All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[THEME] Star Wars Theme

Kids today just don't know. Sounds like something my dad would say when I was a kid. We had Saturday Morning Cartoons, Nintendo/Atari, Bikes, VHS tapes that never get scratched and unplayable, cassette audio that didn't skip when you listened to it (cd-walkmans SUCKED). I miss those days. Now you got your 4k resolution HD tv's, with no cartoons on saturday morning, and music is digital (mp3, etc) and will never skip or degrade, DVD/BluRays that don't require rewinding, cell phones. nobody goes outside to play anymore. Tang and Kool-Aid was the beverage of choice. The IceCream man meant ICE CREAM and not a drug deal. <sigh>

A couple issues there Han:

VHS and cassettes had break and tape issues, which is arguably worse if you got some tape stuck in the heads and had to disassemble the whole thing, hoping not to break the door or the loading mech.

What do you need Saturday morning cartoons nowadays for? There's at least three or four networks now that run nothing but cartoons, old and new, all day, every day.

Why play outside when you have a Wii-U, Kinect, and Move? At least some games offer exercise nowadays in a world where it's not really even safe to play outside.

And in my town, we not only have an ice cream man, but food trucks to boot.

Oh and yes, I still love me some lemon lime kool-aid, drink it all the time. :)

The world isn't all that bad if you really look around, you just gotta look harder.

Oh yeah, one thing bums me out though...

3uzesyre.jpg

• Like 1

On the bright side you no longer see cassette inners tangled in bushes.

So I really wanted a bigtruck - never got one but I did have a starbird

post-6857-0-81649100-1395120105_thumb.jp

And still have one of these in a box upstairs...

post-6857-0-08854800-1395120150_thumb.jp

But hey who really leaves childhood that far behind - not me, as demonstrated sunday with me coming off my mountain bike doing something a 42 year old should really not still be doing :wacko: .

• Like 1

So going even more off topic than before,(mods please split this thread if you think it needs it?.) I really want to build a cab around my HOTAS.

However after deciding to remove the TV from the bedroom and testing it as a monitor I think it will be hard to go back...Damn!.

post-6857-0-53540200-1395252970_thumb.jp

HOTAS

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
50px-Question_book-new.svg.png
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (September 2010)

HOTAS, an abbreviation for Hands On Throttle-And-Stick, is the name given to the concept of placing buttons and switches on the throttle stick and flight control stick in an aircraft's cockpit, allowing the pilot to access vital cockpit functions and fly the aircraft without having to remove his hands from the throttle and flight controls. Application of the concept was pioneered with the Ferranti AIRPASS radar and gunsight control system used by the English Electric Lightning[1] and is widely used on all modern fighter aircraft such as the F-16 Fighting Falcon.

HOTAS is a shorthand term which refers to the pattern of controls in the modern fighter aircraft cockpit. Having all switches on the stick and throttle allows the pilot to keep his "hands on throttle-and-stick", thus allowing him to remain focused on more important duties than looking for controls in the cockpit. The goal is to improve the pilot's situational awareness, his ability to manipulate switch and button controls in turbulence, under stress, or during high G-force maneuvers, to improve his reaction time, to minimize instances when he must remove his hands from one or the other of the aircraft's controls to use another aircraft system, and total time spent doing so.

The concept has also been applied to the steering wheels of modern open-wheel racecars, like those used in Formula One and the Indy Racing League. HOTAS has been adapted for game controllers used for flight simulators (most such controllers are based on the F-16 Fighting Falcon's) and in cars equipped with radio controls on the steering wheel. In the modern military aircraft cockpit the HOTAS concept is sometimes enhanced by the use of Direct Voice Input to produce the so-called "V-TAS" concept, and augmented with helmet mounted display systems such as the "Schlem" used in the MiG-29 and Su-27, which allow the pilot to control various systems using his line of sight, and to guide missiles by simply looking at the target.

I didn't know what a HOTAS was either. Glad you found an informative description. :)

ANYWAY.. that game looks cool. I wish Star Wars Galaxies wasn't cancelled and all their servers shut down. I used to LOVE playing that game and the "Jump to Lightspeed" expansion made it the absolute best. Free control space fighting sim. I haven't played The Old Republic since it went free-to-play. Does anybody know of the latest expansions that brought flight to the game is also Free control, or if it's still locked to rails like it was upon release?

Since I'm talking about Star Wars, lets bring this thread full circle eh? You guys hear the latest about Star Wars Episode 7? What about the new "Star Wars Rebels" animated show to replace Clone Wars? AND what about Clone Wars?; Do you think Cartoon Network will air the "lost episodes" of season 6? Or do you think they'll release a full Seasons 1-6 bluray set to replace the current Seasons 1-5 set? I'd hate to buy the 1-5 if a 1-6 is on its way. :)

Han, I would love to add something insightful about clone wars but alas I hardly watch tv so have never seen it.

Maybe its just that the original three films hit at just the right time to blow away a lot a males of my generation, but to me nothing recent has captured me like the first 3 did.

I think the first trio were a lot more gritty and less polished than later attempts - or maybe I am just older now??.

1st 3 = Lucas' peak of creativity/drive and vision (although American Graffiti was awfully good)

2nd 3 = a middle aged fella trying to re-capture the glories of his formative years by tinkering with new technology (of which, I am just a guilty, George :) )

imho. :/