All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Big shout-out to Greatflash

stigzler

Some tinkering led me to look closely at the database behind GameEx tonight. One thing that struck me form the repository manager is that Greatflash has worked almost exclusively on all the database files. 

I'd invite you to download this:

http://sqlitebrowser.org/

then open up just one of the databse files in "GameEx\DATA\EMULATORS" for one of the larger systems. 

You don't hear much from this guy, but man.... that's a lot of graft to pull all that together. 

So big thanks dude! Oh, and he's a UK C64 fan too! Always a winner in my books that. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the 'shout' Stig :)

There has also been quite a lot of work on the databases recently and the slow (but coming) addition of the new MAME system rom names. This can be seen when looking at the SNES database. GX currently does not know about the new data, but that will come once it is improved within the databases. There are also some other important additions, more about that at a later time.

ps. I really must output another developer list ;)

Oh, and he's a UK C64 fan too!

You have to love the 64. It's pretty much what I cut my teeth on with coding games.

• Like 1

I think the multi-rom naming convention part of the db's is something very unique to GE + a great selling point. That SNES db looks amazingly complete - that's a lot of grind!

Dunno how this fits in with GE dev, but I've made GE my go-to for naming standards - system names, emulator names. I've grabbed the system names from the database names (minus the [xxx]). Tell me that this isn't going to change in the near future, as coudl be a bit of a ball-ache to update some of my older apps that don't grab any updated automatically. 

As for the dev list - that feels like 'the' after 8 mint in the Meaning of Life. Someone else might have to eat it for me - happy to maintain the tools! I'm gonna need a break

Heh - come to think of it - my first coding was C64 basic - funny how things don't change - I was tool making back then - making a UDG editor. Wonder how many people know what UDG means now? :D

On 3/18/2016 at 6:41 PM, stigzler said:

Wonder how many people know what UDG means now?

Heh, never heard of it.   But then again, I bet not a lot of people know what GEM TOS is either.  :)

+1 to greatflash!

There's a lot of work going on behind the scenes that most people have no clue about. For example the GameEx Database Manager software I've literally spent years and hundreds of hours writing to help create, manage and update the databases for GameEx as easy as possible. Without it they simply would not be possible. And yes Flash has been a great help with a lot of the data entry over the years and these days he even helps with the code on DBM from time to time. So thanks for your help Flash!

GameExDBM.png

• Like 2

Your productivity never ceases to amaze me, Ben..I also didn't realise the db editor was so sophisticated - I guess essentially you've written your own db management software. I'm always concious that populating those dbs is a lot of work for one man and:

a) feel a bit guilty that I don't help out with the grind (justification: get up to me ***s in my own GE-related projects)

b ) wonder if when the user base grows significantly, you guys look to form different contributor teams (e.g. db editors; image-makers; game-controls constructers). 

On b - I know we get into Jobs territory (end to end control etc), but ultimately, many hands make light work and with the right check and balances, could ensure quality. 

10 hours ago, hansolo77 said:

Heh, never heard of it.   But then again, I bet not a lot of people know what GEM TOS is either.  :)

You mean the Atari ST OS+GUI? Didn't you read above, man!!?? My loyalty laid with the Amiga! ;)

I just want to point out that I'm in no way trying to minimize Flash's amazing work on the databases. There is no doubt he has spent a massive amount of time doing the data entry for them.

The GameEx Database Manager software project was started way back in 2008 to help create the databases we see in GameEx today. DBM processes data from Moby, MAME, Gamebase, Hyperlist, GoodTool, NoIntro, TOSEC and ReDump databases. It has a tonne of features and is in my personal opinion one of the greatest features of GameEx. I'm very proud of this project and most people don't even have a clue about its existence.

I've worked with Flash over the years adding features to DBM to help make his work easier. These days though, he's quite a competent C# programmer himself, and will often implement features on his own. This leaves me the valuable time I need to work on Evo.

I do feel that one day we will be asking for more help from the community to contribute to the databases. Right now though I think Flash wants to see how far he can get on his own. That's a mighty task to say the least, so again, I take my hats off to him for this huge undertaking.

So in answer to your questions:

a) There will be a time when we will be asking the community for help again. DBM supports multiple users and can even upload databases directly to the repo. So stay tuned your help may still be needed!

b ) With Evo we're creating a foundation for the community to build from. From modifying the layouts, graphics and themes to plugins and addons. We really want Evo to be the BYOFE (Build Your Own Front End).

We believe it's the most advanced and customisable FE ever created. So yeah we are very much excited about the community coming along and contributing. There are lots of areas people will be able to help. So this is certainly an exciting time for the GameEx community.

• Like 4