All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Emulator - Multiple Roms

iced00d

Good evening folks. Quick question here. First off - excellent front-end! Of all the front-ends I've used over the years, this one is my favorite so far. First question - so I have an emulator - Final Burn Alpha that I have configured to emulate multiple platforms - coleco, sg1000, tg16, etc.. which I can select from the emulator itself. But when I go to configure FBA from the setup, it only gives me one 'FBA' option with the default directory 'roms' associated with it. Is there a way to configure FBA to 'pick' which platform to run without making several different 'FBA' launch menu items? Second question - if that is not possible, is there a way to launch the emulators GUI so that I can use the 'choose game' function that will list all the platforms? Thanks in advance...

Hi there, and welcome to the forums!

If your end goal is to have one entry of Final Burn Alpha, with one giant game list that launches the correct platform (ie the relevant command for each system) then this can be achieved, but it will take some work on your part to get up and running. It will be worth it however ;)

I've never used FBA but i will assume, unless i'm corrected, that it uses different commands for each system. What you will need to do is setup FBA multiple times in the Setup Wizard - once for each system you are emulating with FBA. You can specify in each different setup which rom directory to point at. So for example, setup FBA for Coleco, name it something like "FBA Coleco" (good naming will make things easier later), enter the command to launch Coleco roms, and point the RomPath to your Coleco roms. Do the same again in a different emulator slot but for SG1000, entering the SG1000 command and point to SG1000 roms. Rinse and repeat this process until you have each system setup in different emulator slots.

A word of caution at this point: I would test each system thoroughly before moving on to the next. It's better to get things working properly in the beginning :)

Once you are satisfied that each system is running how it should, you should then, and only then, look into emulator groups. Emulator Groups allow you to merge multiple emulator setups into one seamless list.

Example:

post-6865-0-20259800-1424486988_thumb.pn

Of course another route (instead of Emulator Groups) which is much more versatile and of which i'm a fan is Custom Menus :P

Either way good luck and don't hesitate to call back if you hit any snags.

Dazzle - Thanks for the warm welcome and advise. I'll give both of your options a try and see which one works best. I'm thinking from reading this, that the custom menus might be the way to go :) ... thanks again ..