All my products and services are free. All my costs are met by donations I receive from my users. If you enjoy using any of my products, please donate to support me. Thank you for your support. Tom Speirs

Patreon

Running Retail PS2 Games With PCSX2

KRC

I have PCSX2 running with no issues, I was given a few retails PS2 games yesterday and wanted to know from you guys if there are any Pros/Cons with running PS2 retail discs in the DVD drive through PCSX2.

Cheers

I only have retail PS2 games, and I can tell you that having games running from the drive vs running from the hdd makes no difference. In my specific case anyway. I thought I would get a performance boost by ripping it to an ISO since my system could barely handle the PS2 games. Turns out it didn't make any difference; it still sucked. :) No harm in trying in your case, but ripping to an ISO should make it run better. I just didn't notice when I tried.

Running a game in PCSX2 in ISO format rather than the actual game disc doesn't really give any big speedups other than loading times. I've brought this up over at the pcsx2 forums some time ago and this was the answer I was given, although I was told the game your running could be a factor as well. I've noticed as the emulator improves, so do the speeds... some games i couldn't run in previous versions of pcsx2 now run much better in 1.0 and 1.1beta. I hear 1.2 is coming soon...