All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Some keyboard keys do not work inside GameEx

gamepimp

I rebuilt some portions of my cabinet recently and finally finished putting the machine back together. When I started it up, GameEx had a new version available so I updated. The keyboard for my computer works fine outside of the program. But inside of GE, the arrow keys do not function so I cannot scroll through the menus with them. The enter key also does not work so I cannot select any of the menu choices. However, the escape key does allow me to exit the program. Now I should note that this behavior only occurs when my USB hub is plugged in. If it is not plugged in, the keyboard functions normally. The hub is being used to provide input for 4 U360's, a spinner, a trackball, a PacLED 64, and a secondary hub that is used for console controllers. I've included a copy of my log file and gameex.ini. Thoughts on what might be going wrong here? Thanks in advance!

log.txt

GameEx.txt

Hey man!

I have a hunch. GameEx will use a default profile for all keyboards (ESC is universal to nearly all keyboards in the world), as well as gamepads and controls panels, until the user specifies exact controls to be used/monitored.

Try this: plug your KB into your USB hub. Load the Setup Wizard, go to Input Settings> Keyboard Input> Enable Custom Keyboard Controls=Yes

Now go through each input and remap them (while your keyboard is attached via your USB hub) :)

If my hunch is sound, you should be good to go afterwards.

Thanks for the reply Dazzle. My only concern with your approach is that I have to have the keyboard plugged directly into the motherboard at boot or it will not be detected. As a result, I cannot get into the BIOS screen and I get an error upon startup that no keyboard can be detected. I'm not near my arcade machine at the moment, but do you think enabling custom keyboard controls and remapping the buttons might work without plugging the keyboard into the hub?

You don't need a KB attached for an OS to be Booted. It may take longer for KB input to be recognized, but it shouldn't hinder you at all.

You also really shouldn't need to be in the bios if you are at this point - this is something you would typically do right from the start, way before you installed Windows, let alone a 3rd party program ^_^

In other words - your KB will be activated once the OS has loaded.

You can also enable legacy usb support in the bios to get around the requirement you talk about.

So I finally figured out what the issue was here. My player 1 button 1 was apparently "stuck" in the on position. I noticed this when I looked at the game controller settings for that U-360 stick. After I "fixed the glitch", everything worked normally on the keyboard. Yeah! Needless to say we can mark this one as [Resolved]. :)