVD Shrink's installer if you want to try it  though. Norton 360 auto-quarantined it when I tried to Download it, but when I overruled and carefully installed it everything was fine. It tries to trap you into downloading a virus toolbar (installs a Rootkit), you can avoid it if your careful to decline and uncheck everything related to special offers. They employ behavioral phychology (Decline button and a check box auto checked. If you don't uncheck the box and hit the decline in haste it installs anyway...or something like that.), so again be careful with the installer if you want to try it. Just a FYI for anyone reading this post (I don't like giving viral advice)..

• Like 1