All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] import an emulator

sms2169

hi guys, I am using emu 7800 v1.7 for Atari 7800 emulator and was wondering how I can import that into game ex because its the only I can get to run for that system and it takes less than 5 minutes to setup(maybe the easiest emulator to set up on the planet). if I cant do it how much trouble is it to get this added to the set up emulators page. was also wondering about adding kat 5200 as well for the Atari 5200, thanks

It's simple enough. You have to choose an empty emulator spot in the config, then just fill out everything as you go. The first thing you have to do is configure the emulator, which you've already done. Then just go down the list step by step. Make sure to change Enabled to Yes. Enter a Start Page Name (what it will be called inside GameEx's menus), a Title Text (the title at the top of the screen once selected so you know what console you're in), Logo isn't really important, just makes it's pretty, Working Path is folder where your emulator's exe is located, ROM Path is the folder where GameEx will look for Roms, Rom Filter is useful if you have multiple file extensions for the same filename (like cdimages where you have bin and cue files, just set a ROM filter to *.cue and it will only list them once), Command Line is the most important.. you must configure this exactly how you want the emulator to launch.. (typical usage is EMULATOR -FLAGS "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"), All the artwork paths are unnecessary until you get the emulator working inside GameEx first, MAP keys is necessary if you want to have a key combo to exit the emulator and go back to GameEx, Database is nice as it will provide details about the game and list other similar games or ports to other consoles, the 2nd page of the setup is all about customization like capitalizations; dashes; brackets; etc. it's not necessary at first.

Anyway, the best way to learn is to do it. GameEx is very powerful with options and makes it really simply to understand. If you're not sure what an option is for, 99% of them have a balloon that will show you if you hover over the option. Just go and give it a try. If you get stuck, ask again!

• Like 2

You can enter any settings you like in an empty emulator slot (or even an existing one for that matter). The import emulator functionality is more of a convenience than anything, and definitely does not represent the full spectrum of emulators that GameEx is capable of supporting. If an emulator can be run via the command line, it can be used in GameEx. The main trick to adding emulators manually is that it will require a bit of work on the part of the user to figure out the applicable command line to use. Often times this information can be found in the documentation included with the emulator itself (in the form of READMEs and whatnot), or from the home site of the emulator itself.

• Like 1