All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Anyone getting into playing the Steam Trade Market?

DazzleHP

I'm not sure what happened, as i never really bothered with it before, but since the Summer Sales i've been going trade crazy! And it's quickly become an obsession :o I find myself checking the market at regular intervals, waiting for that perfect moment to sell - i even found myself buying extra stock of the Summer Cards when they were dirt cheap, only to hold on to them till i get a decent profit!

Has this happened to anyone else here or is that just strange behavior?

I can't help it but i simply cannot wait till the xmas sales now, because i'll be more prepared for it so can maximise my earnings :ph34r:

I have no idea what that is even. :)

Understandable, being a newbie :) Well, you know them Trading Cards you get by playing games - you have been playing haven't you?? Well you can sell them if you want, you don't have to "trade" them with other members. So, during the Summer Sales i realised by being patient that i can make a profit by buying and selling like a crazy person! :D I've become addicted to it and was wondering if anyone else had fallen :P

Saying that, i just won a 90% off Chicken Shoot Gold LOL Anyone interested?

I'm more of a trader than a seller ... but I got so many duplicates of the summer sale cards I'm considering unloading them on the marketplace proper.

I have no idea what that is even. :)

And speaking of trading ... I actually offered you a card trade just today. :lol:

And speaking of trading ... I actually offered you a card trade just today. :lol:

You did?! Dang i didn't get the notification, that or i sold what you were after just as you requested the trade ^_^ what were you after? Likewise i've gotten rid of all my summer cards now, sold the last couple and got me teh Ninja badge! :D

EDIT - realised you meant Adultery ^_^

You did?! Dang i didn't get the notification, that or i sold what you were after just as you requested the trade ^_^ what were you after? Likewise i've gotten rid of all my summer cards now, sold the last couple and got me teh Ninja badge! :D

Nah I meant Adultery. I was trading off some of my Summer Sale dupes, and looking for other folks that had dupes of the cards I needed. Adultery was part of that group of other folks. :D

Having said that I'm always up for some trades! (Although when I do so I'm generally looking to part with duplicate cards and pick up others from the same set)

Edit: Argh! Now all the Summer Sale cards display with the message, "This trading card has expired, and can no longer be used". So the trade offers I sent out this morning are now null and void. ... And yet Steam lets them sit around cluttering up my inventory ... <_< Thanks Obama Steam!

I was wondering wtf that was al about! I thought you were all like eff me! Lol!

I don't get notified of trade offers or anything. I just found that section a few minutes ago. What exactly of the point of these cards?

I was wondering wtf that was al about! I thought you were all like eff me! Lol! I don't get notified of trade offers or anything. I just found that section a few minutes ago. What exactly of the point of these cards?

Basically, you collect cards, get a full set and create a Badge. Each badge gives you EXP towards your next Steam Level. At each level (after lv5 i think) you get little "perks". All it really amounts to is Steam Cred/showing off. You'll notice on null's and my profile pages, it's all plastered with background pics and widgets, whereas yours is a bit... PlainJane :P The catch is you will almost NEVER get a complete set without trading - i think it's Valve's way of getting more members to interact with each other and make a lil money at the same time. That's all it really is. Nothing exciting at all - unless...

PROFIT!!! (read my 2nd post ;))

EDIT - also, forgot to mention, each time you craft a badge you have (slim) chance of winning a guest pass or coupon or other valuable tradable item (yes there are rare items that people will pay good money for!)

• Like 1

What exactly of the point of these cards?

In a sense they are the meta-game within Steam itself. A lot of games on Steam include digital trading cards. You start to earn trading cards by playing the game associated with that set of trading cards. Once you've got a complete set of cards for that game you can use them to create a badge for that game. Badges are sort of like achievements except less specific. ... But the catch is that you pretty much can't earn a complete set of cards by simply playing the game. This is where trading, selling, and buying cards comes into it.

Ultimately it amounts to a bunch of digital trinkets with no real value or meaning. But once you start getting into it, it's pretty fun and addictive! :)

Naturally Dazzle explained it all in a knowledgeable and thorough manner before I finished this post, but I just kept on typing anyway! :P

Edit: And of course as Dazz pointed out, some of the items you can earn through creating badges have the potential to earn some real dough if you're dedicated enough! As an example check out this bad boy!

• Like 1