All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] epsxe wont run in game ex

sms2169

hello im still working on this emulator after a summer break and have done some more research and different command lines in that process but still no dice. it works in the epsxe emulator with all file types, I can get the psx emulator to run in game ex but would like to know why of all systems I have this one that is killing me. I don't use the daemon tools as all files are in iso. bin, cue, ccd, ecm etc. and do not require it from other posts ive read. ill post the log, emulator file and run last game below if someone could decipher any clues, thanks. also I have all arcade files on e drive and at the end of the command line in the log I see it goes to the c drive for user/app and some other things and have no idea why because I cant find that nor have I entered in any path.

run last game is this-

chcp 65001

E:

CD "E:\emulators\ePSXe"

ePSXe.exe -nogui -slow boot -load bin "C:\Users\trendy\AppData\Local\Temp\Unzipped7-Zip\X-Men vs. Street Fighter [sLUS-00627].bin"

I actually can't get ePSXe to run in GameEX either. On top of that, it lists the roms twice, because each rom has the .bin and .cue file for it, and I can't run one without the other.

I can get the psx emulator to run in game ex but would like to know why of all systems I have this one that is killing me. I don't use the daemon tools as all files are in iso. bin, cue, ccd, ecm etc. and do not require it from other posts ive read.

Thanks for posting your plethora of troubleshooting files, it really does make a huge difference in getting to the bottom of issues much more painless. I'm not sure if it's the one 'magic bullet', but among other things I can see that your command line for ePSXe has an error in it.

Command=ePSXe.exe -nogui -slow boot -load bin "[rompath]\[romfile]"

Those command parameters I highlighted should not have spaces in them. So it's just -slowboot and -loadbin respectively (no spaces). So that's a starting point. Give that a try and see if you get any further. Good luck!

I actually can't get ePSXe to run in GameEX either. On top of that, it lists the roms twice, because each rom has the .bin and .cue file for it, and I can't run one without the other.

In your case I would urge you to both post your supporting files (in a new thread), and to investigate the Rom Filter setting found on the Emulator Settings screen in the Setup Wizard. Good luck to you as well! :)

• Like 1

okay with those spaces out I can now get the epsxe emulator to open and after the logo screen is goes to the black and blue sony playstsation screen and never loads the game

heres the run it game-

chcp 65001

E:

CD "E:\emulators\ePSXe"

ePSXe.exe -nogui -slowboot -loadbin "C:\Users\trendy\AppData\Local\Temp\Unzipped7-Zip\THOUSANDARMS.sub"

Closer at any rate. What's the exact format of your disc image used in conjunction with the command above? Is it img/sub/ccd (or simply img/sub)? I generally stick to cue/bin formats (not to mention that I also swear by DaemonTools), but in the case of the former wouldn't you launch the *.img rather than the *.sub (bearing in mind that the command line can significantly differ from what you've done from the GUI)? At any rate the first thing I would try would be to enable Debug Mode on the Advanced Emulator Settings screen in the Setup Wizard. In practice what this will do is to add a pause to the end of your runitgame.bat which will enable you to read any output from the Emulator (in the form of error messages and whatnot).

log.txtI figured out how to merge the romsetes for the ePSXe game list, so it only lists one title each. However, when I click on it, it lists it twice in the "play this game" menu... I'm guessing because each rom consists of 2 files (.bin and .cue). I click on one of them and nothing happens. I click on the other, and I get a black screen.

im thinking thats the problem as there are probably 4 files for each rom in every possible format-ccd,cue,iso,disc image,ecm,mdf,karoke and so on. i noticed that last night if you look at the last log i tried to load the same title in the menu four times as thats how many times it showed up in the games list so im guessing i need to delete all those i unpacked as i still have all 1400 in zip format in a different folder and use something like pakiso or ecm tools to change them to one solid format and hopefully then only 1 file per title. any suggestions as what to use other than that and maybe a tutorial link might help me also, thanks. i do have the psx emulator working for most games but last night i tried all different games and sometimes it would load to the memory card page and get stuck so hopefully fixing roms to iso's or a better format than that will solve all problems in both emulators. lastly when i click on the game it tries to open immediately on my other arcade i have it so when you select the game it opens to an info page to save it in favorites or shows the box and tells history, controls and other selections. do i not have something checked or turned on in one of the set ups menus? thanks

Well so long as the disc images are valid (i.e. they don't produce read errors, and so forth), the multi-part image formats are probably fine. You just need to figure out which component is the one to load. Then you would use Rom Filter setting found on the Emulator Settings screen so that's the only file(s) that display in GameEx. So for instance if you were using cue/bin formats you would put an entry into the Rom Filter field that looks like this:

*.cue

You can enter multiple formats into the Rom Filter separated by commas:

*.cue,*.img

Having said all of that, it would also probably behoove you to reconsider mounting your disc images to DaemonTools. Adultery has a fantastic plugin to assist you in that endeavor, and it takes a lot of the pressure off in terms of figuring out how to load various image formats directly to the emulator.

they are valid all of them run in the emulator itself so i'll have to figure out which of the files it wants to load and add that to the filter because the only thing that works is the bios I assume if I delete slowboot I would get black screen only. is there a list of formats somewhere to know which would be the one to add and which to leave out. i may try to setup daemon this weekend again, last winter i messed with it and could never get them to launch even with the virtual drive mount commands and different drives installed.

Yeah to be honest, I really recommend using a virtual drive for pretty much any disc based emulator that supports loading from an external drive. I've found that various CD-Rom plugins (including the default ones) can be sort of quirky and flaky. The nice thing about something like DaemonTools is that it's purely a virtual CD-ROM drive meaning that it does one thing very well and nothing else. This also allows you to configure (and troubleshoot) your emulator in incremental steps rather than trying to do everything at once and later wonder what single component is causing issues.

When I'm setting up a new emulator, I get it working with DaemonTools first (hint: if you're doing this for the first time you'll want to install a virtual SCSI drive, since ePSXe won't work with the standard DaemonTools drive). I don't worry about trying to automate the image mounting yet, I simply mount the image in DaemonTools manually, then get it working through the emulator. Once that's all working properly, then I get the image to mount via automation. This is where Adultery's Virtual Drive Loader comes in exceedingly handy. You'll still need to figure out what 'component' of the disc image to add to your Rom Filter, but since you've already manually selected disc images to load in DaemonTools (and in doing so selected the various image components to load), you should already know what will work and what will not.

The other thing to try of course is the Debug Setting I mentioned earlier. The success of this setting depends on whether ePSXe outputs verbose error messages or not, but it can be exceedingly helpful at times to determine the source of emulator issues.

@lightly: Fell free to play along in this thread, and see if this advice is helping you along as well. If it's not though I need to reiterate my previous request that you start a separate thread so we can deal with your issues separately. I suspect you're at a slightly different point in your configuration process than sms2169, and thus trying to troubleshoot the separate problems simultaneously will inevitably lead to getting some wires crossed. Like I said, you're welcome to post in this thread, but creating a new thread will help to insure that you're receiving the personalized assistance that we're known for.

Null pointer I see you're a busy man with patience I am grateful for that. Will get back to this issue tomorrow or friday as for now I have a few questions. First will epsxe let you use both the files and a virtual loader for gameplay or with the command line and mount and unmount commands you're stuck picking one option. Did some more research on dt install so shouldn't be too hard. I see in another post you said the loadbin doesn't like cue files so if not using dt what would be the most universal format to convert all my playstation zips to as I will use pakkiso most likely or similar program. I assume you have to unpack/convert each of 1390 files one at a time and can't select all zips and just place them into unpak.Also will try your earlier suggestions for debug and rom filter and get back with you this should keep me busy for the long weekend while the wife is shopping my new cabinet fund away. Thanks

Hmmm... I understand your woes, fellas having just worked through the same difficulties. Short story: you can get all psx emus working with multi format zipped gamefiles. Long: I knocked togethers an app to hopefully help. However, its with the vips at the moment to knock about and see if it breaks. If stands up or if dont hear anything back shortly will post publically.

Alternatively, you could search codeplex for "EmVoy". :)

• Like 1

alright guys I got a game to launch by downloading a new game to my desktop and changing settings. i took off rom filter, merge/7z support,scan sub folders, added show info page. so I had only one game and when I clicked it I got a black screen. that's when I added the show info page then when I click the title it goes to the info page and on the bottom of the page it showed the 4 files in the folder all of them opened the game but the sub file. the disc image file, ecm and ccd files all would open the game. i will post all the logs to look at and im going to try and go back and change back my rom destination to all my games and see what happens. why would it not launch the game without having to go to the info page and then choosing one of those files I would think the title would open it. I don't recall other emulators doing this once you click them from your games list they open straight to game unless info page is enabled then it would go to that but not as part of the launching process, weird.

all right I went back and put in my original game folder and they work this way I described I'll post this log as well but would really hope someone can explain this to me, thanks. the sub file just stayed at a black screen when I tried to open it the other two opened the game if that matters

The RetroArch advice is also good. I've only tooled around a bit with RetroArch, in terms of taking it for a test drive. I've stuck with ePSXe more out of familiarity than anything, but the RetroArch PlayStation emulator core does have a great reputation.

If you do decide to stick with ePSXe as your emulator of choice in GameEx, I highly suggest using DaemonTools Lite in combination with Adultery's Virtual Drive Loader plugin. You can do it differently (using -loadbin and some creative Rom Filtering), but more often than not your game list will wind up looking a bit ugly by necessity (multi-track cue/bin images being one of the primary offenders, but I'm sure there are others).

The great part about using DaemonTools is that it divorces ePSXe from caring about what format the disc images are in.