All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Only 1 Ultrastik 360 Working

ipdemons

Hey guys, my office has a custom MAME cab in it, and one of our coworkers gets a BIT too into Street Fighter, so we've had to replace some control sticks. We purchased the cabinet from someone that was moving to South America, so unfortunately we don't have a lot of original documentation about the parts he used. We decided to purchase two matching Ultrastik 360s.

The new sticks have been installed and all of the UltraMap stuff has been (as far as we know) properly configured, with the updated firmware and correct Stik ID#s. All our tests show that the sticks work fine. All the other settings have been left at default, with the "Analog" setting.

When inside a game in GameEx however, the Player 1 stick simply does not function. Player 2 is able to maneuver just fine. This is even more confusing because when inside GameEx's normal menus the Player 1 stick is able to navigate around with ease.

Is there a setting buried somewhere in the GameEx configuration menu that we're missing? The stick works great until I get into a game, then it's like it's simply not there, but Stick 2 is great. I've pored over the options but nothing is jumping out at me.

When inside a game in GameEx however, the Player 1 stick simply does not function. Player 2 is able to maneuver just fine. This is even more confusing because when inside GameEx's normal menus the Player 1 stick is able to navigate around with ease.

Is there a setting buried somewhere in the GameEx configuration menu that we're missing? The stick works great until I get into a game, then it's like it's simply not there, but Stick 2 is great. I've pored over the options but nothing is jumping out at me.

Hi ipdemons and Welcome to the GameEx forums!

It's a bit of a misconception to say that any particular game runs "in GameEx". GameEx is simply a frontend for various emulators. So GameEx launches the emulator(s) but any particular game is actually runs within the emulator rather than within GameEx.

In terms of your reported issue, I'm guessing that you need to configure controls for the emulator running your game(s). Based on the fact that this is running in an arcade cab I'm going to take a shot in the dark that the emulator you need to configure is MAME. Do you have a keyboard attached to the cabinet (or can you connect one)? Try hitting tab while in a game and see if it brings up a configuration menu (this will work if you're running MAME although naturally different emulators have different methods of accessing configuration menus).

It might also help to have a look at your GameEx support files; namely your GameEx.ini and your log. This thread contains information on how to access those files. Thanks man!

• Like 1

Just to add to nullPointer's excellent advice, when you hit Tab to bring up the MAME menu, go into "Input (General)" then "Player 1 Controls", then configure your UP-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT on your new stick. Once satisfied just hit Tab again and you should be golden.

• Like 1

That actually made perfect sense as soon as you said it. None of us have ever done MAME emulation before and didn't realize that GameEx was really the frontend. Fixed it up good and easy after that! For whatever reason the previous owner had set second player to be operated via Keyboard+Joypad but Player one was only Keyboard.

Thanks for your help guys!

• Like 2

That actually made perfect sense as soon as you said it. None of us have ever done MAME emulation before and didn't realize that GameEx was really the frontend.

Thanks for your help guys!

Actually, you'd be surprised how many make the same assumption ^_^ I guess it comes with acquiring a second hand system :)

Likewise glad you're all good.