All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Magic Engine- Boots to Magic Engine menu instead of game

TheRuralJuror

Hi guys,

Need some help. I have absolutely scoured the GameEx forums trying to find a solution to this problem. I have Magic Engine v1.13 set up as my TG-16 emulator (not TG-16 CD); when I select a rom from GameEx I am taken directly to the Magic Engine menu. The rom doesn't automatically run like all the other emulators I have set up with GameEx. Currently I'm running the demo version of Magic Engine--don't know if that makes a difference--but I did just purchase a key which should be emailed to me within 24-48 hours. This is driving me insane! Someone help!

CustomBackground=
ExcludedFiles=
LaunchAfter=
LaunchBefore=
OLDatZip=
AlsoLaunch=
Debug=False
ShowDesktop=True
RemoveBrackets=True
Capitals=False
ReplaceUnder=True
ReplaceDash=False
SendKeys=
WaitBeforeKeys=
MapKeys=True
WorkingPath=C:\Emulators\MagicEngine
ControlPanelPath=C:\Assets\NEC TurboGrafx-16\Controls
ManualPath=C:\Assets\NEC TurboGrafx-16\Manuals
CartPath=C:\Assets\NEC TurboGrafx-16\Cartridges
BoxPath=C:\Assets\NEC TurboGrafx-16\Boxes
TitlePath=C:\Assets\NEC TurboGrafx-16\Titles
SnapPath=C:\Assets\NEC TurboGrafx-16\Snaps
RomPath=C:\Roms\NEC TurboGrafx-16\Roms
MapFile=[APP]\Map Files\[Console] NEC TurboGrafx-16.map
ConfigFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close)
Database=[Console] NEC TurboGrafx-16
RomFilter=
Command=pce.exe "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]"
StartPageLogo=NEC TurboGrafx-16
StartPageName=NEC TurboGrafx-16
TitleText=NEC TurboGrafx-16
Info=PC Engine (TurboGrafx 16) emulator
RequiredFiles=
Rating=
Version=1.1.3
Emulator=MagicEngine
Category=Console
System=NEC TurboGrafx-16
Enabled=True

Hi RuralJuror and Welcome to the GameEx Forums!

As a Mednafen user I can't speak much in the way of MagicEngine, so I'm not entirely sure how their demo version differs from the paid version. In terms of running from GameEx, have you tried disabling your map file temporarily? That might help to pinpoint whether the issue is with your GameEx config, or with the emulator itself. If nothing else you can always try troubleshooting with runitgame.bat as described in the How to Ask For Help thread (refer to section B below):

4. "Run Last Game",or "RunitGame.bat"
It is important that the last emulator run in GameEx is the one that you are having problems with!
A. Post your "Run Last Game"
or "Runitgame.bat"
Every once in awhile, someone will ask to post the contents of "Runitgame.bat" RunitGame.bat, Is the batch file that GameEx uses to start the emulator, it will show the actual command lines that GameEx is using to start the emulator. To view it, Go to: Start Menu > Program Files > GameEx > Utilities> Run Last Game, and Right click on the icon, and choose "Edit". If Windows wants to know what program to use to open the file, Choose "Select a Program From a List of Installed Programs" Choose "Notepad" from the list. (You may want to make sure that "Use This Program Everytime" is checked.)
Copy and paste the text from Notepad into your next post, by using the keys:
Ctrl + "A" (select all)
Ctrl + "C" (copy)
Ctrl + "V" (paste)

B. Troubleshooting with "Run Last Game"
Follow the instuctions above to open "runitgame.bat" It will look something like this, however, the contents will vary depending on the last emulator that was run in GameEx.

@ECHO OFF
C:
CD "C:\Program Files\Mame0127"
mame.exe 005 -rompath "D:\Mame 0.128 roms"

One way to troubleshoot a problem is to add the word "Pause" at the end of the Runitgame.bat file. When Windows asks "Do you want to save the changes..." Click on "Save". Next, double click on the "Run Last Game" Icon in the Start Menu. This will send the commands again, but the command window will remain open. It may show an error that will help you to understand what is wrong.
If you get this error:
'Emulator name.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
It means that either you have the incorrect name specified for your Emulator.exe, or your working path is incorrect.
If it gives an error that you don't understand, please let us know that you tried this method, and let us know what the error is.

I'm not a hundred on this but I don't think the free version supports command line. I'll check my config when I get home but it looks ok to me.

Adultery is right, i needed the confirmation to prove what my memory was telling me. In that Magic Engine won't let you bypass the GUI unless you purchase it. I don't have it installed atm but i remember purchasing it just to get command line support. Once you do though things become a breeze IIRC. Magic Engine is a great emu indeed and if it meant something to you in the past i would say it is worth the money!

However, as nullPointer mentioned - mednafen is an astonishing emulator, not just for the TG-16/Super but for many systems. It does have a difficult learning curve though - in that i mean you need to alter text and config files manually and be comfortable with it.

If you are not too tech savvy, and the TurboGrafx holds a place in your heart then it is worth the money - buy it. If it holds that place but you are willing to learn how to use and configure a program without a GUI and altering its base-files, go mednafen.

• Like 1

Mednafen is nice, but I got into Magic Engine before it was in a place where Mednafen was a good emulator, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Magic Engine runs everything I throw at it nicely, and I have no problem paying for an emulator if it works nicely.

• Like 1

Mednafen is nice, but I got into Magic Engine before it was in a place where Mednafen was a good emulator, and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Magic Engine runs everything I throw at it nicely, and I have no problem paying for an emulator if it works nicely.

+1 same.

Mednafen is easier to setup and there are front ends for it - I use them to help set it up and launch the games in GameEX. For Mednafen there's a great GUI called "MedGUI" and I think now it is called "MedGUI Reborn" but I use it to setup and config Mednafen how I want it (display, controls etc) and it's not any harder than seting up any emulator so as long as it's in the same folder as Mednafen.

Links:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/medgui/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/medguireborn/

• Like 1