All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

[RESOLVED] Vectrex emulator

Frankybabes

Hi just downloaded the Vectrex emulator, got all the roms but when i run the emulator and choose the game to play the screen goes blank for an instant then goes back to the play screen! any ideas? the command line was inserted by the emulator please find enclosed my config file

[Emulator]

BakSnapPath=
CDCheckFile=
CDCheck=False
RandomMostPlayed=True
ShowMostPlayed=True
PlayInScreenSaver=False
GamesIn7Zips=False
PCGame=False
SelectionMusicFolder=
PlaySelectionMusic=False
DontShowInfo=
PlayMusic=False
CustomBackground=
ExcludedFiles=
LaunchAfter=
LaunchBefore=
OLDatZip=
AlsoLaunch=
Debug=False
ShowDesktop=True
RemoveBrackets=True
Capitals=False
ReplaceUnder=True
ReplaceDash=False
SendKeys=
WaitBeforeKeys=
MapKeys=True
WorkingPath=C:\Emulators\MESS
ControlPanelPath=C:\Assets\GCE Vectrex\Controls
ManualPath=C:\Assets\GCE Vectrex\Manuals
CartPath=C:\Assets\GCE Vectrex\Cartridges
BoxPath=C:\Assets\GCE Vectrex\Boxes
TitlePath=C:\Assets\GCE Vectrex\Titles
SnapPath=C:\Assets\GCE Vectrex\Snaps
RomPath=J:\VECTREX\Vectrex Roms
MapFile=[APP]\Map Files\[Console] GCE Vectrex.map
Enabled=True
System=GCE Vectrex
Category=Console
Emulator=MESS
Version=0.145
Rating=8.1
DownloadUrl=http://www.gamesdbase.com/setupwizard/emulators/download/mess.7z
RequiredFiles=system.img
Website=http://www.mess.org/
Info=Multi system emulator
TitleText=GCE Vectrex
StartPageName=[Console] GCE Vectrex (MESS)
StartPageLogo=Vectrex
Command=mess.exe vectrex -cart "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -view "[ROM]" -joy -now
RomFilter=
Database=[Console] GCE Vectrex
ConfigFile=[Mapping Off] Exit (Process Close)
VideoSnapPath=

Try setting (temporarily) the debug to true. That will PAUSE the command GameEx sends before launching the emulator. Take a look at the command line it creates. I'm willing to bed there's something wrong somewhere. For instance, the RomPath you have specified doesn't exist, or maybe the path to your command.

Something else; you say you just got the emulator. MESS requires the ROM files for each system you plan to emulate. Simply having the MESS program won't cut it. You need the ROM/BIOS of the system. That's the 2nd word in your command: "mess.exe vectrex -cart "[ROMPATH]\[ROMFILE]" -view "[ROM]" -joy -now"" Make sure that you have that in the correct path (I believe the system roms go into the /roms/ path of MESS and are required to remain zipped.

Hope that gets you somewhere. You could also try running the last game via the start menu. That way you skip GameEx completely and can guarantee the problem is just with your settings and not something with the emulator. Find it by going to Start->All Programs->GameEx->Utilities->Run Last Game

• Like 1

for Vectrex, i would not going the Mess.route anyway. Its a crap emulation. Go ParaJVE instead, best Vectrex emulator on planet. Believe me, it is much, much better than MESS.

Download here: http://www.vectrex.fr/ParaJVE/

Command-Line in GameEx-Setup-Wizard: ParaJVE.exe -Game=[ROM] -Fullscreen=TRUE -Menu=OFF -NoSplash

use attached ParaJVE.ini put it in GameEx/CONFIG/EMULATORS

In the Setup-Wizard, choose the ParaJVE.ini in the Advanced Config Tab. Thats all, good luck and have fun :)

ParaJVE.ini

• Like 2

C:\GameEx\DATA>
'' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
C:\GameEx\DATA>chcp 65001
Active code page: 65001
C:\GameEx\DATA>C:
C:\GameEx\DATA>CD "C:\Emulators\ParaJVE"
C:\Emulators\ParaJVE>ParaJVE.exeThe system cannot write to the specified device.
C:\Emulators\ParaJVE>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

[Emulator]
Enabled=True
STARTPAGENAME=ParaJVE
TITLETEXT=Vectrex
StartPageLogo=Vectrex
WorkingPath=C:\Emulators\ParaJVE
RomPath=J:\VECTREX\Vectrex Roms
Command=ParaJVE.exe -Game=[ROM] -Fullscreen=TRUE -Menu=OFF –NoSplash
SnapPath=
VideoSnapPath=J:\VECTREX\Video_MP4_HI_QUAL
BoxPath=J:\VECTREX\Box
ManualPath=J:\VECTREX\Manuals
DATABASE=
TitlePath=J:\VECTREX\Title
CartPath=J:\VECTREX\Cart
ROMFilter=
BakSnapPath=
lastgame=
configFile=
ControlPanelPath=

Installed ParaJVE and set it up, runs fine BUT! please find enclosed my "Last game run" file & and my config: when I go to play the game it comes up with rom not found? which is J:VECTREX\Cart which is correct, is it the command line? I copied and pasted the command line I was given :( what am I missing? ParaJVE runs fine on its own but in B/W.

Either take out the space in your path "Vectrex Roms" or put quotation marks around [ROM] in your command line. See if that does it. I'm not sure about the black and white, probably a setting in the emulator somewhere. Remember, Vectrex IS inherently black and white anyway, it used a color overlay screen to provide colors.

Tried all of the above,still no joy! it comes up with "ParaJVE cannot find the specified game:Mine Storm (1982)(GCE)-FULLSCREEN=TRUE :wub: ParaJVE still runs ok outside of GameEx

Are you using a map file? I'm guessing that's the case, and if so you'll need to insure that you actually have all the ROMs listed in the map file. FWIW, here's my working command line for ParaJVE:

ParaJVE -Fullscreen=TRUE -NoSplash -game=[ROM]

Wait a tic ... are you still trying to use your MESS ROMs in ParaJVE? You don't want to do that. ParaJVE isn't so much an emulator as it is a simulator, and as such it actually includes all the games right with the emulator. Check the following directory:

... \ParaJVE_0.7.0\data\roms\cartridge

Yea I was!, this is really confusing :wacko: is everything included in the emulator? carts,box's,titles,videos, etc, or do I still point to them as you usually do in emulator setup? as you see here. Is the rom path now correct?. It still isnt working with this setup, still not seeing the roms!. Regards. :wub:

[Emulator]

Enabled=True
STARTPAGENAME=ParaJVE
TITLETEXT=Vectrex
StartPageLogo=Vectrex
RomPath=C:\Emulators\ParaJVE\data\roms\cartridge
Command=ParaJVE -Fullscreen=TRUE -NoSplash -game=[ROM]
SnapPath=
VideoSnapPath=J:\VECTREX\Video_MP4_HI_QUAL
BoxPath=J:\VECTREX\Box
ManualPath=J:\VECTREX\Manuals
DATABASE=
TitlePath=J:\VECTREX\Title
CartPath=J:\VECTREX\Cart
ROMFilter=
BakSnapPath=
lastgame=
configFile=
ControlPanelPath=
MapKeys=True

No I don't believe that any display artwork is included with the emulator, so you will need to use standard media folders for that. But ... as always the names of your artwork files will need to match the names of your ROM files which are included with the emulator (and which do not follow MESS naming conventions).

What do you actually see in the C:\Emulators\ParaJVE\data\roms\cartridge directory?

chcp 65001
C:
CD "C:\Emulators\ParaJVE"
@echo.
@echo
@echo.
@echo.
@echo ParaJVE -Fullscreen=TRUE -NoSplash -game=Armor_Attack
@echo.
@echo
@echo.
PAUSE

ParaJVE -Fullscreen=TRUE -NoSplash -game=Armor_Attack

I see a list of roms, and when I run ParaJVE from the desktop I get all the bezels ,carts etc in colour!.It starts ok in GameEx lists all my roms I downloaded but when I go select one and play it says roms cannot be found. Please find "run last game" enclosed.

I can't really see any issue with that runitgame to be honest. Hmm ... I'm wondering whether this might have something to do do with the way the emulator itself is configured. But it would still be vary helpful to take a look at your emulator config exported out of GameEx as well. I'll take another look at my own setup when I get home this evening, but that will probably be about 12 hours or so from the time of this posting.

Here is my config file.Regards Frank

[Emulator]
Enabled=True
STARTPAGENAME=ParaJVE
TITLETEXT=Vectrex
StartPageLogo=Vectrex
RomPath=C:\Emulators\ParaJVE\data\roms\cartridge
Command=ParaJVE -Fullscreen=TRUE -NoSplash -game=[ROM]
SnapPath=
VideoSnapPath=C:\Assets\ParaJVE\Video_MP4_HI_QUAL
BoxPath=C:\Assets\ParaJVE\Box
ManualPath=C:\Assets\ParaJVE\Manuals
DATABASE=
TitlePath=C:\Assets\ParaJVE\Title
CartPath=C:\Assets\ParaJVE\Cart
ROMFilter=
BakSnapPath=
lastgame=
configFile=
ControlPanelPath=
MapKeys=True
Debug=False

Edited by Frankybabes

Ahhh ... I just remembered. You're going to want to use a map file with this bad boy. That's the bad news (well sort of). The good news is that the legwork has already been done for you by our our very own long lost forum sage, fRequEnCy (where are you fReq!?). See here for a ParaJVE 0.7.0 map. The reason for this is that ParaJVE launches games via an ID (rather than a file name) and the IDs are not the same as the ROM file names.

Also! don't forget you're going to need an Advanced Emulator config too. I believe Mr. U-Man has you covered there.

nullPointer is right.... I forgot the mapfile :huh: .

and here is the Advanced Emulator Section, with the file which needs to be activated.

post-9755-0-90916900-1391505899_thumb.jp

It is because ParaJVE is Java based. JVE stands for JavaVectrexEmulator.

So if you start the Emulator, GameEx needs to wait for a process called "Javaw". If the Emulator ends prior this process it wont start properly again ;) .

@Adultery: Its sad, that you will miss this great Emulator, but maybe you dont like Vectrex at all, so its ok to go with MESS ;) . I own a real Vectrex and it is the only Console i kept, all others went to sale :D . It is the unique Vector-Monitor, that make me do this. I even want to buy a second one, to make a awesome mod like this: http://www.e-basteln.de/asteroids/asteroids_intro.html

This is a good example, as Asteroids is a Game which looks lame on original MAME. Hack even AAE looks not as good as the Original. Vector based games are really something that needs more efford to look good on emulated systems.

My aim in emulation, is to be close to the original as possible and MESS really falls out in this category in my own opinion. Yes it has many systems emulated, but many of them in a really poor way (i.e. Vectrex, SNES etc.). But thats a matter of taste.

If you give ParaJVE a chance and compare, you will clearly see what i mean ;).

• Like 1

Hurray!! it is working,!! :) that was hard work for a very basic emulator :huh: thanks to all for the Help couldn't have done it without you ;) Now for PS2! gulp :rolleyes: