All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Help! - Player 1 & Player 2 start @ same time exits game

JK7

First off, thanks to all active in the forums. I'm a new (registered) GameEx user and first time 'MAME'er but I've found everything here very helpful so far and my cocktail cabinet is up and running and the hit of every party!

That said, I have a problem I can't seem to solve nor can I find a thread on it. Since I've had my cab up and running, games would randomly exit during play. After a couple of months, I finally figured out when it's happening. When playing (especially games with a continue option), should the Player 1 button and Player 2 button be pushed simultaneously, GameEx is recognizing this dual key press as 'Escape' and immediately exits the game. My work around so far has been to tell people not to hit both buttons at the same time but between the heat of battle, and kids, it happens anyway.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a workaround, or really why this is happening... I've tested the 'key read' and GameEx is recognizing each key correctly when pressed one at a time but, sure enough, if you press them together, GameEx shows 'Escape' (same as my Exit key) as having been hit. So, I'm not really sure if this is an IPac problem, or a GameEx problem - but I would sure like to find an answer.

I've seen on other threads where people didn't have a dedicated exit key (I do) and they were using Player1+Player2 as an exit/escape option so I'm wondering if this was done by design. However, I hate it and would like to disable it but can't figure it out.

Help!

Thanks.

some ware in the settings you should see a way to change the controler settings just remove the one for exit

thi this migh need to be done for each emu in you list im not sure

i cant help any farther then this because my gaming comp is down for repairs right now

Check and see what keys you have mapped to global exit under input settings in the configuration wizard, that may be a problem if you have those keys mapped as a close combo. :-)

Thanks, I had already tried that. GameEx is set to exit a game only on an 'Escape' command. If I go into any of the areas to set keys, I can see where my Exit key is 'Escape' - as it should be. Using one of the same areas within GameEx, if I press player 1, I see the key is 'D1'. If I press player 2, it is 'D2', but if I press them together, sure enough what do I see but 'Escape'. So basically, Gamex is seeing a simultaneous player 1/player 2 (D1/D2) press as 'Escape'. It makes no sense and I'm at a loss.

I wonder if the problem is in the ipac, like it's sending that combo when you press those two keys?

Someone who uses an iPac will have to step in and explain how to check in the editor because I don't use one, but we've had a similar issue in the past and traced it back to the hardware.

IPAC is definitielty the issue here, by default it comes configured that P1 Start is the shift key and pressing P1 and the P2 send the Escape key.

I never had any issues with it myself before I added a dedicated Exit button to my cab but you can easily change it through the WinIPAC software available at Ultimarc

• Like 1

Confirmed, this was the problem. I was able to load up the Ultimarc software and found where P1/P2 was mapping to 'Escape'. I changed it, and problem solved. Thanks all for the input.